A couple months ago, I made these oatmeal bars.
My kids loved them so much that I knew we were going to make them a lot!
So, for APPLICIOUS WEEK I decided to change out the salty chips from the last ones
with fun apple chips…and Rolos.
Because adding Rolos to anything is the way to go.
Shhhh…don’t tell the jeans what we are making.
There’s another confession coming today.
I had every intention of baking my own apple chips for these granola bars.
I had the apples in our fridge…all I had to do was slice them thin and bake them.
It’s easy to do.
Until I was walking into the grocery store the other day for the Rolos.
Right now every store has their Fall displays up.
The ones that get you to throw extra things into your cart.
Things like apple cider, Halloween candy, caramel apples…
A whole end cap of apple chips were staring me down.
What should I do? I DO need apple chips for the granola bars.
I stood there for a few minutes wrestling with the bag of chips.
The bag might have been picked up and put down a minimum of 5 times.
There are apples at home…I don’t need these.
But these are already baked.
I can be all homemaker-y and make my own.
It’s one less thing I have to do today.
Until I looked at the price…$1 for a bag?
Shoot! That sealed the deal.
The bag went into my cart and I went to pay.
Score – 1 point for the grocery store getting me to buy something I didn’t need and
0 points for me being lazy again.
I recommend trying these fun granola bars.
They will taste the same if you buy or make your own chips!
Who doesn’t like crumbly soft granola bars with chewy Rolo candies and apples?
The kids devoured all of these fun bars…I guess it’s time to make another batch.
The good thing with these bars is that you can pretty much add anything to them.
So all those extra bags of Halloween candy that has been jumping in your cart…
sure, why not. Add it to these caramel apple granola bars!
It’s my way of thinking I’m eating healthier.
And I wonder why my jeans shrunk!!!
Make sure you visit all my Applicious Friends to see what apple goodies they made this week.
Or follow along on our Pinterest Board : Applicious Goodies
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons caramel extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup Rolos, quartered
- 1 cup apple chips, crushed lightly
- 3/4 cup miniature marshmallow bits
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the caramel extract and eggs and beat again.
- Stir together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Slowly add it to the butter mixture.
- Add the oatmeal a little bit at a time. The dough will be very stiff. Stir in the Rolos, marshmallows, and apple chips by hand.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into 16 bars.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and shortening. Heat for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until melted and creamy.
- Spoon into a plastic bag and cut one corner off. Drizzle over the bars. Let set. Store in a sealed container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 211mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g