The rich and creamy layers in this Coconut Chocolate Pie recipe will make this pudding pie a hit with everyone. No bake coconut cheesecake and chocolate pudding will have you going back for another slice in a hurry!
Chocolate Pudding Pie with Cheesecake:
The other day I was craving pie like crazy. I’m not sure why. Usually when I want something sweet, I crave these Homemade Chocolate Chip Brownies.
But for whatever reason I couldn’t get the idea of a creamy pie out of my mind. So, I looked through the pantry and refrigerator to see what I could come up with.
I found a few boxes of chocolate pudding, shredded coconut, cream cheese, and Cool Whip. I knew right away that a pudding pie with a no bake cheesecake layer had to happen right away.
Pudding pies are one of the easiest pies known to man. Whisk the pudding mix and milk and spoon it into a no bake cookie crust. Easy, peasy, right?
Today I decided to add a coconut cream layer to a chocolate pudding pie because chocolate and coconut just belong together.
- Pie Crust – use a baked pie crust, Oreo cookie crust, or graham cracker crust
- Cream Cheese – set this out ahead of time so it mixes easily
- Powdered Sugar – sweetens the cream layer
- Coconut Extract – adds more coconut flavor
- Cool Whip – adds a fluffy texture to the cream layer and decorates the top of the pie. You can also use this Homemade Whipped Cream recipe if you like.
- Shredded Coconut – it is a coconut pie after all
- Milk – use 2% or full fat milk so the pudding mix sets up
- Chocolate Pudding Mix – any flavor of chocolate pudding will work, but we prefer the chocolate fudge.
I couldn’t wait to dig into this chocolate coconut pie. It was the perfect dessert to enjoy on PI day. And yes, I am crazy enough to make a coconut pie just so I can eat a slice.
How to make a Coconut Chocolate Pie:
Step One: Bake and cool a pie crust.
Step Two: Make the coconut layer.
- Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and extract until creamy. Add some Cool Whip and mix it again.
- Stir in shredded coconut and then gently spread the no bake cheesecake layer in the bottom of the cooled crust.
Step Three: Make the fudge pudding layer.
- Whisk together the milk and pudding mix. Refrigerate for a few minutes to thicken it up.
- Spoon the pudding gently on top of the coconut cream layer and spread it out.
- Refrigerate the pie for a few hours or until it is completely set up.
Step Four: Decorate the coconut cream pie.
Pudding Pie Toppings:
- Cool Whip, shredded coconut, toasted coconut
- Cool Whip, Almond Joys or Mounds candy bars, shredded coconut
- Cool Whip, chocolate curls, shredded coconut
Can you make this a no bake pie?
Yes, you can. Make a graham cracker crust or Oreo cookie crust instead of using a baked pie crust.
How do you store a pudding pie?
Store the pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. The pie will keep for 2-3 days, after that it starts to get runny.
More easy pie recipes:
- Oreo Chocolate Pie
- Cheesecake Apple Pie
- Chubby Hubby Pie
- Lemon Pies
- Key Lime Margarita Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Mini Strawberry Pie
- Chocolate Pudding Pie
Connect more with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a Facebook group and would love for you to join. Share recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. Request to join HERE.
Follow on Instagram and tag #brucrewlifebaking, so we can see the Inside BruCrew Life recipes you are making.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 8 ounce container Cool Whip, thawed & divided
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3.4 ounce box instant chocolate fudge pudding
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Unroll the pie crust and place it in a 9 inch pie plate. Crimp the edges and bake for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and extract until creamy.
- Add 2/3 cup Cool Whip and beat again.
- Stir in 1 cup coconut. Spread in the bottom of the pie shell.
- Whisk together the milk and pudding mix. Refrigerate for 3-5 minutes.
- Spoon the pudding gently on top of the coconut filling. Top with the remaining Cool Whip and refrigerate.
- Spread the remaining coconut on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 4-5 minutes. Stir every minute. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut on top of the pudding pie right before serving. Store the pie in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 5g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The recipe for Coconut Fudge Pie was originally published on March 14, 2014. The photos have been updated and it was republished on March 28, 2021.