Three times the chocolate makes this moist and rich Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake a decadent and delicious way to eat your greens. This chocolate zucchini dessert is the perfect recipe to serve all year long.
About This Recipe
Do you get excited for certain ingredients at certain times of the year? During the summer months, I get excited to use green veggies in my baking.
I know I should enjoy zucchini as a veggie more often, but I seriously love baking it into chocolate zucchini desserts. It gives them such an awesome texture and taste!
This Chocolate Zucchini Cake and this Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread WERE two of my favorite ways to "eat my greens". They were my favorite until I had a slice of this decadent chocolate zucchini bundt cake. This cake is now my favorite zucchini dessert recipe.
A few weeks ago I headed to the grocery store because I was craving more chocolate covered zucchini. I wanted to use the green veggies to make an over the top zucchini bundt cake.
This moist and rich chocolate zucchini cake has chocolate glaze and chocolate chips. One bite and you will agree that this is the best way to eat your greens.
Three cups of shredded veggies inside this zucchini bundt cake gives you a good reason to call this dessert a veggie. A slice of this cake can totally count as part of your daily greens. Wink, wink!
Thee kinds of chocolate make this the most decadent, amazing, and delicious chocolate zucchini cake you will ever bake!
- Butter - Unsalted and Softened
- Sugar - A mixture of brown and granulated sugar sweetens this zucchini cake.
- Eggs & Buttermilk - Adds moisture and richness to the cake batter.
- Vanilla Extract & Salt - Adds flavor.
- Zucchini - 3 cups of grated zucchini makes the cake rich & moist. No one will even know there are veggies hiding inside.
- All Purpose Flour - Gives the cake structure. Learn how to properly measure flour so your recipes always turn out.
- Dark Cocoa Powder - Gives the cake batter a dark rich color and flavor. We love Hershey's dark cocoa.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda - Provides the lift this moist chocolate zucchini cake needs.
- Spices - Cinnamon and nutmeg add a slight spice to the cake.
- Mini Chocolate Chips - adds pockets of chocolate goodness inside and out!
How to Make
This chocolate cake with zucchini comes together so quickly and easily. Make sure to grease and flour your bundt pan very well before adding the cake batter.
- Grease a 12 cup bundt pan. Make sure it is not a smaller pan, or the cake will not bake right.
- Beat softened butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, spices, baking powder, and baking soda in another bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk until a batter forms.
- Add the shredded zucchini and mini chocolate chips and stir in gently.
- Spoon the chocolate cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then flip out onto a plate and cool completely.
- Drizzle with chocolate glaze and add more chocolate chips.
PRO TIP: If your shredded zucchini is EXTRA wet, squeeze some of the excess liquid out of it BEFORE adding it to the cake batter.
A chocolate glaze rolling down the sides of the zucchini bundt cake adds another layer of chocolate goodness. The glaze is optional. You can also sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the cooled cake.
- Stir together chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat for 30 seconds.
- Stir until melted and creamy. Let the chocolate mixture cool for a few minutes.
- Spoon the chocolate glaze over the top of the cooled zucchini bundt cake.
How do you make a buttermilk substitute?
Homemade buttermilk is very easy to make. Pour 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice into a liquid measuring cup, then add milk until it reaches the ½ cup mark. Let it sit 5-10 minutes before using.
Do you need to peel the zucchini before making chocolate cake?
There is no need to peel the zucchini for this chocolate cake recipe. Use the smallest holes on a veggie grater to shred the zucchinis, peels and all. No one will even know there are veggies in the chocolate cake.
More Zucchini Dessert Recipes
- Zucchini Cream Cheese Muffins
- Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
- Banana Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies
- Banana Zucchini Cake
- Best Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Donuts
- Pineapple Zucchini Cake
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
Made today not serving till tomorrow does this need to be in fridge? Or ok in a cool room
I made this cake for tomorrow..looks great..hope inside is as good as the outside looks..my question is it's in a Tupperware container and in the dining room darker spot a bit cooler than rest of house is that ok? Or does it need to be in fridge. I'm afraid it will dry out in fridge !?
The cake will be fine sitting out on the counter as long as it is loosely covered. If you are keeping it for a longer period of time, you could refrigerate it. I hope you enjoy the cake.
This cake is in the oven as I type.... I added some instant coffee crystals to the cake batter, and also made a cream cheese/coffee glaze to drizzle on top. Can’t wait to try it.