A crunchy topping on this Chocolate Chip Banana Streusel Baked Oatmeal will have you ready for breakfast in the morning. Enjoy a warm square with milk and drizzles of honey.
You know those bananas on the counter. The ones you bought last week with the good intentions of eating them as a healthy snack each day. Yeah, they are still sitting there, but now they are a lovely shade of brown. Oh, wait. That’s what happened on my counter.
You guys know how I feel about bananas. There is only a very short window where I can enjoy eating one. I try to buy the greenest bananas at the store, so they will last for a few days. After they turn yellow, I just can’t do it. Yes, I know. I’m a strange one. It’s ok…at least I know it.
So since there were 5 black bananas sitting on our counter, I decided to make some baked oatmeal. That’s another thing that I am picky about eating. I grew up eating bowls of sticky oatmeal for breakfast. And it was ok, just not my favorite. Well, unless it was heavily dosed with brown sugar and raisins. Then I could eat it…but barely.
Over the years I have found that I really enjoy baked oatmeal. There is a little more substance to it, and if you add streusel, it is almost like eating coffee cake. I did say almost. Don’t email me with complaints that this doesn’t taste like cake. I did warn you.
Almost is really one of those words you have to take with a grain of salt. Like when my husband asks if I’m ready to go. My answer is usually “almost”…when in reality I know I’m nowhere ready to go. It’s probably a trait I should work on more…
For this baked oatmeal I used this blueberry banana baked oatmeal as my base recipe. Obviously, I left out the fruit and added chocolate. Any time I can add chocolate to something and call it breakfast is a major win in my book! Then I went and added this amazing crunchy streusel topping! You guys…
I can’t even begin to tell you how good this topping is! I did a variation of the streusel from this blueberry almond crumble bread. It is so good that I may have added it to a few more recipes you will be seeing soon!
Here is the breakdown for making this easy chocolate chip banana streusel baked oatmeal for breakfast:
- Whisk together all the wet ingredients first.
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a bowl, and then stir in the milk mixture.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan.
- Mix together your streusel topping until it looks kind of like wet sand.
- Crumble the topping over the top of the batter.
- Bake until firm and toasty.
- Cut out a square and drizzle honey and milk on top! Enjoy!
For the Oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Streusel
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 pecan chips
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Whisk together the milk, honey, egg, vanilla, and banana.
- Stir the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips into the milk mixture. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Stir together all the streusel ingredients until it resembles wet sand. Spoon it evenly over the top of the oatmeal mixture. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove and let cool slightly. Serve with milk, honey, and chocolate chips, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 286mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 22gProtein: 5g
More great recipes to enjoy for breakfast: