These easy Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are a great way to use up ripe bananas. They are soft, moist, and loaded with mini chocolate chips. Perfect for a quick breakfast or snack.
I love baking muffins for breakfast. You just can't go wrong with soft, fluffy muffins first thing in the morning. My family loves blueberry zucchini muffins, chocolate mocha muffins, and any kind of banana muffin.
This week I decided to make banana oat muffins instead of banana coconut muffins, since we had some overripe bananas.
Why You Should Make These Muffins
These banana muffins are soft, fluffy, and loaded with mini chocolate chips. They are a great breakfast for on-the-go.
You will love how easy these are to make. All you need is one bowl and a few simple ingredients.
Chocolate chip banana muffins are the perfect snack for an early morning breakfast or a midnight snack. Plus, they freeze well, so you can keep a batch on hand for later.
Feel free to leave out the chocolate chips or replace them with walnuts or pecans. Either way, your kitchen will smell amazing as the muffins bake.
These banana chocolate chip muffins are easy to make in minutes using ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Butter - We use unsalted butter in most of our recipes. This allows you the opportunity to control how much salt you want to add.
- Cream Cheese - Gives the muffins a soft and moist texture.
- Sugar - Granulated sugar sweetens the batter.
- Eggs - Help to bind the ingredients and to help the muffins bake properly.
- Vanilla Extract and Salt - Adds flavor and balances out the sweetness.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda - The combination of both leavens help the muffins to rise as they bake.
- All Purpose Flour - Use the fluff and spoon method to measure flour. Knowing how to measure flour correctly will help your baked goods turn out every time.
- Quick Oats - Add a little bit of texture to the muffins. Rolled oats can also be used. Place them in a blender or food processor and do short pulses to break them down.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
There isn't a much better way to start the day than with soft banana muffins with chocolate chips. Plus, they are so easy to make that you can whip up a batch in no time at all.
- Mix together the wet ingredients. Beat the softened butter and cream cheese with the sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy. Stir in the vanilla, eggs, and mashed bananas.
- Stir together the dry ingredients. Slowly beat in the dry mixture until everything is combined.
- Add the chocolate. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Bake and cool. Spoon the batter evenly into muffin cups lined with paper liners and bake until the muffins are done. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
There are so many fun and delicious ways to change up this easy muffin recipe.
- Use different types of chocolate. Semi-sweet, dark, milk, or even white will be delicious. We usually use mini chips, but regular ones are awesome too.
- Add ½ cup of fruit to the batter. Some of our favorites are diced strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries.
- Stir in other mix-ins. Chopped nuts, shredded coconut, toffee bits, or even crushed cookies are an amazing addition.
To Store - Keep the cooled muffins in tightly sealed container for 2-3 days. Place a paper towel at the bottom and top of the container to help absorb any moisture.
To Freeze - These banana muffins also freeze great. Make sure they are completely cooled, then wrap each one individually in plastic wrap or place in a sandwich bag. Place the wrapped muffins in a large freezer safe ziplock bag and freeze for 2-3 months.
Before serving, defrost the muffins in the refrigerator or on the counter. Try reheating a room temperature muffin in the microwave for 10-15 seconds for "freshly baked" muffins.
Tips and Tricks
- Overripe bananas will give you the best flavor in your muffins. Dark and spotted ones are best.
- If your bananas are not quite ripe, follow our directions on how to quickly ripen bananas.
- Change out the mini chocolate chips for regular chips if you want a bigger chocolate flavor in the muffins.
- Add ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans, if you like nuts in your banana muffins.
- Make sure the muffins are completely cool before placing in an air tight container.
- Serve the muffins with a cup of hot coffee or a chocolate latte.
How do you make fluffy muffins?
Using room temperature ingredients will help muffins rise light and fluffy.
Can you make these ahead of time?
Yes, banana muffins are awesome to make 1-2 days ahead of time because the banana flavor deepens each day.
More Banana Recipes
- Skinny Banana Bread
- Banana Cinnamon Rolls
- Cinnamon Banana Bread
- Banana Waffle recipe
- Banana Toffee Cake
- Triple Chocolate Banana Bread recipe
- Banana Donuts
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins were first published August 2015. The post was updated and republished August 2022.