Three times the chocolate makes this Ultimate Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake a decadent and fun way to eat your greens. It’s such a great summer dessert!
Do you get excited for certain ingredients at certain times of the year? I know right now we are quickly headed toward fall, and everyone is getting ready for pumpkin and apple all day long.
I’ll admit that I’ve already stocked up on a few cans of pumpkin because I’m ready to do some pumpkin baking very soon. But during the later summer months, I get excited for a different veggie to use in my baking.
I know I should enjoy zucchini as a veggie more often, but I seriously love baking it into my chocolate goods. It gives them such an awesome texture and taste! This Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cake and this Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread were two of my favorite ways to “eat my greens”.
I say they were my favorite because this decadent cake staring back at you jumped into the number one zucchini recipe spot as soon as I took a bite. For now anyway…I reserve the right to change my mind as soon as I bake another chocolate zucchini dessert because that’s just what I do.
A few weeks ago I headed to the grocery store because I was craving more chocolate covered zucchini. Since my bundt pan has been feeling neglected, I decided to use the veggie to make an over the top chocolate cake.
Using thee kinds of chocolate made this the most decadent, most amazing, and most delicious cake ever. You can see why I had to call it the ultimate, right?
Dark chocolate cocoa powder in the batter gives it the dark rich color. Mini chocolate chips in the batter and on top add little pockets of chocolate goodness inside and out.
And then the chocolate glaze rolling over the sides of the cake will have you swooning. Spooning that chocolate over the top was difficult because all I wanted to do was pour it into my mouth.
The three cups of shredded zucchini inside this bundt cake gives you a good reason to call this dessert a veggie. A slice of this cake can totally count as part of your daily greens. Wink, wink!
Yes, I realize my logic on greens and chocolate is slightly skewed. It’s why my shorts and I have an epic battle every summer. But we will have to continue fighting because I’m not giving up my chocolate covered zucchini any time soon.
So, would you be able to resist this chocolate zucchini cake if it was sitting on your counter? I sure didn’t.
How to make the Ultimate Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake:
- Beat softened butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat again. (full recipe below)
- Stir together the dry ingredients. Add them alternately with the milk until a batter forms.
- Add the shredded zucchini and mini chocolate chips and stir in gently.
- Spoon into a greased 12 cup bundt pan. Make sure it is not smaller or the cake will not bake right.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then flip out onto a plate and cool completly.
- Drizzle with chocolate glaze and add more chocolate chips.
PRO TIP: If your zucchini is extra wet when you grate it, make sure to squeeze the excess liquid out of it BEFORE adding it to the cake batter.
For the Cake
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups finely shredded zucchini* (see note below)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Glaze
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12 cup bundt pan with nonstick baking spray. (I like Baker's Joy for bundt cakes)
- Beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add the dry alternately with the buttermilk until everything is incorporated. Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out mostly clean. Remove and cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then flip it out onto a plate and cool completely.
- Place the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir until melted and creamy.
- Let it cool 5-10 minutes, then spoon over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with the mini chips and let set. Store in a tightly sealed container.
- If your zucchini is really wet after you grate it, make sure to squeeze the excess water out of it BEFORE adding it to the cake batter.
- If you do not have buttermilk on hand, pour 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice in a measuring cup, then add milk until it reaches the 1/2 cup mark. Let it sit 5-10 minutes before using.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 353mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 3gSugar: 38gProtein: 7g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.