Layers of homemade brownies and a no bake peppermint cheesecake make this Peppermint Brownie Trifle an impressive dessert to bring to holiday parties.
A few years ago we visited my family over Thanksgiving. We were able to stay at my sister's house while we were there, and it was fun to catch up with her over those few days. And of course seeing our little niece and nephew was a treat because they are getting so big, so fast.
While we were there, we made a batch of Chocolate Cherry Chunk Cookies and talked dessert. Surprise, surprise. I still like to make and talk dessert even when I'm not home.
While we were talking she asked me about making a no bake cheesecake. Apparently, she had been craving one and tried to put one together using the ingredients in her fridge instead of what the recipe called for.
She thought she could use milk in place of whipping cream. Silly girl! I had quite a laugh at her expense. It's ok. She was totally laughing too!
Just so you know, milk cannot be used in place of whipping cream for a no bake cheesecake! My sister found that out when she went back hours later to see if her cheesecake had set up.
However, I gave her props for improvising and freezing the runny mixture. She said it was kind of like an icy frozen cheesecake and got her past her craving.
I usually have tubs of Cool Whip in my refrigerator for cheesecake instead of whipping cream. Yes, I know. The white stuff that some people find so controversial is always in our house.
I came home from visiting my sister and whipped up a creamy no bake peppermint cheesecake because apparently my love for peppermint has no end.
Then I made these Homemade Chocolate Chip Brownies, minus the chocolate chips and layered the two together in a bowl. A store bought brownie mix works just as well too, if you were wondering.
This Peppermint Brownie Trifle looks so impressive all layered together in a clear trifle bowl.
- dark cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- cream cheese
- peppermint extract
- Andes Peppermint Crunch Chips (I'm seriously obsessed with them and always have a few bags in the pantry)
- Cool Whip
- Andes Peppermint Crunch Candy Bars
How to make a Peppermint Brownie Trifle
- Mix together the melted butter and cocoa powder.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour, salt, baking powder, and butter mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 30 minutes. Let the brownie cool completely before cutting it into 1-inch squares.
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and extracts until creamy.
- Place the peppermint crunch chips and some shortening in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds. Stir until melted and creamy. You may need to heat again for 15-20 seconds.
- Mix the melted peppermint into the cream cheese mixture.
- Fold in Cool Whip and more peppermint crunch chips.
- Layer the brownie cubes and no bake peppermint cheesecake in a large clear bowl.
- Top with more Cool Whip, peppermint crunch chips, and candy bars.
More peppermint desserts for the holidays
- Peppermint Oreo Cheesecake
- Oreo Peppermint Crunch Cookies
- Peppermint Oreo Bark
- Peppermint Mocha Fudge Tart
- Peppermint Rice Krispies Pinwheels
*The post and recipe for this Peppermint Brownie Trifle was originally published on December 14, 2015. The post has been updated and republished on November 29, 2018.