Our Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are a delightful way to welcome fall. This Starbucks copycat recipe has a creamy cheesecake filling inside a pumpkin spice muffin, making it the perfect fall breakfast!
I love the fall season because I can bake pumpkin scones or bread without judgment. Our kids give me funny looks when I bake pumpkin recipes in the summer. But that's ok. Sometimes you need treats like pumpkin dessert hummus or these pumpkin muffins.
Recently I shared a recipe for Starbucks pumpkin cream cold brew, so making the Starbucks pumpkin cream cheese muffins was next on my list. A cream cheese filling is a delicious way to enjoy cheesecake for breakfast.
Why Make This Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
The combination of soft, fluffy pumpkin spice muffins filled with a creamy cream cheese center will have everyone asking for more. Not only are our pumpkin cream cheese muffins delicious, but they'll also prepare everyone for fall.
- Save time and money. Skip the long lines and over-priced food at the coffee shop by recreating these treats in your kitchen.
- Soft and delicious. Get ready to indulge in the most heavenly muffins you've ever tasted! These muffins come out of the oven unbelievably light and fluffy with a sweet, creamy center.
- Great fall breakfast. This simple recipe contains spices and real pumpkin, making a delicious breakfast or brunch treat.
The best part is that you don't have to wait for these seasonal pumpkin muffins to appear in stores. You can bake them in your kitchen all year long.
Ingredients For Pumpkin Muffins
Prepare to make this delicious pumpkin muffin recipe using everyday ingredients from your pantry!
- Cream Cheese - For the best taste and creamiest center, use full-fat cream cheese. Make sure it is room temperature so you don't get lumps.
- Canola Oil - Gives the muffins a tight, tender crumb and a light, fluffy texture.
- Sugar - A mixture of granulated sugar and brown sugar sweetens the muffins.
- Large Eggs - Hold the ingredients together.
- Pumpkin Puree - Gives these muffins a delicious pumpkin flavor. Make sure you buy the canned puree, NOT the pumpkin pie mix. They are two different ingredients.
- All Purpose Flour - Gives structure to the muffins. Read our tutorial on how to measure flour to make sure you are adding the correct amount.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda - You must use both to get the required lift as the muffins bake.
- Spices - Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves make the muffins a delicious pumpkin pie spice flair.
- Buttermilk - Adds moisture and makes the muffins moist and fluffy.
- Pepitas - These will give the muffins an excellent taste and make them look like Starbucks. They are optional if you want to leave them off.
How to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Get ready to fall in love with these pumpkin muffins! With a delicious cheesecake center, they're not only super easy to make but will make your kitchen smell amazing as they bake.
- Make the filling. Beat softened cream cheese with sugar, vanilla extract, and a little flour. Spoon it evenly into two ziplock bags. Cut one large corner off each bag.
- Mix wet ingredients. Beat the eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla with the sugar in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients. Pour the flour, spices, baking powder & soda, and buttermilk into the bowl and beat until combined.
- Assemble and bake. Spoon the batter evenly into a greased muffin pan. Use the first bag of cream cheese to fill the muffins. Push the opening into the batter and press slightly. Use the second filling bag to add a swirl to the top of each pumpkin muffin. Sprinkle the top of the cream cheese muffins with pepitas and bake.
BruCrew Tip: Only let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Carefully remove them and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
It's best to refrigerate these cream cheese-stuffed pumpkin muffins. You can also freeze these pumpkin muffins to enjoy later, but I think they taste best fresh.
In the Refrigerator - Store the cooled muffins in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
In the Freezer - Place the muffins in individual bags and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge before eating.
To Reheat - Heat one muffin in the microwave for 8-10 seconds to get that "fresh from the oven" taste.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure you buy real pumpkin puree and not the pumpkin pie mix. The mix has added sugar and spices in it.
- Do not over-mix the batter after adding the dry ingredients. Too much mixing can cause muffins to be tough.
- Spray your muffin tins with baking spray with flour in it. Make sure to wipe out any excess spray on the pan's sides. The muffin batter must be able to "grab" onto the sides of the pan. You can also use paper liners.
- A large spoon or cookie scoop is the easiest way to fill your muffin tins evenly.
- Use a piping bag or ziplock baggie to add the cream cheese filling to the center of these muffins.
- The pepitas on top are optional, but they add great taste.
Yes, you can use 2-3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice in place of the other ones.
To get a full cheesecake center, use a ziplock bag to squeeze the filling into the center of the batter, then add a swirl to the top of the batter. This way, you will have a cream cheese filling through the muffin.
Not at all. Just bake the muffin batter and enjoy sweet pumpkin spice muffins.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
- Best Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Cobbler recipe
- Traditional Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first published in September 2020. It was updated and republished in August 2023.