Sweet chocolate swirls add a fun touch to these Chocolate Nutella Banana Muffins. This homemade banana muffin recipe is a fun and delicious way to use up ripe bananas.
After a few weeks away from my favorite baking ingredient, I had to buy a few bunches of bananas. Of course, I buy them green because I like to eat a few that way first.
Then the rest sit on the counter until they are too spotty and brown for anyone to even think about. Oh, but I’m thinking about those bananas. I’m thinking up fun new recipes for that delicious fruit.
Since our kids love having muffins around for breakfast and snacks, I knew that ripe fruit was destined for banana bread muffins.
A few years ago I made these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins, and it has been our kids favorite breakfast muffin ever since. They are a great way to use over ripe bananas.
It’s not just our family that loves these chocolate banana muffins. I have had quite a few comments and emails from readers who love them too! They really are a favorite with everyone!
This past fall I updated the pictures for these Pumpkin Nutella Muffins because pictures from 4-5 years ago just don’t do things justice. Anyway, I haven’t been able to get that chocolate swirl out of my head since then.
It got me thinking on whether or not a banana muffin swirled with Nutella would work. You know me. I had to run to the kitchen and try it right away! And oh, boy, do they ever taste amazing!
Trust me and eat one of these Nutella filled banana muffins fresh from the oven with a cup of Nutella Hot Chocolate. Well, maybe wait a minute or two because you don’t want to burn your tongue on the molten Nutella swirls in the muffins.
Tips for making Nutella banana muffins:
- Use ripe bananas. Ones with brown spots are much softer and sweeter and will make your banana muffins taste better.
- A mixture of baking soda and baking powder provides the lift in these chocolate muffins.
- Use dark cocoa powder for the deep rich chocolate flavor and look in these muffins.
- Heat the Nutella before adding it to the top of the muffin batter. It swirls better if it is warm and creamy.
- Fill the cupcake liners half full, so they have room to bake.
Run, don’t walk to the nearest grocery store and buy some bananas because you really do want these bakery style banana muffins in your life ASAP!
How to make Chocolate Nutella Banana Muffins:
- Beat the sugars, eggs, and oil until creamy. Add banana and beat again. (full recipe at bottom of post)
- Stir together the dry ingredients and slowly beat into the banana mixture.
- Spoon the batter into 15 cupcake liners in muffin tins.
- Place the Nutella in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 20-30 seconds. Spoon evenly on top of batter.
- Use a toothpick to swirl it together gently before baking.
Storing banana muffins:
Let the muffins cool completely on a wire rack before placing the banana muffins in a tightly sealed container.
How long will these chocolate banana muffins last?
That all depends on how many your family (or you) eat right away. They will keep for 2-3 days if properly stored in a tightly sealed container.
Can you freeze these banana Nutella muffins?
Yes, these are freezer friendly. Let the muffins cool completely before placing them in a freezer bag or container for 2-3 months.
Thaw at room temperature on the counter or in the fridge. Be sure to microwave each muffin for 5-10 seconds before eating them.
Other recipes to make with overripe bananas:
- Butterscotch Banana Muffins
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Banana S’mores Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Banana Praline French Toast Muffins
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/3 cup mashed banana (3 regular sized)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 15 cupcake liners in a muffin tin.
- Beat the sugars, egg, and oil until creamy. Add the banana and beat again.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add to the banana mixture until mixed in.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the liners.
- Heat the Nutella in a microwave safe bowl for 15-30 seconds. Stir until slightly melted and creamy.
- Divide it evenly on top of the muffin batter. Use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter gently.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin portion comes out mostly clean, (Do not stick the toothpick into the molten Nutella.)
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the muffins cool for 2 minutes before removing them and placing them on a wire rack to cool completely. Store in a tightly sealed container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Chocolate Nutella Banana Muffins was first published on January 16, 2017. The post was updated and republished January 18, 2021.