This Chocolate Banana Cake is soft and moist, and full of banana flavor. A creamy Nutella frosting adds the perfect touch to the chocolate snack cake. It's so easy to make and will get smiles from all your taste testers.
If you love banana desserts, be sure to check out this banana breakfast cake and this banana zucchini cake.
What is your favorite thing to make with ripe bananas? Most of the time when we have brown bananas on the counter, we make sour cream banana bread.
Every once in a while though I get the urge to make something different with those bananas. When that happens I like to pull out my 9x13 pan and make banana cake. It's a great way to use up 3-4 bananas at a time.
Why You Will Love This
One of the most popular flavor combinations is chocolate and banana. So it only makes sense to put them together in one delicious banana chocolate dessert.
This chocolate snack cake is just like our best banana cake except that it has cocoa powder added to it. Trust me, you are going to love it.
Plus, it has Nutella buttercream all over the top. It takes the banana cake to a whole new level of awesomeness! You won't be able to resist taking another bite - or two, or three...
It is the perfect chocolate cake for any occasion! Whether you are celebrating a birthday, anniversary, or just want something sweet and tasty, this chocolate banana cake will hit the spot.
What You'll Need
This banana cake with chocolate frosting is easy to make with common baking ingredients that you probably have on hand. Over ripe bananas are the key to the flavor and moist texture in this recipe.
- Butter - Use unsalted butter that has been softened to room temperature. Salted butter can be used as long as you reduce the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens the cake batter. You can also use a mixture of half regular sugar and half brown sugar.
- Eggs - Use large eggs for best results.
- Bananas - Dark brown bananas will give you the best flavor. If your bananas are not quite ready, see how to ripen bananas in the oven with these easy tips.
- Cinnamon, Salt, & Vanilla Extract - Adds flavor.
- Flour - This recipe uses all purpose flour. Make sure you know how to measure flour correctly because it can affect the outcome of baked goods.
- Cocoa Powder - My favorite is Hershey's dark cocoa powder because it tastes great and adds a rich dark color. Regular cocoa powder works just fine too.
- Baking Soda - Helps the cake rise as it bakes.
- Buttermilk - Gives the cake a softer texture and also helps it rise.
How To Make
This chocolate banana cake recipe is so easy to follow and results in a delicious, moist cake. The sweet Nutella frosting adds just enough sweetness without overwhelming it.
- Prep the pan. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Beat the butter and sugar. Add the softened butter and sugar to a large bowl. Beat until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and mashed banana. Beat the wet ingredients with the butter mixture until everything is combined.
- Stir together the dry ingredients. Slowly add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk and mix until a batter forms.
- Bake the cake. Spread the banana cake batter in the prepared pan and bake until done. Use a toothpick inserted in the center to check if it is done.
- Cool and frost. Once the cake has cooled completely. Mix together your desired frosting and spread on top of the cake.
- Decorate and eat. Add chocolate sprinkles, chocolate curls, chopped nuts, or banana slices to the top of the cake slices right before serving.
Keep the frosting chocolate and banana cake in an airtight container on the counter for 2-3 days. You can also refrigerate it and it will keep for 4-5 days. That is if you can keep everyone out of it.
- Best way to have a good banana flavor in baked goods is to use over ripe bananas.
- You will need a 9x13 pan for this cake recipe. Make sure to spray it with a nonstick baking spray to keep the cake from sticking.
- Use a cake tester or toothpick to make sure the cake is done. There should be a few moist crumbs on it when the cake is done.
- Cool the cake completely before adding the frosting. Warm cake can melt your frosting.
- For an extra decadent dessert, serve a slice of cake with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
- Add 1 cup of your favorite chopped nuts.
- Stir in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
- Instead of the Nutella frosting, top the cake with a creamy vanilla frosting or with the best peanut butter frosting.
- Don't want frosting? Sprinkle it with powdered sugar before serving.
More Banana Recipes
- Cinnamon Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Banana Nutella Cake
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake
- Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The original post for Chocolate Banana Cake was first published October 2014. New pictures and text were added March 2022.
Chocolate and banana combination will never go wrong! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Would try to bake these this weekend!
Oh my goodness, Chocolate Banana Cake looks delicious! I’m definitely making this! thanks for sharing!
Don't mind me if I just eat the frosting.
Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking
When I heard that my youngest cousin was driving, I about had a heart attack. And then a few days ago, my mom reminded me that she was a freshman in college. Already. AHH!!! Where does the time go? (And she's not even MY kid, so I can't even imagine how you feel!) But at least chocolate, nutella, and cake solve everything! 😉 Pinned!
This looks amazing !
I like chocolate cake.Thanks for the recipe.
Chances are I won't be getting any college calls since I homeschool-but that is still rather exciting and scary! To think that it's not even that far off! Here's what I love about this cake-you can see the bananas. Only Chocolate 😉 I love a cake in disguise!
This cake looks SOOO moist, and that frosting sounds divine! Pinning. 🙂
Thanks for the pin love, Marcie! 🙂
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain
I love this as a new fun way to use up all those leftover bananas I have chilling out in the apartment...and banana + nutella sounds like a match made in heaven! Love this recipe, Jocelyn!
Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
I could totally eat that frosting by the spoonful too! OK, kinda the same but not - I started thinking yesterday about having to register my son for Kindergarten and I'm in shock. I can't imagine when college comes around!
Crazy how fast they grow, right? Thanks Brianne!
Jennifer | Bake or Break
This sounds so good! And your chocolate curls are beautiful! 🙂
Oh, girl it was sooo good! And thanks...they came from a container I found at Walmart 🙂 LOL!
This cake looks like a great reason for a sugar coma!!!
Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats
I'm pretty sure stuffing your face with this marvelous cake was a great coping technique 🙂
It most definitely was! 😉