These homemade Caramel Apple Granola Bars taste so much better than any bar you will find in the store. They are easy to make, and they are so soft and chewy. Perfect for on the go breakfasts or after school snacks.
Granola bars are one of those snacks that are just easy to keep on hand. Most of the time I make no bake granola bars for the kids to snack on during the week, but this week I pulled out an oldie, but goodie recipe.
Over the years, I have had fun with that baked granola bar recipe and made some pretty delicious strawberry granola bars.
I had a few apples leftover after making these apple donut holes, so I decided to add them to a pan of apple cinnamon oatmeal bars for everyone to snack on. And of course, caramel had to be added too.
Why Make These Bars
Homemade granola bars are so easy to customize with different ingredients. Pretty much anything you like can be added to them.
After they bake and cool they have a soft, chewy texture that is so delicious.
The sweet caramel apple flavor will satisfy all your fall cravings. Plus, they make great lunch box treats for the kids all week long.
All you need are a few ingredients plus a few apples to make this easy homemade granola bar recipe. Apples and caramel bits give it that delicious fall flavor.
- Butter - We like to use unsalted in our recipes because it gives a better control over the saltiness in a recipe.
- Brown Sugar - Sweetens the bars and also gives them that yummy soft, moist texture.
- Quick Oats - The smaller oats hold together better in this recipe. Rolled oats can also be used if you prefer more of a chunky texture.
- Apple Pie Spice - This is a delicious spice blend for fall treats.
- Apple - One large apple diced should give you enough for this recipe. We like to use Gala apples for all our baking.
- Caramel Bits - Bags of these little candy bits can be found in the baking aisle and they give such a great caramel flavor and chew to baked goods.
How to make Caramel Apple Granola Bars
You won't believe just how easy it is to make this homemade granola bar recipe. Here is what you will need to do.
- Pour all the wet ingredients together in a bowl and beat until mixed together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the runny mixture. It will be very thick as you mix it. Keeping mixing it until everything comes together.
- Cut the apples into small bite-sized pieces. You can peel the apples first, or keep it simple and leave them on. Since you are dicing them small, the peels are ok in these bars.
- Gently stir the diced apples and caramel bits into the dough and then press the batter into a pan.
- Bake and cool. Do not over bake these homemade granola bars. They can dry out really easily if you bake them too long.
BruCrew Tip: Chocolate covered caramel apples are one of my favorite things to get when we visit Disney or Disney Springs. So, to jazz up these caramel apple bars I added a drizzle of white chocolate and sprinkled them with coarse white sanding sugar. It's not necessary, but it really does taste good.
Tips and Variations
The best thing about these chewy oat bars is that you can customize them with what you have on hand or what you like.
- Use rolled oats instead of quick oats for a chewier, heartier granola bar.
- Change up the mix-ins. Feel free to use toffee bits, peanuts, raisins, or chopped up Rolos instead of the caramel bits.
- Want more apple flavor? Use ¼ cup applesauce or apple butter in place of one egg.
- Need egg free recipes, use ½ cup applesauce or flax eggs instead.
- Add a boost of protein by stirring in 1-2 scoops of vanilla protein powder.
- Drizzle the granola bars with chocolate melting wafers instead of white chocolate. Or skip the chocolate altogether.
That is totally up to you. The apples are being diced finely in this recipe, so the peels bake and melt into the bars really well.
Yes you can. Chopped Snickers or Rolos would be awesome in this recipe.
More Easy Oatmeal Bars
If you loved this granola bar recipe, be sure to try a few of these other delicious options.
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Caramel Apple Granola Bars was first published September 2012. The photos and post was updated and republished September 2020.
What are mini marshmallow bits??
They are mini marshmallow bits that come in a container. They are like the marshmallows in hot chocolate packets. I buy them at Walmart and Target where the regular marshmallows are sold.
These look so yummy! I'm going to try to make them for my little girl who inhales granola bars. Maybe just leave out the rolos so I can pretend they are healthy? Right? Apples? Thank you for sharing!
Haha! Yes, leaving out the Rolos would make them slightly healthier, but everything in moderation right?
It must be something in the Fall air that's making jeans shrink because mine are too! These are great for on-the-run snacking!
Michelle's Tasty Creations
Too funny because all those things jump right in my cart at the grocery store too 🙂 These look amazing! I can't wait to try them. I will probably have to go get more goodies though to add. Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday each week. Have a great week.
oooh, my kind of granola bar!!
Thanks so much for linking up!