Who says you shouldn’t play with your food? Have some fun and “dig” into these Dirt Cupcakes. Oreo crumbs and gummy worms make these pudding filled cupcakes a fun treat for kids of all ages.
One of my favorite desserts growing up was dirt pudding. This easy pudding dessert was always a staple at church potlucks. You never wanted to be the last one in line because the worms in dirt always disappeared first.
Years ago I needed to make cupcakes for our youngest son to take to school for his birthday, so I decided to recreate that layered pudding dessert inside a chocolate cupcake. The Dirt Cupcakes are topped with Oreo cookie crumbs and gummy worms…making them look like real dirt.
The best part about these cupcakes is the hidden pudding center. It makes them so moist and tasty!
Why We Love These Cupcakes
These pudding filled cupcakes are the perfect treat to make with your kids. They are easy, fun, and so delicious.
Kids of all ages will love helping out in the kitchen when you make these cupcakes. Get them involved by having them add the Oreo dirt and gummy worms.
These cupcakes will be the talk of every party you bring them too. Get ready to share the recipe with all your friends!
Dirt cupcakes are quite simple to make with just a few ingredients. Plus, they take less than 20 minutes to decorate.
- Chocolate Cake Mix – You are making the cupcakes according to the package directions, so you can use your favorite brand.
- Chocolate Pudding Mix – Make sure you buy an INSTANT pudding mix.
- Milk – You can use any variety of milk to make the pudding. The flavor and creaminess does come from the milk fat though, so 2% or whole is recommended.
- Cool Whip – Gives the pudding a fluffy texture. Regular or lite is fine. You can also use 3 cups of this easy homemade whipped cream, if you prefer.
- Chocolate Frosting – Using store bought frosting makes this recipe quick and easy. This dark chocolate frosting would also be great on these gummy worm cupcakes.
- Gummy Worms – Adds the fun worms and dirt look to this treat.
How to make Dirt Cupcakes
You won’t believe how easy it is to make these pudding filled dirt cupcakes. They really do come together in just minutes, so they are the perfect treat for any time.
- Bake the cupcakes. Mix together the chocolate cake mix and fill 24 cupcake liners. Bake and cool completely.
- Mix together milk and pudding mix in a large bowl. Let set. Add Cool Whip and stir gently.
- Remove the center of the cupcakes and fill with pudding mixture. Place cupcake piece back on top.
- Frost cupcakes with chocolate frosting and roll in crushed Oreo crumbs.
- Cut gummy worms in half. Make two holes in the top of the cupcakes and insert worm pieces.
Looking for a fun Halloween version? These cauldron cupcakes are spooky and delicious!
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before filling and frosting them. If they are still warm, the frosting will melt right off the top.
- Variations – Don’t like chocolate? Use a vanilla or yellow cake mix, vanilla pudding, vanilla frosting, and Golden Oreo crumbs
- These cupcakes are the perfect treat for birthday parties or Halloween. Add a spooky spider ring to the top of each cupcake for a fun party favor.
- Recipe Yield – The recipe makes 24 pudding filled cupcakes.
How to Store Cupcakes
Because of the dairy in these pudding cupcakes they need to be kept in the refrigerator in a sealed container. Cupcakes are best within 48 hours of making and filling them. After that the pudding centers tend to get a little gooier than desired.
The unfrosted and unfilled cupcakes can be kept in a sealed container on the counter for 1-2 days, if you want to make them ahead of time.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you core a cupcake?
- Cupcake Corer – a tool that removes the centers of each cupcake.
Sharp Paring Knife – insert the knife at 45° and remove the centers.
- Melon Baller – scoop out the soft middle of each cupcake.
- Small Round Cookie Cutter – press the cookie cutter into the center and twist to remove part of the cupcake.
Do I have to add the pudding center?
Not at all. The pudding center is just a fun and delicious addition to the cupcake. If you want to simplify the cupcake, skip the pudding.
How long do pudding filled cupcakes last?
The filled and assembled cupcakes will keep for 2-3 days, if kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Can these be made sugar free?
You can definitely turn these into sugar free cupcakes. Substitute the ingredients with a sugar free cake mix, pudding mix, canned frosting, and sugar free Oreos.
Other Easy Cupcake Recipes
- Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes recipe
- Starbucks Cupcakes
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Easy Mocha Cupcakes
- Banana Caramel Cupcake recipe
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
- 1 dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs (about 10 cookies crushed)
- 1 - 16 ounce can chocolate frosting
- 24 gummy worms, each one cut into 2 pieces
- 1 - 3.4 ounce box instant chocolate fudge pudding
- 1 1/2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 - 8 ounce container Cool Whip, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 24 cupcake liners in muffin tins.
- Prepare the cake mix according to box directions. Spoon evenly into the liners and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs on it.
- Place cupcakes on wire rack and let cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, whisk the pudding mix and milk together for 2 minutes. Refrigerate until set.
- Fold in 1 cup Cool Whip gently.
- Cut a small part out of the top/center of each cupcake. Fill the holes with a scoop of pudding.
- Cover with the piece of the cupcake top. Use a flat spatula to frost the top of the cupcakes with the canned frosting. Roll the top of the cupcakes in the Oreo crumbs.
- Store cupcakes in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Right before serving, use a sharp knife to cut two slits in the top of the cupcakes. Push two gummy worm halves into the cut.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 1g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Pudding Filled Dirt Cupcakes was first published October 2011. The post and photos were updated and republished October 2021.