This easy Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake is a refreshing and light dessert for hot summer days. The creamy lemon frosting pockets and fluffy strawberry mousse make this a favorite with everyone.
The weather here in west Texas cannot make up it’s mind. One day it is hot and sunny and the next day it is cool and windy. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not complaining at all.
I would gladly take these type of days over chilly and snowy days because I have definitely become accustomed to warmer weather. Fingers crossed we never move back to the frozen tundra that is the north. Ha!
On those sunny days we have been doing a little bit of spring cleaning outside the house. We have planted flowers, watered the grass, and pulled weeds so far. My husband has been trying to get our pressure washer working again.
This area gets a lot of dust blowing around in the wind, and it coats the houses and windows. I know ours could use a good power clean to bright up the exterior.
Another thing I did the other day was to cut down a big bush in the front of the house. It was one of the bushes that probably started out small, but grew really quickly and kind of was taking over the front window.
I had mentioned to my husband that we should remove it, but then we never did anything. One day after I got back from my morning run, I grabbed the gardening shears and went to town on the bush. An hour later, it was gone, and there was a huge mess of branches in the front yard.
With all these warm summer like days, my brain has gone into coming up with fruity desserts nonstop. Earlier this month I made these cute Mini Lemon Cheesecake Pies, and now I can’t stop thinking about how to include more lemon into my baking.
Our church youth group had a family activity a few weeks ago, and of course, my job was to bring dessert. They know by now that I have my own “store” in my pantry, so making desserts is never a problem.
One of my absolutely favorite ways to use pie filling is not to make a pie. Shocking, I know.
Adding it to cream cheese or Cool Whip creates a light fluffy mousse that I just cannot get enough of. It is perfect for using in parfaits, fillings, or as a quick and easy frosting.
How to make a Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake:
- After baking the cake, poke it with a wooden spoon handle to create bigger holes.
- Pour an entire can of sweetened condensed milk on top of the warm cake. The milk will soak into the cake creating a creamy and decadent chilly cake.
- Heat a can of lemon frosting in the microwave for 30-60 seconds, then pour that on top too. The frosting settles into the holes and creates these creamy little pockets of frosting that just goes so well with all the strawberries.
- Frost the top of the lemon cake with the fluffy strawberry mousse frosting.
- Top it with some fresh diced strawberries.
This lemon poke cake will disappear in no time at all.You should have seen the adults jumping up to go grab another piece before someone else could beat them to it. It was quite comical.
But also quite satisfying because that just confirmed to me that this Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake was a definite winner!
More lemon recipes you may enjoy:
This easy Strawberry Lemon Snack Cake is delicious anytime of day. Fresh strawberry pie filling and a lemon glaze will have you smiling in no time.
Sweet and sour pair together to make these the Best Lemon Bars for your tastebuds. They are the perfect treat for dessert.
Fluffy lemon frosting and a pocket of lemon filling makes these Lemon Coconut Cupcakes a bright and refreshing spring dessert!
These easy Lemon Hand Pies are so easy to make and are such a cute little dessert.
This creamy Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake Salad is full of fresh berries and lemon flavor.
Connect more with Inside BruCrew Life!
Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag your photos with #brucrewlifebaking, so I can see all the Inside BruCrew Life recipes you are making.
- 1 lemon cake mix
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (16 ounce) container lemon frosting
- 1 (21 ounce) can strawberry pie filling
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Make and bake the lemon cake mix according to the package directions.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes, then use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the warm cake.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top of the cake, letting it soak into the holes.
- Remove the foil liner from the can of frosting. Microwave the frosting for 30 seconds. Stir and pour over the top of the cake. Spread it out with a spatula.
- Let the cake cool for an hour, then refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Pour the pie filling in a bowl and use a fork to smash the berries. Fold the container of Cool Whip into the pie filling.
- Spread on top of the cooled cake. Sprinkle the diced strawberries on top. Keep the cake refrigerated until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.