Sweet chocolate swirls add a fun touch to these Chocolate Nutella Banana Muffins. Great muffin to wake up to in the morning!
After a few weeks away from my favorite baking ingredient, I had to buy a few bunches of bananas. Of course, I buy them green because I like to eat a few that way first. Then the rest sit on the counter until they are too black for anyone to even think about.
Oh, but I’m thinking about those bananas. I’m thinking up fun new recipes for that delicious fruit.
Since our kids love having muffins around for breakfast and snacks, I knew these bananas were destined for a breakfast muffin. Of course, with all the chocolate in the recipe, you might want to call it a cupcake.
Of course, since it doesn’t have frosting, I call it a muffin. It’s how I feel better about eating one (or two) in the morning.
A few years ago I made these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins, and it has been our go to muffin recipe when those bananas get too ripe.
It’s not just our family that loves these muffins. I have had quite a few comments and emails from readers who love these muffins too! They are a favorite with everyone!
This past fall I updated the pictures for these Pumpkin Nutella Muffins because pictures from 4-5 years ago just don’t do things justice. Anyway, I haven’t been able to get that swirl out of my head since then.
It got me thinking on whether or not I could include it in my favorite banana muffin. Yup, it works. And oh, boy, do they ever taste amazing!
Trust me and eat one fresh from the oven with a cup of Nutella Hot Chocolate. Well, maybe wait a minute or two because you don’t want to burn your tongue on the molten Nutella lava swirls in the muffins.
Run, don’t walk to the nearest grocery store and buy some bananas because you really do want these bakery style chocolate banana muffins in your life ASAP!
How to make Chocolate Nutella Banana Muffins:
- Beat the sugars, eggs, and oil until creamy. Add banana and beat again. (full recipe at bottom of post)
- Stir together the dry ingredients and slowly beat into the banana mixture.
- Spoon the batter into 16 liners in muffin tins.
- Heat Nutella in microwave. Spoon evenly on top of batter.
- Use a toothpick to swirl it together gently before baking.
Storing banana muffins:
Let the muffins cool completely on a wire rack. Place the muffins in a tightly sealed container.
How long will these chocolate banana muffins last?
They are best if eaten within 2-3 days of being made. If you would like to keep them longer, freeze them in a freezer bag or container for 2-3 months. Defrost at room temperature on the counter or in the fridge. Be sure to microwave each muffin for 5-10 seconds before eating them.
Other muffin recipes to make with overripe bananas:
- Butterscotch Banana Muffins
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Banana S’mores Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Banana Praline French Toast Muffins
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/3 cup mashed banana (3 regular sized)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 16 liners in a cupcake pan.
- Beat the sugars, egg, and oil until creamy. Add the banana and beat again.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add to the banana mixture until mixed in.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Heat the Nutella in a microwave safe bowl for 15-30 seconds. Stir until slightly melted and creamy.
- Divide it evenly on top of the muffin batter. Use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter gently. Bake for 17-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin portion comes out mostly clean, (Do not stick the toothpick into the molten Nutella.)
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the muffins cool for 2 minutes before removing them and placing them on a wire rack to cool completely. Store in a tightly sealed container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Chocolate Nutella Banana Muffins was first published on January 16, 2017. The post was updated and republished June 15, 2020.