Monster Sugar Cookies are the perfect treat to make at your next Halloween party. Frosting and candies transform homemade chocolate sugar cookies into spooky creatures. Kids of all ages will love making these decorated Halloween cookies!
When our kids were younger we would always get together with a group of our friends and their kids for a big Halloween party. These parties were always fun, but they were also stressful and a lot of work.
Putting together costumes, making food to eat, and entertaining kids until they can trick or treat are all real party struggles.
⭐ Why These Cookies are a Life Saver
This year I have the perfect answer to that party stress you are feeling. These monster sugar cookies are a fun and easy way to celebrate the spooky holiday!
Set up a table with chocolate sugar cookies, frosting, candies, and sprinkles and let the kids go to town making their own monster cookie masterpiece. Step back and let them do their thing!
Halloween sugar cookies will entertain the kids (at least for a little while) while they wait for trick or treating hours to begin. This edible craft is sure to be a hit at any gathering this year. Just don't forget the milk! (Or maybe a pumpkin cream cold brew for the adults?)
📋 Ingredients Needed
Bake these easy sugar cookie recipe ahead of time using ingredients from your pantry. While the chocolate sugar cookies are cooling, head to your local craft store or dollar store to buy a variety of candies, candy eyes, and sprinkles.
Look for different kinds of gummy candies, sprinkles, and edible googly eyes that can be used as hair and facial features on the decorated monster cookies.
- Butter - Set it out ahead of time, so it is soft and ready to mix.
- Sugar - Brown sugar and granulated sugar sweeten this cookie dough.
- Egg - Binds the ingredients together.
- Vanilla Extract & Salt - Adds flavor and balances the sweetness.
- Milk - Thins the dough slightly, so the chocolate cookies flatten easily.
- Flour - Gives the dough structure so the cookies hold together.
- Cocoa Powder - We love using Hershey's dark cocoa powder because it gives the cookies a very dark color. Regular cocoa is fine too.
- Baking Powder - Provides a little bit of lift as the cookies bake.
- Frosting - Purchase tubs of store-bought chocolate and vanilla frosting and black and red gel tubes. You can also make your own homemade dark chocolate frosting.
- Candy - gummy eyeballs and teeth, gummy worms and berries, candy corn, Runts, gumdrops, gummy shoestrings, and different chocolate candies and chocolate chips.
- Sprinkles - Use a variety of different colored jimmies, non pareil sprinkles, and edible googly eyes to create hair, eyelashes, or a mouth.
- Pretzel Sticks - Great for making legs on spider cookies or crazy hair on monsters.
⏲️ How to make Halloween Sugar Cookies
Use our easy step-by-step instructions to make the Halloween cookie pops the day before your party. The chocolate sugar cookie dough comes together so easily. Plus, there is no need to use cookie cutters with this cookie recipe.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Mix the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl until creamy.
- Stir in the dry ingredients slowly until a soft dough forms.
- Divide the cookie dough into 18 balls and roll in granulated sugar.
- Insert a popsicle stick into the center of each dough ball and place them on a baking sheets with the stick lying horizontal.
- Use the bottom of a flat glass to press the dough balls flat. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the cookies cool completely.
- Spread frosting on top of the cookie pops and decorate with candies and sprinkles to make your own spooky monster.
👩🏻🍳 Tips and Tricks
- On the day of the party, fill bowls with different colors of frostings. Tint some of the vanilla frosting with orange, green, and purple, if desired.
- Unwrap the candies and fill bowls or muffin tins with all the different candies and sprinkles.
- Cover the table with a plastic table cloth. This will protect your table and make clean up easy later.
- Place a disposable plate with a baked sugar cookie on a stick, a plastic knife, and a glass of milk at each place setting.
- If you have lots of younger kids, fill disposable muffin tins with frosting and candies and place it right in front of them. This will help minimize spills and fighting over candies.
💭 Recipe FAQ'S
These are just sugar cookies that are baked on a cookie stick or popsicle stick. They can be used to make cookie bouquets for parties or gifts.
There are two different options for adding a stick to a cookie.
1. Insert the cookie stick into the dough ball before baking. The dough will bake around them and hold the stick in place.
2. Use melted chocolate to attach the sticks to the back of the cookies after baking.
You can use wooden popsicle sticks or Wilton cookie sticks to make cookies on a stick. Both are ok to use in the oven while the cookies bake.
📖 More Easy Halloween Treats
- Halloween Rice Krispie Treats
- Owl Candy
- Ghost Cookies
- Creepy Pizza
- Dirt Cupcakes
- Halloween Eyeballs
- Halloween Sugar Cookies
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*The post for Monster Sugar Cookies was first published October 2018. The post was updated and republished October 2021.