It only takes a few minutes to make and then to enjoy this Easy Homemade Strawberry Pie Filling. It is perfect for pies, cakes, breakfast pastries, or spreading on toast.
With spring finally getting here, I am looking forward to lots of fruit. One thing I always loved doing with our kids when they were younger was to go strawberry picking.
There is nothing like a fresh strawberry on a warm day! Sadly, the kids don’t share my enthusiasm for going anymore, but that doesn’t stop me from making them go with us from time to time.
It’s about family time, and those cute photo opportunities. Now that we live in Florida, I have to remember that strawberry season and strawberry festivals are much earlier in the year.
I missed it again this year, so I’ll have to settle for buying strawberries in the store or at the farmer’s market.
Berries do not last very long in our refrigerator. We have some berry monsters who will eat an entire box if I’m not watching. I am so glad our kids love to eat fresh fruit and veggies.
So when I bought a new big box of strawberries, I had to make sure everyone knew they had to wait to start munching. These berries had a pie filling destiny.
Homemade pie filling is actually easier to make than you think. Sure, you can buy a can of strawberry pie filling at the store if you like paying for cans full of gel and very little berries.
This pie filling is easy to make, and it doesn’t take much time at all.
How to make Homemade Strawberry Pie Filling:
- Start with 5 cups of sliced (or diced) berries. You want to make sure there are plenty of strawberries in your filling.
- Water, sugar, and cornstarch gets boiled into a gel for coating the strawberries in.
- Pull the pan off the stove and stir in some strawberry Jello powder to thicken it even more and to give it a bright red color.
- Add the sliced strawberries and stir until everything is coated.
- Now comes the hard part. You have to have patience and wait for the homemade pie filling to cool off. It needs to cool off enough for you to put it in your refrigerator for a few hours. This will give it time to thicken up a little bit more.
Pro Tip: Make the pie filling the night before, so it is ready to go the next day.
What can you make with the best strawberry pie filling?
- This delicious Strawberry Lemon Snack Cake is a delicious way to use up extra pie filling.
- An easy Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake is a refreshing and light dessert for hot summer days.
- Swirls of strawberry pie filling, creamy cheesecake, and fudgy brownies makes these Strawberry Cheesecake Brownies the best kind of dessert.
- A pan of this easy Strawberry Chocolate Cinnamon Roll Bake is a delicious treat for breakfast or brunch.
Can you freeze homemade strawberry pie filling?
Yes, it freezes just fine. Thaw it overnight in the fridge before using it. There may be a little bit of extra water on top from thawing it, but you can pour that off easily before using the pie filling.
Can you make this strawberry pie filling without cornstarch or Jello?
Both of these ingredients help to thicken and stabilize the fruit filling. If you are looking for a strawberry pie filling without cornstarch or Jello, you may enjoy this Honey Lime Strawberry Sauce.
More easy strawberry recipes you may like:
Swirls of strawberries and graham cracker crumbs give these Strawberry Cheesecake Milkshakes a fun flair. Awesome frozen drink on a hot day!
This easy No Bake Strawberry Daiquiri Cheesecake is a refreshing dessert to enjoy on a hot summer day. Strawberry and lime pair so well in this light fluffy mousse cake!
Layers of no bake cheesecake, cookies, and pie filling make these Strawberry Mousse Cheesecake Parfaits a fun and easy treat to make for your loved ones.
Make a batch of this Strawberry Crisp Ice Cream for dessert. Homemade vanilla ice cream filled with chunks of strawberry crisp is a frozen treat that no one will forget.
The sweet and salty crust on this Strawberry Pretzel Pie makes this easy, no bake pie a delicious spring or summer dessert.
Connect more with Inside BruCrew Life!
Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag your photos with #brucrewlifebaking, so I can see all the Inside BruCrew Life recipes you are making.
- 5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 3.4 ounce box strawberry Jell-O powder
- Stir together the strawberries and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Whisk the sugar and cornstarch into the water in a large saucepan. Stir over high heat until the mixture turns clear and starts to bubble.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Jello powder and stir until dissolved.
- Add the strawberries and stir until completely coated in the gel mixture.
- Let the mixture cool on the back of the stove or counter for 1-2 hours, then refrigerate until chilled all the way through.
- Keep refrigerated in a sealed container for 4-5 days. It can also be frozen if you want to keep it longer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 17mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 1g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Homemade Strawberry Pie Filling was first published on March 22, 2014. The photos and post has been updated and republished on March 19, 2019.