These Strawberry Sugar Cookies are soft, chewy, and bursting with flavor. Freeze-dried strawberries and red sanding sugar add sweetness and a fun pop of color to the dough.
These sugar cookies are soft and chewy and bursting with berry flavor. Baking with fresh strawberries can be difficult because of the excess moisture they add. To get an intense flavor, I use freeze-dried strawberries.
Chocolate drizzles and sprinkles add a festive touch for Valentine's Day or Mother's Day. They're the perfect treat to share with your loved ones!
Why You Will Love These Strawberry Cookies
Attention all strawberry lovers! You must try these delightful, chewy strawberry cookies. They are loaded with flavor and have the same bright color as fresh berries.
- These strawberry cookies are ridiculously easy to make. They can be baked right away without using a rolling pin and cookie cutters.
- One of the benefits of this cookie dough is that NO chilling time is required before baking.
- These sugar cookies get their sweet strawberry flavor and light pink color from freeze-dried strawberry powder.
- The red sanding sugar on the outside gives them a red shimmer and adds a delicious crunch.
Main Ingredients Needed
This strawberry sugar cookie recipe comes together quickly with a few simple ingredients. Keep a few extra bags of freeze-dried strawberries in your pantry so you can make these treats anytime.
- Butter - We use unsalted butter in our recipes to adjust the taste. If you use salted butter, do not add any additional salt.
- Granulated White Sugar - Sweetens the cookie dough.
- Egg - Adds moisture and binds the ingredients together.
- All-Purpose Flour - Make sure you know how to measure flour correctly so your recipes turn out right every time.
- Freeze-Dried Strawberries - Dried strawberries have the same taste as fresh berries, but they last longer because the water is removed.
- Strawberry Extract - This enhances the strawberry fruit flavor. Vanilla extract can also be used.
- Toppings - Use red sanding sugar, chocolate melting wafers, and sprinkles to add a pop of color. However, these are totally optional.
BruCrew Tip: Want pink cookies? Use pink food coloring in the dough, then roll the balls in pink sanding sugar.
How To Make Strawberry Sugar Cookies
Get ready to enjoy these strawberry sugar cookies in no time at all. The dough is easily made with a stand mixer and one bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients. Beat the softened butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and creamy. Add egg and strawberry extract and mix again.
- Add the dry ingredients. Stir in the dry ingredients and strawberry powder until a soft dough forms.
- Scoop and roll. Use a small cookie scoop to make 18 even balls. Roll each cookie dough ball in red sanding sugar, then place it on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake, then place on a cooling rack.
- Decorate for parties. Once they have cooled completely, decorate one side of each cookie with melted chocolate drizzles. Add some fun sprinkles before the chocolate sets.
On the Counter - Keep the fruity cookies in an airtight container on the counter for 4-5 days.
In the Freezer - Freeze the undecorated cookies in a freezer bag or container for 1-2 months. Thaw completely before adding the chocolate and sprinkles.
Tips and Tricks
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat to keep the cookies from sticking.
- Find freeze-dried fruits by the dried fruits in Target or at Trader Joe's.
- Add white chocolate chips for a sweet strawberries and cream flavor.
- To make brighter cookies, tint the dough with red food coloring before rolling it into balls.
- Cover the dough balls in colored sanding sugar or granulated sugar for a shiny and tasty sugar coating.
- Drizzle with melted milk chocolate, then add sprinkles to customize them for parties.
- Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream between two cookies for a delicious ice cream sandwich treat.
No, the dough does not need to be chilled. You can roll and bake the dough as soon as you make it.
Freeze-dried berries are the only ones that will work in this strawberry cookie recipe. Fresh or frozen will add too much moisture to the cookie dough.
To make strawberry powder, purchase bags of freeze-dried strawberries from your local grocery store. Next, crush them in a food processor until you obtain a fine powder.
Other Strawberry Desserts
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Strawberry Fluff Salad
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
- Strawberry Applesauce
- Strawberry Kiss Cookies
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and then a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first written in February 2022. It was updated and then republished in January 2024.