The rich and creamy layers in this Coconut Chocolate Pie recipe will make this pudding pie a hit with everyone. No bake coconut cheesecake and chocolate pudding will have you going back for another slice in a hurry!
Chocolate Pudding Pie with Cheesecake:
The other day I was craving pie like crazy. I'm not sure why. Usually when I want something sweet, I crave these Homemade Chocolate Chip Brownies.
But for whatever reason I couldn't get the idea of a creamy pie out of my mind. So, I looked through the pantry and refrigerator to see what I could come up with.
I found a few boxes of chocolate pudding, shredded coconut, cream cheese, and Cool Whip. I knew right away that a pudding pie with a no bake cheesecake layer had to happen right away.
Pudding pies are one of the easiest pies known to man. Whisk the pudding mix and milk and spoon it into a no bake cookie crust. Easy, peasy, right?
Today I decided to add a coconut cream layer to a chocolate pudding pie because chocolate and coconut just belong together.
- Pie Crust - use a baked pie crust, Oreo cookie crust, or graham cracker crust
- Cream Cheese - set this out ahead of time so it mixes easily
- Powdered Sugar - sweetens the cream layer
- Coconut Extract - adds more coconut flavor
- Cool Whip - adds a fluffy texture to the cream layer and decorates the top of the pie. You can also use this Homemade Whipped Cream recipe if you like.
- Shredded Coconut - it is a coconut pie after all
- Milk - use 2% or full fat milk so the pudding mix sets up
- Chocolate Pudding Mix - any flavor of chocolate pudding will work, but we prefer the chocolate fudge.
I couldn't wait to dig into this chocolate coconut pie. It was the perfect dessert to enjoy on PI day. And yes, I am crazy enough to make a coconut pie just so I can eat a slice.
How to make a Coconut Chocolate Pie:
Step One: Bake and cool a pie crust.
Step Two: Make the coconut layer.
- Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and extract until creamy. Add some Cool Whip and mix it again.
- Stir in shredded coconut and then gently spread the no bake cheesecake layer in the bottom of the cooled crust.
Step Three: Make the fudge pudding layer.
- Whisk together the milk and pudding mix. Refrigerate for a few minutes to thicken it up.
- Spoon the pudding gently on top of the coconut cream layer and spread it out.
- Refrigerate the pie for a few hours or until it is completely set up.
Step Four: Decorate the coconut cream pie.
Pudding Pie Toppings:
- Cool Whip, shredded coconut, toasted coconut
- Cool Whip, Almond Joys or Mounds candy bars, shredded coconut
- Cool Whip, chocolate curls, shredded coconut
Can you make this a no bake pie?
Yes, you can. Make a graham cracker crust or Oreo cookie crust instead of using a baked pie crust.
How do you store a pudding pie?
Store the pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. The pie will keep for 2-3 days, after that it starts to get runny.
More easy pie recipes:
- Oreo Chocolate Pie
- Cheesecake Apple Pie
- Chubby Hubby Pie
- Lemon Pies
- Key Lime Margarita Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Mini Strawberry Pie
- Chocolate Pudding Pie
*The recipe for Coconut Fudge Pie was originally published on March 14, 2014. The photos have been updated and it was republished on March 28, 2021.