A slice of this Pineapple Sunshine Cake will brighten up any day. The light and fluffy homemade cake recipe is packed with pineapple and topped with a creamy pineapple whipped cream frosting.
This quick and easy sheet cake will add a tropical twist to your dinner parties, Easter brunch, potlucks, or just any time you want a slice of sunshine.
*I am partnering with Dixie Crystals to bring you this cake recipe. Click HERE to see the full recipe.
Pineapple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
Baking this bright and sunny cake is sure to bring a smile to your face. The fruity flavor will transport you to your favorite tropical island with every bite. This Pina Colada Trifle is another one of my favorite tropical desserts.
Pineapple cake is cool and refreshing which makes it the perfect summer dessert. This cake is also the perfect dessert to enjoy on a cold winter day because it will bring some sunshine into your day.
Add a big glass of Pineapple Punch for a complete tropical vibe.
This cake recipe is a homemade version of a vintage cake recipe that is in all the old church cookbooks that I have read. The old fashioned version uses a yellow cake mix and instant pudding.
By using a few simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand, you can enjoy that same pineapple cake from scratch.
For the Cake:
- Crushed Pineapple – The juice and fruit adds moisture and flavor to the cake, so do not drain the can of pineapple.
- Sour Cream and Eggs – Provide moisture and helps the rise of the cake
- Granulated Sugar – Sweetens the cake batter.
- Flour, Baking Soda, and Salt – Gives the cake structure, lift, and flavor
- Vanilla Extract, Ground Allspice and Ginger – Gives this pineapple cake a little bit of extra spice and enhances flavor.
For the Frosting:
- Heavy Whipping Cream – Beat until stiff peaks from and then set aside.
- Butter, Cream Cheese, and Vanilla – Make sure the butter and cream cheese are softened before you mix them together.
- Powdered Sugar – Sweetens the cream cheese frosting.
- Crushed Pineapple – Make sure to drain this small can of pineapple very well because you do not want excess liquid in the frosting.
Decorating the top of this homemade pineapple cake with cream cheese frosting, fresh pineapple slices, and cherries makes it look pretty and taste absolutely delicious. It is such a great dessert for summer cookouts!
How to make a Pineapple Sunshine Cake:
- Mix together the sugar, undrained can of crushed pineapple, and sour cream.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until cake batter forms.
- Spread in greased pan and bake.
- Drain the small can of crushed pineapple very well and set aside.
- Beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Beat softened butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until creamy.
- Mix in powdered sugar and drained pineapple, then fold in whipped cream.
- Spread frosting on top of cooled cake and refrigerate.
- Top with fresh pineapple slices and cherries right before serving.
FYI: I am sharing the ingredients and full directions for this cake on Dixie Crystals. Click HERE to see the full recipe.
Recipe Tips and Tricks:
- Do not drain the large can of crushed pineapple. The juice and fruit is what gives this vintage cake recipe flavor and moisture.
- Place a metal bowl and wire whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes before beating the heavy whipping cream.
Can this pineapple cake recipe be made ahead of time?
This sunshine cake can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator. It will keep up to 5 days if properly sealed.
Do you need to refrigerate pineapple cake?
Yes this cake needs to be kept in the refrigerator. The cream cheese frosting is a dairy based frosting and needs to be kept chilled.
Other homemade cake recipes:
- Peaches and Cream Cake Roll
- Apple Pecan Upside Down Cake
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake
- Vanilla Bean Pound Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
*Dixie Crystals has sponsored this recipe and post. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. Thank you for letting me share products and brands we use and love. See my disclosure policy for more information.*