These Cinnamon Sugar Apple Donut Holes are soft inside and have a crunchy cinnamon sugar coating. Make a few batches of this baked donut recipe for breakfast this fall and watch them disappear.
Our kids really could care less about all the sweets and treats that come out of our kitchen. Oh, they eat them…eventually. Some things sit in boxes for a few days before they slowly start to eat them though.
I guess having a mom who bakes all the time for work has them “over” all the goodies. I wish I could say the same, but I don’t think I will ever be able to resist chocolate chip cookies and homemade brownies.
My jeans keep begging me to give up sweets like that, but since I
can’t won’t do it, the workouts must continue each week.
One thing that does get eaten in record time around here are donuts or muffins. So, I guess it’s time to start making breakfast recipes every week. Not that I mind that. Breakfast treats are one of my favorites to bake too.
For the moment I have moved on from my pumpkin baking madness to apple goodness! I always forget how much I love baked apple treats, until I start baking them again.
I was dreaming of cooler days last week, so I bought some apples and apple cider and got to work in the kitchen giving these Glazed Cinnamon Apple Donuts a twist. Our kids love the Munchkin’s from Dunkin Donuts, so I knew mini donuts would be a hit!
Three times the apple goodness makes these donut hole muffins the perfect thing to enjoy on fall mornings. Just add a pitcher of Caramel Apple Cider Iced Tea and you will be all set.
Our kids absolutely adore the cinnamon sugar bread from Costco, so I dipped the donut muffins in melted butter and rolled them in some Cinnamon Sugar to give them that same crunchy coating.
Holy cow! I’m pretty sure this batch of cinnamon sugar donut holes disappeared in less than 24 hours. That’s 48 mini donuts, people! Gone. Vanished. Devoured!
It’s safe to say that the kids are in love with these soft donut bites! My daughter saw me editing these photos the other day and starting telling me how much she LOVED these baked apple cider donuts, and that we should make another batch right away.
These homemade apple donuts definitely stole our hearts this fall. They will be on repeat every week. Well, maybe just until I get an itch to bake something else.
What apples can be used for baking?
The best apples for baking hold their shape in different baked goods. Some of our favorites that hold up to heat and that taste great are Gala, Jonagold, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, and Braeburn.
How to make Cinnamon Sugar Apple Donut Holes:
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy. (full recipe below)
- Add the sour cream, applesauce, and vanilla and beat the mixture again.
- Stir together the dry ingredients and add them with the apple cider to the batter.
- Shred the apples in a food processor and stir into the donut batter. PRO TIP: You do not need to peel the apples before shredding them.
- Spoon the batter into mini muffin tins that were sprayed with nonstick spray. Do not fill them more than half full.
- Bake and cool for a few minutes in the pan; remove and let cool completely.
- Roll each donut hole in melted butter and then in homemade cinnamon sugar. Let set.
These baked donut holes are best served the day they are made. You can also use a mini donut pan to bake these sweet little apple bites in.
Now just in case you were wondering, baked donuts do not taste the same as fried doughnuts. But the melted butter and cinnamon sugar coating definitely add a sweet flavor that you will fall in love with.
If you have extra apples after baking mini apple donuts, go ahead and make these Apple Nachos for a fun after school snack! Your kids will go crazy for them!!!
More apple breakfast recipes:
- Cinnamon Apple Baked Oatmeal
- Spiced Apple Waffles
- Apple Praline Donuts
- Caramel Apple Scones
- Maple Bacon Apple Cinnamon Roll Bake
- Toffee Apple Bread
- Apple Cranberry Coffee Cake
- Butterscotch Apple Cake Donuts
Connect more with Inside BruCrew Life!
Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #brucrewlifebaking, so I can see the Inside BruCrew Life recipes you are making.
For the Donut Holes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1 cup shredded apples
For the Cinnamon Sugar coating
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup cinnamon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a few mini muffin tins with non-stick baking spray.
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the sour cream, applesauce, and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and star anise. Slowly add the dry ingredients and the apple cider to the butter mixture.
- Stir in the shredded apples gently.
- Spoon the batter into 48 sprayed mini muffin cavities. Do not fill more than half full. Bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool in the pan for 1-2 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Stir together the sugar and cinnamon. Roll each donut hole in butter and then in the sugar mixture. Let set. Store in a sealed container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Cinnamon Sugar Apple Donut Holes was first published on October 17, 2016. The photos and post were updated and republished August 25, 2020.