A pot of this Spicy Chicken and Rice Soup is an easy and delicious way to warm up on a cool fall day. This easy homemade chicken soup recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes.
One of our favorite soups is one that we enjoyed at Chili's restaurant years and years ago.
It was such a simple soup that I came home and made a homemade version using ingredients from our fridge and pantry because we had to have it again. It is now one of the most requested soups in our house.
Our youngest asks me to make this chicken and rice soup and this Pizza Minestrone Soup all the time. That is huge because he is kind of picky with the things he will eat.
This chicken soup is definitely a recipe that stays on rotation in our house! A big bowl of this Spicy Chicken and Rice Soup is the perfect comfort food during the cooler months.
How to make Spicy Chicken and Rice Soup:
- Sauce the onions in butter until softened.
- Add the garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes with chiles, chicken, rice, and lime juice and bring to a low simmer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt and pepper and cilantro.
- Serve the chicken rice soup immediately with toppings.
PRO TIP: To make this a lean and green and low carb dinner, I also used some of this Easy Cauliflower Rice that I had frozen. You can also buy a bag from the freezer section in our local grocery store.
Toppings for Chicken Soup:
We like to add different things to the top of our soup to jazz it up and add more flavor. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Avocados
- Oyster Crackers
- Extra Cilantro
Everyone in our family loves this easy comfort food meal. It's the perfect dinner to make ahead for busy nights.
Can you freeze chicken soup with rice?
Yes, you can. Just make sure to cool it completely, then spoon into covered airtight containers or heavy duty freezer bags and freeze. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat in a pot over medium heat.
What kind of chicken is good for soup?
You can use whatever chicken you have on hand. We usually use shredded rotisserie chicken or diced grilled chicken when we make it. You can also use canned chicken if that is all you have on hand.
What rice is best for soup?
Most types of rice will be ok in soup. Feel free to use cooked white, brown, black, jasmine, or frozen cauliflower rice in this spicy chicken soup.
More easy soup recipes you may like:
- Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Orzo Soup
- Creamy Potato and Bacon Soup
- Best Creamy Tomato Soup
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also have a fun Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It's a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what's new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower rice
- 2 - 10 ounce cans tomatoes & green chilies, undrained
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese
- diced avocado
- Sauté the onion in the butter for a few minutes. Add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, chicken, cauliflower rice, and lime juice. Continue to stir over medium heat until it begins to simmer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Top with cheddar cheese and avocado, if desired. Makes about 10 cups of soup.
*You can also use any variety of cooked rice, if you prefer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 846mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g
*The post for Spicy Chicken and Rice Soup was first published on February 1, 2011. The photos were updated, and it was republished on October 17, 2019.