These Cinnamon Sugar Apple Donut Holes are a delicious fall breakfast that will not last very long. The crunchy sugar coating and the soft donut center will have you popping a few at a time.
*Love these recipes? Be sure to sign up for my email to have the recipes delivered to your inbox!
So, I have discovered that our kids really could care less about all the sweets and treats that come out of our kitchen. Oh, they eat them…eventually. Some things sit in boxes for a few days before they slowly eat them.
I guess having a mom who bakes every day for work has them “over” all the goodies. I don’t think I will ever be able to resist cookies and brownies. My jeans sure wish I could give up sweets like that, but since I
can’t won’t do it, the workouts must continue.
One thing that does get eaten in record time around here are donuts or muffins. So, I guess it’s time to mass produce breakfast goodies every week. Not that I mind that. Breakfast treats are one of my favorites to bake too.
For the moment I have moved on from my pumpkin baking madness to apple goodness! I always forget how much I love baked apple treats, until I start baking them again.
We had a few cooler days last week, so I bought some apples and apple cider and got to work in the kitchen giving these glazed cinnamon apple donuts a mini twist.
Three times the apple goodness makes these donut holes the perfect way to enjoy a cool fall morning.
Our kids absolutely adore the cinnamon sugar bread from Costco, so I dipped each donut hole in melted butter and rolled it in some cinnamon sugar to give them that same crunchy coating.
Holy cow! I’m pretty sure this batch of cinnamon sugar apple donut holes disappeared in less than 24 hours. That’s 48 mini donuts, people! Gone. Vanished. Devoured!
It’s safe to say that the kids were in love with these soft fluffy breakfast treats! My daughter saw me editing the photos the other day and starting telling me how much she LOVED these donuts and that we should make another batch right away.
These little donut holes stole our hearts this fall. They will be on repeat each week…or until I get an itch to bake something else. At least I have finally found something that the kiddos will not leave sitting on the counter.
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
For the Donut Holes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1 cup shredded apples
For the Cinnamon Sugar coating
- 8 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a few mini muffin tins with non-stick baking spray.
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the sour cream, applesauce, and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and star anise. Slowly add the dry ingredients and the apple cider to the butter mixture.
- Stir in the shredded apples gently.
- Spoon the batter into 48 sprayed mini muffin cavities. Do not fill more than half full. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Remove and let cool in the pan for 1-2 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Stir together the sugar and cinnamon. Roll each donut hole in butter and then in the sugar mixture. Let set. Store in a sealed container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 103 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 101mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 9g Protein: 1g
More ways to add apple goodness to your fall breakfasts: