Enjoy all the flavors of fall in this easy Pumpkin Cobbler. The creamy pumpkin pie layer with a crunchy toffee pecan topping makes this the ultimate fall dessert.
This pumpkin dessert with yellow cake mix is one of my favorite things to make every fall. Years ago I even won first place at a fall dessert contest with this very same pumpkin cobbler recipe. It's that delicious.
If you love pumpkin pie or pumpkin bundt cake, you are going to adore this sweet pumpkin dessert. It is so easy to make, and everyone loves the creamy pumpkin pie filling with a buttery streusel topping.
It also goes by other names such as pumpkin crunch cake or pumpkin dump cake. As long as you call it delicious, I don't care what you name it.
⭐ Why You Will Love This Pumpkin Dessert
Our pumpkin cobbler is the ultimate fall dessert because it is easy to make. Our secret shortcut is to use a cake mix for the streusel topping.
This dessert can be made and in your oven in under 15 minutes. All you have to do is mix, dump, and bake. Then sit back and enjoy the amazing pumpkin spice smell in your kitchen as the cake bakes.
Want to impress your holiday guests with an amazing pumpkin dessert? Make this easy dump cake for Thanksgiving dinner or any fall party and watch it be devoured.
📋 Key Ingredients
With a few basic ingredients, a yellow cake mix, and a can of pumpkin, you can create this delicious pumpkin cobbler recipe. The creamy pumpkin pie filling and a crunchy, buttery cake topping work so well together.
- Pumpkin Puree - Make sure you buy pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling. The canned pumpkin pie filling has sugar and spices added to it.
- Sugar - A mixture of brown sugar and granulated sugar sweetens the filling.
- Spices - Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and sugars blend so well together.
- Cornstarch - Helps to thickens the pumpkin pie filling.
- Milk - Adds moisture and makes it creamy. We usually use 2%, but you could use whole or low fat as well.
- Dry Cake Mix - A yellow mix is the traditional flavor for this pumpkin dessert, but you can use white or spice.
- Toffee Bits - Find these in your grocery store by the baking isle. If you don't like toffee you can leave them out.
- Pecans - This gives a nice nutty flavor and a great crunch.
- Butter - Melted and drizzled over the top will give it a nice buttery flavor.
⏲️ How to Make Pumpkin Cobbler
This easy pumpkin dump cake recipe comes together in minutes. Follow our easy instructions and your dessert will turn out perfectly every time.
- Make the pumpkin filling. Add the pumpkin puree, sugars, spices, salt, cornstarch, eggs, and milk to a large bowl.
- Whisk or using a hand mixer to mix the wet ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Make the cake mix topping. Pour the dry cake mix, chopped pecans, and toffee bits into a bowl.
- Stir the dry ingredients together very well.
- Assemble the layers. Pour the pumpkin mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mixture evenly on top of the pumpkin batter.
- Slowly drizzle melted butter over the top of the cake mix. Make sure you pour it evenly over everything.
- Place the pan in a preheated oven and bake for 1 hour. The butter and yellow cake mix will come together as the pumpkin crisp bakes.
🥣 Serving Suggestions
After this magic pumpkin pie cake comes out of the oven, you have two options for eating it.
- WARM - Scoop a large serving of warm pumpkin pecan cobbler into a bowl. Top it with vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, and chopped pecans. The ice cream starts to melt and get all gooey with the pumpkin filling.
- COLD - Let the pumpkin dump cake cool at room temperature for 2 hours, then refrigerate it for a few hours. It will set up, and you will be able to slice out a piece that resembles cake. Spoon a big helping of homemade whipped cream on top, add a few nuts, and dig in.
📖 Storage Recommendations
You can keep the pumpkin cobbler at room temperature for just a few hours. Once it has cooled, cover it with a tight fitting lid or plastic wrap. Place it in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
👩🏻🍳 Tips and Tricks
- Do not use a pumpkin pie mix because the added sugar and spices will affect how your filling bakes.
- A white or spice cake mix can be used instead of the yellow cake mix. A chocolate cake mix would also be amazing.
- Change up the nuts by using walnuts or almonds.
- Make the dessert nut free by omitting the nuts from the dessert.
- Serve this easy pumpkin cobbler with a copycat Starbucks pumpkin cream cold brew and enjoy the fall season.
💭 Recipe FAQ'S
Dump cakes like this got their name because you basically "dump" everything in the pan and then bake it. I love how easy it is to have a delicious dessert with very little work.
The pumpkin cobbler can be kept on the counter for a few hours. After that it needs to be refrigerator in a tightly sealed container.
Yes, a pumpkin cobbler is a great dessert to make ahead of time. It will keep for a few days if properly refrigerated.
Well, if your family is like mine, it will be eaten up quick! But if you eat a little slower than we do, leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Technically you can, but the texture may change as it thaws. I would recommend making it one or two days ahead of time. You can eat it cold or reheat it for your family gathering.
📋 More Easy Pumpkin Recipes
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Easy Pumpkin Crunch Cobbler was first published September 8, 2016. The post was updated and republished September 2022.