With just 6 ingredients, you can make this creamy and delicious Nutella Buttercream in minutes. This easy frosting recipe is perfect for spreading on cakes and cupcakes.
Nutella is one of my favorite things to spread on breakfast pastries and toast. To be completely honest, I like eating it by the spoonful too. It's so delicious and creamy. Perfect for when you are craving chocolate.
The other day I made this chocolate banana cake and wanted some kind of chocolate frosting for it.
I decided to add Nutella to a basic buttercream recipe to give it a light chocolate flavor. It was the best idea ever because it created a light and fluffy frosting that tastes so dreamy!
Why This Works
This Nutella buttercream frosting is so easy to make in minutes. All you need is one bowl and a mixer to create a fluffy frosting that is rich and delicious.
The texture is creamy, yet it holds a shape. It is perfect for piping on cupcakes and brownie bites. You can also spread it on cakes and brownies with an offset spatula.
If you love Nutella, you have to try this easy frosting recipe. The flavor goes so well with vanilla, chocolate, pumpkin, banana, and funfetti cakes. One taste, and you will be hooked.
To make this Nutella frosting recipe, you will only need 5 basic ingredients, plus 1 jar of hazelnut spread. You probably have most of these ingredients in your kitchen right now.
- Butter - We always start with unsalted butter that is softened to room temperature.
- Nutella - One cup of this creamy spread gives this chocolate frosting the best flavor and taste.
- Vanilla Extract - Adds more flavor.
- Salt - Helps to tone down the sweetness in the frosting.
- Heavy Cream - Thins out the consistency of the frosting and gives it a light fluffy texture.
- Powdered Sugar - This sweetens and thickens the frosting. If there are lumps in the sugar, stir or sift it before adding it to the mixture.
How to Make
Follow our Nutella buttercream frosting recipe any time you need a chocolate topping to spread on your favorite chocolate cake .
- Place the softened butter and Nutella in a large mixing bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add the salt, vanilla extract, and some heavy cream and beat until creamy.
- Slowly mix in the confectioners sugar until all of it has been mixed in.
- Pour in the remaining heavy cream and beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy.
There is no wrong way to use this sweet creamy chocolate buttercream frosting. The light chocolate flavor enhances everything from cake recipes to brownies.
It's also delicious as a filling inside these chocolate brownies cookies.
- Set the butter out at least an hour ahead of time, so it is easy to mix into the other ingredients.
- Use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a hand held electric mixer to beat the ingredients together.
- Make sure you mix the butter and Nutella together first. Once that is creamy, slowly add the other ingredients.
- We like to use Nutella for this buttercream recipe, but any chocolate hazelnut spread will work.
- If the frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If the frosting is too thick, add a little more liquid.
How much frosting does this make?
This recipe makes enough to pipe a swirl on 24 cupcakes. It can also be used to frost a 9x13 cake or an 8 inch layer cake.
What if my buttercream is too thick?
Add a tablespoon of heavy cream at a time and mix the frosting until you reach a consistency you like.
How do you store buttercream frosting?
Keep the frosting in a covered container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
It can also be made and frozen for future baked goods. Thaw it in the fridge overnight, then bring to room temperature before whipping again.
More Frosting Recipes
- Creamy Vanilla Frosting
- Salted Caramel Frosting
- Marshmallow Buttercream
- Dark Chocolate Frosting
- Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.