What could possibly be better than Marshmallow Topped Brownies? How about topping them with caramel and chocolate candies? One bite of these Caramel Marshmallow Brownies will definitely satisfy every sugar craving you have.
These gooey chocolate brownies have three delicious layers and are the ultimate party dessert. The brownies are fudgy, the caramel and marshmallows are gooey, and the M&M candies give it a delicious color and crunch.
I love these brownies because you can use holiday M&M's to make them for any season.
The other thing I love about these brownies is just how easy they are to make. You can literally have a pan of gooey marshmallow brownies on your counter in under 30 minutes.
Why You Will Love These Caramel Marshmallow Brownies
What makes these brownies so amazing is the layer of caramel that is hiding under the toasted marshmallows.
It melts and soaks into the brownie layer while the marshmallows are toasting, making the brownies rich and delicious.
Trust me if you like marshmallows and brownies you need to make a pan of these marshmallow brownies ASAP!
Ingredients for Marshmallow Brownies
These sweet and gooey caramel marshmallow brownies only require five ingredients. You will also need pantry ingredients that you probably already have to make the brownie mix.
- Brownie Mix - Make sure you buy a family-sized brownie box mix for a 9x13 pan. You can also make a double batch of these chocolate chip brownies (minus the chocolate chips) if you prefer homemade brownies.
- Caramel - You can use 1 cup caramel baking bits or 24 caramel squares.
- Milk - Using a little bit of milk will help the caramel melt smoother.
- Marshmallows - Miniature marshmallows work the best for this brownie recipe because they are smaller.
- M&M's - I prefer the small miniature M&M's. But any size or flavor of M&M candies will taste great on these brownies.
BruCrew Tip: Love Reese's candies? Try these Marshmallow Reese's Brownies instead.
How to make Marshmallow Topped Brownies
These gooey marshmallow brownies are simple because they start with a box mix. This is the perfect brownie recipe for the kids to help make.
Step One: Make brownies.
- Mix together the box brownie mix, oil, eggs, and water in a medium bowl.
- Pour the brownie batter into a greased baking dish and bake.
Note: Bake time will depend on what brand of brownie mix you use.
Step Two: Caramel & Marshmallow Toppings
- Place the caramel and milk in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat for 30 seconds and stir until creamy. Heat for additional seconds if needed.
- Remove the brownies from the oven. Spread the melted caramel over the brownies. Sprinkle the marshmallows evenly on top.
- Place the brownies back in the hot oven with the broiler turned on for 1-2 minutes.
Step Three: M&M candies
- Remove the brownies from the oven.
- Sprinkle the mini M&M's over the top. You will need to press the candies gently into the toasted marshmallows so they stick better.
- Let the marshmallow brownies cool completely before cutting them into squares.
Keep these brownies in a tightly sealed container on the counter for 3-4 days.
You can also freeze these brownies in a freezer-safe bag or container for 2-3 months. The M&M's may change colors as they defrost.
Tips and Tricks
- Want to make a smaller batch? Use a brownie mix for an 8x8 pan. Only add half the toppings to the baked brownies.
- Avoid over-baking the brownies. You need to put the dish back in the oven in to melt the caramel and toast the marshmallows.
- Stay right by the oven when you are broiling the marshmallow layer. The marshmallows will go from white to brown very quickly.
- Use a wet knife when cutting these brownies. The marshmallow layer will not stick to the wet knife as you make clean cuts. Dip the knife in water, shake off the excess, and make small cuts. Rinse in between each cut for the best results.
- Want to make these for other holidays? Use pastel M&M's for Easter, red white & blue M&M's for 4th of July, or red & green M&M's for Christmas.
More M&M Brownie Recipes
- M&M Brownies
- Blonde Brownies
- Peanut Butter Pretzel M&M Bars
- Mint M&M Brownies
- Nutella M&M Bars
- Heath Caramel Brownies
- Cookie Monster Brownies
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first published in October 2013. The photos and the post were updated in August 2021.