Warm up that oven because you will love this Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe. A creamy pumpkin pie layer covered with a crunchy cake topping is the ultimate fall dessert.
Award Winning Pumpkin Cobbler
A few weeks ago I was going through my old recipe box and came across this pumpkin cobbler recipe that I had forgotten about. Many, many years ago this very same recipe won first place when I entered it in a fall dessert contest.
This pumpkin cobbler with a yellow cake mix is one of my very favorite things to make once fall arrives. You may have a similar recipe, but know it as pumpkin crunch cake or pumpkin dump cake.
Whatever you call it, the creamy pumpkin pie filling with a buttery crumb cake topping is divine!!!
What is a Dump Cake?
Isn't that the worst name for a dessert? How can something so delicious have such an unattractive name?
Dump cakes like this got their name because you basically "dump" everything in the pan and then bake it. I love how easy it is to have a delicious dessert with very little work.
Don't love pumpkin? Try this Blackberry Cobbler with cake mix instead.
With a few basic ingredients, a yellow cake mix and pumpkin, you can create this delicious pumpkin cobbler recipe. The creamy pumpkin pie filling and a crunchy, buttery cake topping work so well together.
- Pumpkin Puree - Make sure you buy pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling. The canned pumpkin pie filling has sugar and spices added to it.
- Sugar - A mixture of brown sugar and granulated sugar sweetens the filling.
- Spices - Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and sugars blend so well together.
- Cornstarch - Thickens the pumpkin pie filling.
- Eggs - Binds the pumpkin puree together.
- Milk - Adds moisture and makes it creamy.
- Yellow Cake Mix - This is the traditional flavor, but you can change up the cake flavor if you like. A white cake mix or a spice cake mix are great options as well. If you love chocolate and pumpkin, try a chocolate cake mix.
- Toffee Bits - Find these in your grocery store by the baking isle. If you don't like toffee you can leave them out.
- Pecans - This gives a nice nutty flavor and a great crunch.
- Butter - Melted and drizzled over the top will give it a nice buttery flavor.
How to make Pumpkin Dump Cake
This pumpkin dump cake recipe comes together in minutes. Here are some super easy steps in preparing this pumpkin cobbler. The full ingredient list is at the bottom of the post.
- Preheat the oven and spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the pumpkin, sugar, spices, salt, cornstarch, eggs, and milk together in a large bowl.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Mix together the dry cake mix, chopped pecans, and toffee bits. Sprinkle the mixture evenly on top of the pumpkin batter.
- Melt the butter and drizzle it evenly all over the top of the cake and place in the oven. The butter and yellow cake mix will come together as the pumpkin crisp bakes.
Ways to serve this Pumpkin Dessert
After this magic pumpkin cobbler comes out of the oven, you have a couple options for eating it.
- WARM - Scoop a big bowl of warm pumpkin pecan cobbler. Top it with vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, and a few chopped pecans. The ice cream starts to melt and get all gooey with the pumpkin filling.
- COLD - Let the pumpkin dump cake cool and then refrigerate it for a few hours. It will set up, and then you will be able to slice out a piece that resembles cake. Spoon a big helping of homemade whipped cream on top, add a few nuts, and then go to town on it.
Does this need to be refrigerated?
Yes, whatever leftovers you have, store them in the refrigerator in a covered container.
How long does this pumpkin dump cake last?
Well, if your family is like mine, it will be eaten up quick! But if you eat a little slower than we do, leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Can I freeze dump cake?
Technically you can, however, to get the best flavor and texture I would not. You can make it ahead of time and simply eat it cold or reheat it for your family gathering.
More Easy Pumpkin Recipes
- Best Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Cake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites
- Layered Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Easy Pumpkin Crunch Cobbler was first published September 8, 2016. The post was updated and republished September 2, 2020.