When you think of classic Pennsylvania Dutch desserts, this Funny Cake recipe should be at the top! A moist vanilla cake and rich chocolate fudge are baked in a flakey pie crust. Top a slice with ice cream or whipped cream for an unforgettable experience.
*This content is sponsored by Dixie Crystals Sugar. All opinions and ideas expressed are entirely my own.
Growing up in the middle of Pennsylvania, I have eaten my share of Pennsylvania Dutch desserts and Amish treats. One of my favorite things to do in the fall was to go to craft fairs.
To be honest, I was really there for whoopie pies and pumpkin rolls. One year I tried a slice of funny cake and I fell in love with the simple but delicious treat.
Why You Will Love this Pie Cake
This funny cake recipe is the perfect dessert for your next get together. It is really easy to prepare, not too sweet, and everyone loves it.
When you can't decide between pie or cake for dessert, make this funny cake.The best part is watching the fudge layer magically sink to the bottom as it bakes.
What is Funny Cake?
This is a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch dessert recipe. The name was given to it because of the funny way it bakes. The flakey pie crust is filled with a moist vanilla cake batter and then covered with a dark chocolate topping.
Apparently, it is funny because as the cake pie recipe bakes, the chocolate layer sinks to the bottom.
All you need to make this PA dutch dessert from scratch are simple ingredients from your pantry.
- Pie Crust - A refrigerated pie crust saves time, but feel free to make a homemade pie crust, if you prefer.
- Butter - I like to use unsalted butter in all my recipes and control the amount of salt. If you are using salted butter, reduce the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens the cake batter.
- Extracts - A mixture of vanilla extract and almond extract gives it a great taste.
- Egg & Milk - The liquids needed to give the batter moisture.
- Cocoa Powder - My favorite cocoa powder is Hershey's dark cocoa. It gives it a rich dark color and taste.
- Flour - Provides structure to the dough. Use the spoon and sweep method when you are measuring. We have a post on how to measure flour if you are unsure how to do this correctly.
- Baking Powder - Provides the lift as the pie cake bakes.
How to make Funny Cake
This Pennsylvania Dutch cake is made up of three different layers. Follow these easy steps and you will be enjoying your own funny cake pie in no time at all.
- Unroll a refrigerated pie crust according to package directions.
- Place in pie plate and crimp edges. Refrigerate until needed.
- Beat the softened butter and granulated sugar until creamy.
- Add the egg and extracts and mix again.
- Beat in salt, baking powder, and half the flour.
- Add the rest of the flour and milk and mix again.
- Stir together sugar and cocoa powder.
- Whisk in hot water and vanilla and stir until dissolved.
Assemble & Bake
- Spread the vanilla cake batter evenly in the bottom of the pie crust.
- Spoon or slowly pour the chocolate syrup on top of the cake batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out mostly clean.
Keep this funny cake in a sealed container on the counter for 2-3 days, if it lasts that long. This is a great cake recipe to make ahead of time because it keeps for a few days.
Tips and Tricks
- Serving a crowd? Double the ingredients and bake two funny cakes.
- Almond extract takes this cake to a new level. It really does add a delicious flavor when mixed with vanilla.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to get it in and out of the oven easily.
- Spoon or pour the chocolate mixture on very slowly, so you do not disturb the cake batter.
- Want a crunch in your funny cake? Try adding ½ cup chopped nuts or shredded coconut to the top of the cake before baking.
- Serve slices of chocolate funny cake with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream and almond slices.
More Easy Pie Recipes
- Coconut Chocolate Pie
- Apple Crisp Pie
- Peanut Butter Pie Bars
- Homemade Cherry Pie
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars
- Mini Strawberry Pies
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.