Sweet chocolate swirls add a fun touch to these Chocolate Banana Nutella Muffins. This homemade banana muffin recipe is a fun and delicious way to use up ripe bananas.
After a few weeks away from my favorite baking ingredient, I had to buy a few bunches of bananas. Of course, I buy them green because I like to eat a few that way first.
Then the rest sit on the counter until they are too spotty and brown for anyone to even think about. Oh, but I'm thinking about those bananas. I'm thinking up fun new recipes for that delicious fruit.
Since our kids love having muffins around for breakfast and snacks, I knew that ripe fruit was destined for banana bread muffins.
A few years ago I made these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins, and it has been our kids favorite breakfast muffin ever since. They are a great way to use over ripe bananas.
It's not just our family that loves these chocolate banana muffins. I have had quite a few comments and emails from readers who love them too! They really are a favorite with everyone!
This past fall I updated the pictures for these Pumpkin Nutella Muffins because pictures from 4-5 years ago just don't do things justice. Anyway, I haven't been able to get that chocolate swirl out of my head since then.
It got me thinking on whether or not a banana muffin swirled with Nutella would work. You know me. I had to run to the kitchen and try it right away! And oh, boy, do they ever taste amazing!
Trust me and eat one of these Nutella filled banana muffins fresh from the oven with a cup of Nutella Hot Chocolate. Well, maybe wait a minute or two because you don't want to burn your tongue on the molten Nutella swirls in the muffins.
How to Make Banana Nutella Muffins
Run, don't walk to the nearest grocery store and buy some bananas because you really do want these bakery style banana muffins in your life ASAP!
- Beat the sugars, eggs, and oil in a large bowl until creamy. Add the mashed banana and beat again. (full recipe at bottom of post)
- Stir together the dry ingredients and slowly mix into the banana mixture.
- Spoon the batter evenly into 15 cupcake liners in muffin tins.
- Place the Nutella in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 20-30 seconds. Spoon evenly on top of batter.
- Use a toothpick to swirl it together gently before baking.
- Use ripe bananas. Ones with brown spots are much softer and sweeter and will make your banana muffins taste better.
- A mixture of baking soda and baking powder provides the lift in these chocolate muffins.
- Use dark cocoa powder for the deep rich chocolate flavor and look in these muffins.
- Heat the Nutella before adding it to the top of the muffin batter. It swirls better if it is warm and creamy.
- Fill the cupcake liners half full, so they have room to bake.
How do you store banana muffins?
Let the muffins cool completely on a wire rack before placing the banana muffins in a tightly sealed container.
How long will these chocolate banana muffins last?
That all depends on how many your family (or you) eat right away. They will keep for 2-3 days if properly stored in a tightly sealed container.
Can you freeze these banana Nutella muffins?
Yes, these are freezer friendly. Let the muffins cool completely before placing them in a freezer bag or container for 2-3 months.
Thaw at room temperature on the counter or in the fridge. Be sure to microwave each muffin for 5-10 seconds before eating them.
Other recipes to make with overripe bananas
- Butterscotch Banana Muffins
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Banana S'mores Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Banana Praline French Toast Muffins
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*The post for Chocolate Nutella Banana Muffins was first published on January 16, 2017. The post was updated and republished January 18, 2021.