Warm up with a bowl of easy Chicken Noodle Soup on those chilly winter nights. In just 30 minutes you can enjoy a homemade chicken soup loaded with noodles, veggies, and chunks of chicken. This classic comfort food is perfect when you are cold or feeling under the weather.
There is just something so comforting about a bowl of hot soup when the weather is frightful outside. I love how it warms you up from the inside out.
We enjoy making this creamy tomato soup or this broccoli cheese soup when it starts to get chilly here. Although, I think this easy chicken noodle soup is my all time favorite.
Sometimes the easiest recipes are the best. This one is ready in minutes and has so much flavor. It's sure to become a family favorite.
Why This Soup is Best
Skip the canned soup! Chicken noodle soup is one of the easiest soups to make. It's perfect when the weather outside is chilly or when you are feeling a little bit under the weather.
- Quick and Easy - Enjoy all the flavor of a homemade soup in a shorter amount of time.
- Ready in 30 Minutes - Using a few store bought ingredients like chicken broth and rotisserie chicken gets this soup on your table sooner.
- Healthy and Hearty - This soup is full of protein and veggies. Plus, there are no chemicals or preservatives, so you can feel great about serving your family this easy soup.
- Better than Store Bought - Once you see how quickly you can make chicken noodle from scratch, you will never buy canned soup again.
Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
Make this chicken noodle soup recipe with just a few simple ingredients. It's easy to make a big pot of flavorful soup in minutes.
- Vegetables - Onions, celery, and carrots are the most traditional veggies for this soup.
- Chicken Broth - You want to choose a good quality of broth to give this soup the best flavor. One of our favorites is Swanson's. Lower sodium broth will also allow you to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Egg Noodles - These are the most common noodles used in this soup recipe. You can use whatever you like, but you will need to adjust your boiling time based on the type of noodle is used.
- Seasonings - Dried oregano, salt, and pepper add flavor.
- Chicken - Save time when making this chicken soup by using a store bought rotisserie chicken. Although, you can use whatever cooked chicken you have on hand. Grilled chicken or canned chicken will work and taste great in this easy soup recipe.
BruCrew Tip: Chop the veggies the night before and place them in Ziplock baggies or containers in the fridge, so that you can have dinner on the table quicker the next day.
How to make Chicken Noodle Soup
This homemade chicken noodle soup is so easy to make, and it can be ready to eat in about 30 minutes. Chopping the veggies takes the most time.
- Chop the onions, celery, and carrots into bite sized pieces. Sauté them in a big pot with some olive oil until slightly tender.
- Pour in the chicken broth and oregano. Bring the mixture to a full rolling boil.
- Add the noodles and cooked shredded chicken and reduce to medium-high heat. Cook for about 9 minutes. The cooking time will depend on the type of noodles you use.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
I love how easy chicken soup is to modify based on what you like. Here are a few different ways we like to change it up.
- Creamy - Add ½ cup heavy cream to the broth for a creamy chicken noodle soup.
- More Veggies - You can add spinach or kale to the broth right before serving.
- Rice - Change out the noodles for rice. You can also use cauliflower rice, potatoes, or quinoa.
- Lemon - A splash of lemon juice will brighten the flavor of the soup.
- Herbs - Try using thyme, dill, Italian seasoning, or bay leaves.
We usually make a large pot of this soup at the beginning of the week, so our family can enjoy it all week long.
In the Refrigerator
- Let the soup cool and the place in an airtight container in the fridge where it will keep for 3-4 days.
- The noodles do absorb the broth the longer it sits, so they may get soggy after a few days. You can store the noodles separately and add as needed.
In the Freezer
- Let the soup cool completely before placing in freezer safe bags or containers. Freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge for 24 hours before serving.
- This soup does freeze best without the noodles. If you plan on freezing this soup right away, hold off on adding the noodles. Add the noodles to the pot when you reheat the soup on the stove top.
- Spoon single servings into a microwave safe bowl and heat until you reach your desired temperature.
- Place all the soup in a large pot on the stove top and reheat the entire batch over medium heat.
- If the soup needs more liquid, add extra chicken broth instead of water.
Tips and Tricks
- Chop the veggies into bite sized pieces. This way they cook evenly and are easier to eat.
- You can saute the veggies in butter instead of oil. Although, this will make the broth solidify a little bit when you refrigerate leftovers.
- If you are not a fan of oregano, use thyme, parsley, or dill.
- Check the soup often as you are making it and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Use whatever noodles you like. Egg noodles are used in the classic soup recipe, but rotini, bowtie, spaghetti, or macaroni noodles. Make sure you do not overcook the noodles.
- Use a low sodium chicken broth if you are concerned with the amount of salt in the recipe.
- For a full meal, serve the soup with a side salad, garlic bread, and chocolate chip brownies.
This chicken noodle soup is a great soup to make the night before. Let the soup cool before covering the pot and placing it in the refrigerator. The next day place the pot on the stove and heat until warmed through.
Egg noodles are the most common pasta used in chicken soup, but you can use whatever noodle you like or have on hand.
You can use rice, cauliflower rice, or zoodles to make it a gluten-free or keto friendly. This chicken Alfredo zoodle soup is one of our favorite healthy soup recipes.
You could also use potatoes, gnocchi, or quinoa if you wanted something other than noodles.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Easy Pizza Soup
- Chicken Corn Chowder
- Creamy Italian Tomato Soup
- White Chicken Chili
- Loaded Cauliflower Soup
- No Bean Chili
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Chicken Noodle Soup was first published on January 2015. It was updated and republished December 2019.
I stumbled upon this recipe while looking for recipes using chicken breast in a can. A lady I worked for years ago made Broccoli 🥦 and cheese 🧀 soup one time and it was THE BOMB💣! Actually, now that I think of it, I haven't eaten it since! IM SO GLAD I CAME ACROSS THIS RECIPE! Now, I just hope it's as good as my boss lady's was! Lol.
Soup is my all-time favorite. it sounds tasty, just a simple and amazing recipe that everyone can make easily. Thanks for such nice content.
My son loved this when he was feeling sick and it helped him recover from the flu. Chicken soup really is good for the soul. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Looks like an easy and tasty recipe - pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich and that is perfect cold weather comfort food!
I'm 15 years old and I made this soup for lunch today and I am completely in love with this recipe. i will recommend this recipes to everyone i know!!!!! 🙂 🙂
Sarah @ The Gold Lining Girl
I will forever love all kinds of soup, and I never turn down another recipe for chicken noodle. I'm a soup nut! I love the idea of preparing the veggies ahead of time in a ziploc. That's a great tip! Stay warm, girl! I've heard how frigid it is everywhere! I know the country is cold when even Florida is 41 degrees. SOUP, please!!! 🙂
Yes!! I am all about the soups right now!! We've already had three this week! lol. Chicken noodle will always be my fave though, love this!