It only takes a few minutes to make this delicious Strawberry Pie Filling. The 5 ingredient homemade pie filling recipe is perfect for pies, cakes, breakfast pastries, or as a breakfast spread for toast.
What do you look forward to when it starts to get warm outside? I looking forward to lots of fresh fruit. One thing we always loved doing with our kids when they were younger was strawberry picking.
There is nothing like a fresh strawberry on a warm day! Our kids are grown now and don't share my enthusiasm for going anymore. Thankfully, my husband humors me and will go with me from time to time.
Strawberry season and strawberry festivals are much earlier in the year in Florida. I missed it again this year, so I'll be buying strawberries in the store or at the farmer's market.
Why This Works
One of my absolute favorite things to do with fresh strawberries is to make homemade pie filling. It comes together so quickly and tastes great in so many desserts.
One problem that I run into is that our kids will eat all the fruit I bring home if I'm not watching. This time I made sure everyone knew they had to wait to start munching when I bought more. These red berries had a pie filling destiny.
Homemade pie filling is actually easier to make than you think. I have noticed that canned strawberry pie filling usually has so much gel and very little berries. When you make your own pie filling you can control what ingredients are in it and how sweet it is.
What You'll Need
This strawberry pie filling is made with 5 simple ingredients and one pan. The full ingredient list and instructions is at the bottom of the post.
- Strawberries - washed, dried, hulled, and sliced
- Lemon Juice - adds a little extra to the flavor
- Sugar - sweetens the homemade pie filling
- Cornstarch - thickens the filling
- Strawberry Jello - thickens, sweetens, and adds a bright red color to the pie filling
How to Make
This homemade strawberry pie filling comes together in minutes. The hardest part is waiting for it to cool off, so you can eat it.
- Start with 5 cups of sliced (or diced) berries. You want to make sure there are plenty of strawberries in your filling.
- Water, sugar, and cornstarch gets boiled into a gel for coating the strawberries in.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in some strawberry Jello powder to thicken the pie filling even more and to give it a bright red color.
- Add the sliced strawberries and stir until everything is coated.
- Allow the strawberry filling to cool completely on the counter. Spoon into a container and place in the refrigerator for a few hours to thicken up.
BRUCREW TIP: Make the pie filling the night before, so it is ready to use or eat the next day.
There are so many delicious and easy ways to use this fresh strawberry filling. Here are just a few of our favorite recipes.
- We loving using this strawberry pie filling in these little Strawberry Pretzel Parfaits.
- This delicious Lemon Snack Cake has swirls of strawberry pie filling baked in it.
- An easy Lemon and Strawberry Cake is a refreshing and light dessert for hot summer days.
- Swirls of strawberry pie filling, creamy cheesecake, and fudgy brownies makes these Strawberry Cheesecake Brownies the best kind of dessert.
- A pan of this easy Strawberry Cinnamon Roll Bake is a delicious treat for breakfast or brunch.
- Add a spoonful of pie filling and this Homemade Whipped Cream recipe to these Strawberry Waffles.
Can you freeze strawberry pie filling?
Yes, it freezes just fine. Make sure the strawberry filling is completely cooled, then spoon into a freezer safe container or bag. Freeze for 2-3 months.
Thaw it overnight in the fridge before using it. When you thaw the frozen pie filling, there is a little bit of extra water on top. Pour it off before using the pie filling.
Can you make this strawberry pie filling without cornstarch or Jello?
Both of these ingredients help thicken and stabilize this fruit filling recipe. If you are looking for a strawberry pie filling without cornstarch or Jello, you may enjoy this Strawberry Reduction.
More Strawberry Desserts
- Strawberry Cheesecake Milkshakes
- Strawberry Daiquiri Dessert
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits
- Strawberry Crisp Ice Cream
- Strawberry Pretzel Pie
- Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
- No Bake Strawberry Pie
- Strawberry Fluff Salad
- Easy Strawberry Cobbler
- Strawberry Cheesecake Poke Cake
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Homemade Strawberry Pie Filling was first published on March 22, 2014. The photos and post has been updated and republished on March 19, 2019.