Chocolate Coconut Cake

You know the days…
the ones that make you want to consume chocolate
at an alarming rate?
Chocolate Coconut Cake - chocolate and coconut in one divine cake www.insidebrucrewlife.com
Well…it was that kind of weekend.
And not because it was Easter and the bunny brought lots of chocolate.
First thing that made me want to dive into the chocolate bowl
was doing a research paper with the 2nd grader…
over a holiday weekend.
Yes, we knew about it for a couple of weeks
and yes, we could have (should have) worked on it before.
We did actually do the research part of it last week,
so all we had left to do was write it in his own words.
I now understand the phrase “like pulling teeth”
Sheesh!!! He wanted to take breaks, wanted to play with the kids,
wanted to eat something, wanted to not do it at all.
I had to be the mean mom
and make him sit at the desk for a whole hour.

I should have had the chocolate at the desk with us:-)
Then we started getting ready for church Friday night.
Not a big deal…
until my daughter started to get dressed.
Oh my word!!!
The first dress “made her look fat”…
and there was no convincing her otherwise!
The next dress she just “didn’t like it”.
There were many tears and outbursts
until she chose another dress.
And she is only 10…I am skeeered for the teen years.
Bring on more chocolate!!!!
Fast forward about 4 hours…
and we are now home from church.
I walk into our bedroom and I am confronted with
the wrapper to all the Easter candy!!!!
I swear our dog goes into EVERY room and sniffs.
She finds anything and everything that is food if it isn’t put up.
I had the kids Easter stuff in tied up in plastic bags
and put on the table by my bed.
Bad idea!!!!
She tore the bags apart
and ate every single piece of chocolate!!!
AAAACCCCKKKK!!!
I needed that chocolate!!!!
Now just so you know…she is fine.
It was just 3 cheapy chocolate bunnies
and a few reeses pieces that she got.
But oh, I was SO not happy with her!!!!
The last thing that makes me want to bury myself in chocolate…
I am officially on the downward slope to 40!!!
Today is my birthday and I am now 36!
Chocolate needs to be a part of today for sure.
Maybe I should make another yummy chocolate coconut cake?
If you have had a bad day or WEEKEND,
I suggest this yummy cake:-)
It will make all the trouble melt away!!!
Chocolate Cream of Coconut Cake

Yield: 20 servings

Chocolate Cream of Coconut Cake

Chocolate cake topped with Cream of Coconut milk and Cool Whip

1 chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1 1/4 c. water
1 can (15 oz.)cream of coconut
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 (8 oz.) container cool whip
2 c. shredded coconut, divided

1. Preheat oven to 350*. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside. Beat cake mix, oil, eggs, and water for 2 minutes. Spread in prepared pan and bake for 28 minutes. Take a fork and poke holes all over the cake.
  2. Place the can of cream of coconut in a pan of hot water for 5 minutes. Mix the sweetened condensed milk and the cream of coconut in a bowl and pour over the cake slowly, letting it soak into the holes. Let cool completely.
  3. Spread 1/2 c. coconut on a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, stirring often. Let cool. Frost the cooled cake with cool whip. Top with plain shredded coconut. Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top for color. Keep refrigerated.

Notes

I found the Cream of Coconut in the alcoholic aisle of Walmart. It is completely alcohol free though!

Comments

Happy Birthday despite the inconveniences….LOL!! Sounds like an adventurous weekend (holiday). And the downward slope to 40 isn’t really that bad, even though I cried the whole entire day on my 40th birthday…..But it’s something you quickly get over. The coconut cake looks fantastic, and would definitely be a lift for an “ICK” day.
    Angie at A’lil Country Sugar

Yummmyyyyy! I hope this cake did the trick to squish your chocolate craving, and HAPPPPPYYY BIRTHDAY!! I really hope it turns around for you :) smile!

This sounds like my kind of cake! What is cream of coconut. Please let me know the brand and what section of the grocery store to look for it. I really want to make this cake! Thanks a bunch!

Sounds like it was definitely a chocolate weekend, for sure!

I turn 36 next month…not looking forward to that downhill slide to 40 (OMG, how did I get this old?), but this chocolate coconut cake would probably cheer me up!

Have a wonderful, fabulous birthday!

Happy Birthday! Sorry about the mishap with the dog, I too have a food-sniffing extraordinaire for a dog, thankfully she has a stomach of lead.
    I love the looks of this cake, and the chocolate/coconut combination. Can’t wait to give it a try- though I should probably wait until company is coming so I don’t single-handedly devour the whole thing.
    As for cream of coconut, I’ve had some luck finding it in the Mexican food section (sometimes at the discount grocery).

6. LynDuh says

Saw the picture…fell in love. My birthday is May 10th and am going to be making this to take to work for a treat. I’ll let you know how it went over! I’m sure it will be a home run! :)

Lyn Duh you share your birthday with a rock star (Bono) as for this cake recipe, I will try it out for a picnic, or a potluck. Maybe for my bf’s birthday in November. Only this time I will unmold the cake, ( take it out of the pan) wrap a light card board ( or wax paper) liner around it, and pour the coconut mixure over it, let it sit for a few minutes, then remove the paper liner from around it, and spread the cool whip® over it. It will look just like a professional cake chef did it. if you follow this trick. :)

8. Veli says

I don’t know what i did wrong, but my coconut/condensed milk mixture was soooo thick it sat on top of the cake instead of soaking in. what did i do wrong? Thank you! Everybody loved the result, but I know it was not the right one! Thank you!

Did you poke lots of holes in the cake? And did you pour the milk on while the cake was hot? I very slowly pour the milk on…actually it’s more like drizzle it on with a spoon trying to get the milk into all the little holes. You can also poke the cake with the end of a wooden spoon for bigger holes for the milk to go into. I usually just use a fork when doing the sweetened condensed milk. I’m glad that everyone still loved how it tasted though.

• Veli says

Thank you for the quick response. Yes- I did poke a LOT of holes. But the mixture /coconut cream+milk was almost like a dough… there was no way it is soaking in…. is it possible it is coconut milk? because what I found as coconut cream was not in cans, but in boxes and very hard. When put in hot water it become more runny, but not enough… Any suggestions? Can you find a pic of what you bought?

9. rebeca says

Veli, did you heat the coconut cream? it needs to be melted into a liquid form, in Canada i havent found coconut cream but coconut milk, which looks the same as everyone has described, not sure if its the same product with different names but it worked

10. danijela says

what is in the chocolate cake mix? Can i make my own brownie like mix, cause i dont buy cake mixes.

I have never made this particular recipe without a box mix. The cake mix isn’t prepared the same way a normal cake is made. It’s worth buying a $1 box mix to try these. Or if you want to experiment with your own version, keep me posted on how it works.

Made this cake for Easter and everyone loved it. It’s kinda sweet, so I plan on making it tmw for my hubby’s birthday with the yellow cake mix instead of chocolate like he suggested. Hopefully it comes out as good as the chocolate one did.