What could possibly be better than M&M Brownies? How about topping them with marshmallow caramel goodness!! One bite of these Caramel Marshmallow M&M Brownies will definitely satisfy every sugar craving you have.
Marshmallow Topped Brownies
These gooey chocolate brownies have three delicious layers and are the ultimate party brownie. The brownies are fudgy, the caramel and marshmallows are gooey, and the M&M candies give it a delicious color and crunch.
What I love most about these brownies is that you can make them for any holiday using the different holiday M&M’s that come out every season. The other thing I love about these brownies is just how easy they are to make. You can literally have a pan of gooey marshmallow brownies on your counter in under 30 minutes. Now I do recommend waiting until they cool off before digging in.
What makes these brownies so amazing is the layer of caramel that is hiding under the toasted marshmallows. It kind of melts and soaks into the brownie layer a little bit while the marshmallows are toasting. It makes the brownies so rich and delicious.
Trust me if you like marshmallows and brownies you need to make a pan of these marshmallow topped brownies ASAP!
Ingredients for Marshmallow Brownies
These sweet and gooey caramel marshmallow brownies only require 5 ingredients. You will also need pantry ingredients that you probably already have to make the brownie mix.
- Brownie Mix – Make sure you buy a family sized brownie box mix for a 9×13 pan. You can also make a double batch of these chocolate chip brownies (minus the chocolate chips) if you prefer homemade brownies.
- Caramel – You can use 1 cup caramel baking bits or 24 caramel squares.
- Milk – Using a little bit of milk will help the caramel melt smoother.
- Marshmallows – Miniature marshmallows work the best for this brownie recipe because of the smaller size.
- M&M’s – I prefer the small miniature M&M’s, but any size or flavor of M&M candies will taste great on these brownies.
BRUCREW TIP: Love Reese’s candies? Try these Marshmallow Reese’s Brownies instead.
How to make Caramel Marshmallow M&M Brownies
These gooey marshmallow brownies are quite simple to make because they start with a box mix. This is the perfect brownie recipe for the kids to help make.
Step One: Make brownies.
- Mix together the box brownie mix, oil, eggs, and water in a medium bowl.
- Pour the brownie batter into a greased baking dish and bake for about 24 minutes. (4 min less than the box directions)
Note: Bake time will depend on what brand brownie mix you use.
Step Two: Caramel & Marshmallow Toppings.
- Place the caramel and milk in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat for 30 seconds and stir until creamy. Heat additional seconds if needed.
- Remove the brownies from the oven.
- Spread the melted caramel over the brownies. Sprinkle the marshmallows evenly on top.
- Place the brownies back in the oven for another 3-4 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler and toast the marshmallows.
Step Three: M&M candies
- Remove the brownies from the oven.
- Sprinkle the mini M&M’s over the top. You will need to press the candies gently into the toasted marshmallows, so they stick better.
- Let the marshmallow brownies cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Want to make a smaller batch? Use a brownie mix for an 8×8 pan. Only add half the toppings to the baked brownies.
- Avoid over baking the brownies because you need to put them back in the oven to melt the caramel and toast the marshmallows.
- Stay right by the oven when you are broiling the marshmallow layer. The marshmallows will go from white to brown very quickly. I turned away for just a few seconds and almost burned the whole top of these caramel marshmallow brownies.
- Use a wet knife when cutting these brownies. The marshmallow layer will not stick to the wet knife as you are trying to make clean cuts. Dip the knife in water, shake off the excess, and make short cuts. Rinse in between each cut for the best results.
- Want to make these for other holidays? Use pastel M&M’s for Easter, red white & blue M&M’s for 4th of July, or red & green M&M’s for Christmas.
How to Store these Brownies
Keep these brownies in a tightly sealed container on the counter for 3-4 days. You can also freeze these brownies in a freezer safe bag or container for 2-3 months. The M&M’s may change colors as they defrost.
More M&M Brownie Recipes
- M&M Brownies
- Blonde Brownies
- Peanut Butter Pretzel M&M Bars
- Mint M&M Brownies
- Nutella M&M Bars
- Heath Caramel Brownies
- Cookie Monster Brownies
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
- 1 - 9x13 box brownie mix + ingredients
- 1 cup caramel baking bits
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 2 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup miniature M&M's
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Make the brownie mix using the box directions. Bake for the time listed on the back
- Place the caramel bits and milk in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir. Heat another 20-30 seconds. Stir until creamy.
- Remove the brownies from the oven when they still have 4 minutes left to bake. Spread the melted caramel over the top gently and quickly.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows on top. Place back in the oven and bake for 3 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler and broil for 1-2 more minutes. Be sure to keep a close eye on the marshmallows because they brown quickly.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and sprinkle with the mini M&M's. Gently press the candies into the toasted marshmallows with your fingers to get them to stick.
- Let the brownies cool completely. Use a wet knife to cut into 24 squares. Keep in a sealed container on the counter.
- Can't find the caramel baking bits? Use 24 caramel squares.
- Use a wet knife to cut these brownies. The marshmallows will not stick to the wet knife.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 72Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g
*The post for Caramel Marshmallow M&M Brownies was first published October 2013. The photos and post were updated August 2021.