Chocolate Coconut Bars

These Chocolate Coconut Bars are filled with a delicious coconut filling and topped with chocolate ganache.  The perfect summer time dessert when you are craving a bit of the tropics with your chocolate.

Chocolate Coconut Bars - chocolate cake mix bars filled with a coconut filling and topped with chocolate ganache

Last week we were at the beach, and we decided to take a day to explore some state parks.  Everyone had gotten a little sunburned throughout the week, and we thought a day out of the sun (kind of) would be best.  We packed up a cooler with some water and apples and headed out.  It was about a 30 minute drive to where we thought the park was, so we let the kids play on their ipods until we got there.  As we got closer to the state park, the drive was getting prettier and prettier.  The road we were on had trees growing up and around the road creating a tunnel of tree branches and Spanish moss.  It was gorgeous!

We told the kids to go ahead and shut off the electronic devices and look at the beautiful scenery.  Imagine our disbelief when our youngest piped up and asked “what is scenery?”.  Kids these days are so used to being on their ipods, Xboxes, and TV that they are unimpressed with the nature and beauty that is all around them.  It might be a very long summer for our kiddos…because we are giving them a set time limit each day for all those electronic devices.  They are going to have to use their imaginations and their toys this summer.

We finally found one of the parks and set out on a trail.  Of course I forgot to pack the bug spray.  This made for a very interesting (and funny) hike.  There were some flies and mosquitoes that just wouldn’t stop buzzing our heads.  It was so comical as I watched our city kids walk the trail swatting the air like mad.   I don’t think they were liking this “scenery”, but we pressed on and finished the hike. We even found another park and did another 2 mile hike through the sand and forest.  This one had a little less bug swatting…maybe they were just used to the bugs by then? It also might have been the snake we found up in a tree that distracted them.  The rest of the hike was made with everyone’s eye’s looking towards the heavens.  No one wanted a snake to drop down uninvited on their head.

I wish I had been swatting away these chocolate coconut bars after I made them.  They were so down right delicious that I just couldn’t stop eating bite after bite.  I have a thing for adding coconut to my baked goods.  Check out these Caramel Coconut Bars and these Lemon Magic Bars.  Both are filled with that shredded goodness.  It is my way of bringing some of the tropics into my desserts.

Lucky for me (and my jean capris), my husband decided to visit the guys from his old job the next day.  I pretty much threw all the chocolate cake bars into a box and swatted them out the door.  Then I promptly wished I had kept one hidden bar to munch on.

These are too dangerous to have in the house…just so you know.  I wouldn’t make them unless you have willpower of steel or have a picnic to go too.  Just thought you might like to have that little warning before giving them a try.

But seriously, do make them!!!  I promise you, if you love coconut and you love chocolate, these bars will be your new best friend. I definitely can’t wait to make another batch.

Make sure you don’t miss any of the crazy baking
by following the BruCrew here:

FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN

Chocolate Coconut Bars

Yield: 24 bars

Chocolate Coconut Bars

Chocolate cake mix bars filled with a coconut filling and topped with a chocolate ganache.

1 chocolate cake mix (I used Pillsbury)
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
4 cups shredded coconut
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup whipping cream

1. Combine the cake mix, milk, and melted butter until crumbly and wet. Press half the dough into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Set aside.
  2. Mix together the sweetened condensed milk and the coconut. Spread over the dough in the pan. Crumble the rest of the cake dough over the top of the coconut mixture. Bake at 350* for 26-28 minutes. Let cool completely.
  3. In a small saucepan bring the whipping cream to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips. Stir until creamy. Spread over the top of the cake bars. Let set before cutting into bars. Makes 24 bars. Store covered on the counter for 4-5 days.

Other easy coconut filled bars that you won’t be able to resist making and eating:

Homemade Samoa Bars 1

Homemade Samoa Bars

Nutella Almond Joy Cake Bars 4

Nutella Almond Joy Cake Bars

Coconut Fudge Poke Cake 5

Coconut Fudge Poke Cake

Shared with: The Scoop, SaltTree Social, Tasteful Tuesday, Lil Luna, Whimsy, What’s In Your Kitchen,

Comments

I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven’t already this week. The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday’s at midnight.
    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/. AND starting Wednesday June 4th I will be hosting a Wordless Wednesday link party. Hope you will join us!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs, Cathy

Kids nowadays don’t seem to appreciate the simple things It’s nobody’s fault, it’s just a generational thing as I’m sure there are things my grandmother or great grandmother, and so on, would cringe at, things that I don’t know about that they did.. There is so much beauty in this world, good for you for “forcing” them to enjoy it. Lol.

Those bars looks amazing. I don’t know if I would have the willpower to not eat the entire batch.
    Vanessa recently posted..Free Journal Card PrintableMy Profile

I think you are amazing, Jocelyn! You take something as average as cake mix and turn it into this incredible chocolate coconut confection! I don’t know how you think these things up, but I sure am glad that you do!
    Limiting screen time for kids is usually harder on the parents (because we have to listen to the moaning and groaning and pleaaaaaasing) than on the kids :)
    Wendy recently posted..Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Crunch CookiesMy Profile

Well, I am sure you have noticed, but I love coconut! Actually, I think I am becoming a tad obsessed. I hope my readers do not mind. Anyway, these bars are incredible! YUM! YUM!
    Sounds like you guys had a fun time even with the bugs and boy are you brave for limiting the electronic time this summer! Way to go you and I hope it goes well!
    Tieghan recently posted..Blueberry Basil Balsamic Mozzarella CrispsMy Profile

Eek! Look how soft and gooey and perfect those look – there’s no way I could stop at just one of those!

We’re giving our kiddo a 30-minute a day time limit on electronic “stuff” (he’s not old enough for an iPod yet, but he does have a DS and a LeapPad). Fortunately, he has lots of camp activities and t-ball this summer, so hopefully it won’t be a huge issue. I’m not the best example, since I’m often on the computer blogging or checking social media on my phone…maybe I need a time limit, too! ;-)
    Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl recently posted..Firecracker ChickenMy Profile

6. Tery says

Hey love the recipe, but can’t read it on my iPhone because of all the options to pi it to Facebook or Pinterest or tweet. It’s a shame. To inconvient to deal with. Should come with an option to close it till you need or want it. You have it posters at the bottom. Sorry some of its covered so excuse the misprint.

Wow these sound amazing. I love anything with coconut and chocolate so I’m certain I will love these. Great recipe and so simple. Now to check out those samoas. Those are my all time favorite Girl Scout cookie.

8. Debby says

Hi! I already have some sweetened shredded coconut. By any chance, is this what you used in your recipe for the Chocolate Coconut Bars? Or did you use regular, unsweetened shredded coconut? Thanks!

I’m pretty sure I used sweetened because that’s usually what I buy. You could use either one…the sweetened will obviously be a little sweeter. I can’t wait to hear what you think :-)

9. Anna says

Thank you SO much for posting the recipe so that it’s easily copied and printed out. I’ve gotten so tired of blogs where the recipe is tucked into a dozen different places between what are essentially the same photograph of the food.

Well done!

10. Sara says

Quick question: Do I combine the dry cake mix with the butter and milk, or do I prepare the cake mix according to the box, and then also add butter and milk?