This is the Best Banana Cake recipe you will ever taste. It has a dense and moist, yet fluffy texture that is perfect. Plus, it is topped with a creamy hot fudge frosting that everyone goes crazy for.
A friend from college gave me this recipe for ripe bananas years ago. It is truly the best banana cake I have ever eaten!
This banana cake and these double chocolate banana muffins are my go to recipes when I have extra brown bananas.
The cake is amazing by itself, but I love frosting. So, I whipped up a batch of hot fudge frosting for the top. Best idea ever!
Why This Recipe Is Best
The best banana cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion. It is easy to make, and it comes out perfect every single time.
One bite of this cake and you will be jumping for joy. It is moist, fluffy, and topped with a creamy chocolate frosting that will have you coming back for another bite.
A hot fudge frosting is what sets this banana cake recipe apart from all the rest. The delicious chocolate flavor comes from using dark chocolate ice cream topping.
This banana cake is so easy to make. You probably already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen already.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens the cake batter. You can also use a mixture of half granulated and half brown sugar, if you like.
- Shortening - Gives the cake a soft crumb texture. You can use unsalted butter if you like, but shortening really does give it the best texture.
- Eggs - Use large eggs for the best results.
- Vanilla Extract, Salt, & Cinnamon - Added for flavor.
- Baking Soda - Reacts with the buttermilk to provide the rise as the cake bakes.
- Flour - We use all purpose flour in most of our recipes. See how to measure flour correctly, so your cake turns out correctly every time.
- Buttermilk - Provides a soft texture to the cake crumb and also helps it rise.
- Bananas - Dark, spotted bananas are best for baked goods because they are sweeter.
- Hot Fudge Frosting - adding dark chocolate hot fudge topping to a simple buttercream icing gives it a light chocolate flavor.
How to Make the Best Banana Cake
Not only is this banana cake absolutely delicious, it is also very easy to make. It takes minutes to put together, and only requires one bowl.
- Recipe prep. Preheat the oven. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick baking spray, so the cake doesn't stick. Assemble and measure ingredients first because this makes it easier to make the cake.
- Mash the bananas. I usually just use a plate and fork, but a potato masher would work too.
- Make banana cake batter. Beat the shortening and sugar in a large bowl until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas and mix again. Stir together the dry ingredients. Alternately add to the batter with the buttermilk.
- Bake and cool. Pour the cake batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. A few moist crumbs is ok. Place on a wire rack until it cools completely.
- Make hot fudge frosting. Beat softened butter, vanilla, salt, and warm hot fudge topping in a medium bowl until creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar and heavy cream and beat until light and fluffy.
- Decorate and serve. Spread the chocolate frosting on top of the cooled banana cake. Add warm hot fudge drizzles and sliced banana to the cake squares right before serving, if desired.
Store the frosted banana cake in an air tight container on the counter for 2-3 days. You can also refrigerate it, and it will keep for 5-7 days. Make sure the cake is tightly covered, so it does not dry out.
You can also freeze the unfrosted cake. Wrap the cooled cake tightly in 2 layers of plastic wrap, then in foil. Place in a freezer safe container and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and frost right before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Do not over mix the batter because it can cause the cake to be overly dense or to sink in the center.
- Use extra ripe bananas for the best flavor. If the bananas are not quite ready, see how to ripen bananas in the oven with these easy tips.
- Don't like chocolate? Add cream cheese frosting or marshmallow buttercream to the top.
- Change up the cake by adding mini chocolate chips or your favorite chopped nuts to the batter before baking.
Why is my banana cake dry?
This particular banana cake should be very moist. One reason that your cake is dry might be because you used too much flour or not enough liquid.
Another reason for dried out cakes is over baking or an oven that doesn't run true to temperature.
Why doesn't my banana cake taste like banana?
If your cake doesn't taste very banana-y, it might be because your bananas weren't ripe enough when you baked it. You want to choose very dark bananas for the best and sweetest flavor.
Can this banana cake be made ahead of time?
Yes, in fact the taste just keeps getting better and better. It is an easy recipe to make 1-2 days ahead of time.
More Banana Cakes
- Chocolate Banana Cake
- Banana Coffee Cake
- Banana Zucchini Cake
- Nutella Banana Snack Cake
- Banana Toffee Cake
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
(original photo from February 2012)
*The post and recipe for Best Banana Cake was first published February 2012. The photos and post were updated January 2019 and then republished August 2022.