Strawberry Fluff Salad is the perfect summertime dessert. It’s light, fluffy, and made with fresh strawberries and angel food cake. It only takes minutes to make, so you can whip it up at the last second for your next picnic or barbecue!
Try this amazing chocolate fluff salad for the chocolate lover's in your life.
Why Make Strawberry Shortcake Fluff
Fluff salads are a popular no bake dessert during the summer. Most families have a recipe that has been handed down from their grandma. They are the perfect side dish to share at picnics, barbecues, or family gatherings.
One our favorite versions is this banana split fluff. Adding fresh fruit to the creamy fluff adds a fun burst of flavor and freshness to the dish. Since we had an extra box of strawberries in the fridge, I changed things up and added them to a strawberry fluff.
With its light pink color, smooth texture, and delicious taste, this shortcake salad will have you coming back for another scoop. Your summer parties will never be the same again when you serve this strawberry fluff salad!
- Ready in minutes. You can have a bowl of this creamy goodness chilling in your fridge in under 10 minutes. All you need are just 6 simple ingredients.
- Fun pink color. A pretty pink hue and the bright red berries makes the salad stand out on any table.
- Light and refreshing. It is a no bake dessert option, which makes it great during the hot months. The cool texture paired with the juicy strawberries tastes so good on a warm summer day.
- Great side dish for get togethers. This strawberry pudding dessert is a delicious choice to bring to summer picnics or parties. The sweet flavor pairs well with savory options such as burgers, grilled chicken, or pulled pork.
What is a fluff salad?
This dessert salad is a combination of instant pudding, Cool Whip, and different mix-ins all in one bowl. Crushed pineapple, nuts, marshmallows, cherries, or chocolate chips are all different ways to change up the dish.
In just 10 minutes you can have big bowl of this strawberry shortcake fluff salad chilling in your fridge. All you need are these 6 simple ingredients.
- Instant Strawberry Pudding Mix - I usually find this flavored pudding mix at Walmart. If you can't find it, use an instant white chocolate or vanilla pudding mix.
- Milk - Whole milk or 2% milk works best when making instant pudding.
- Cool Whip - The creamy whipped topping is what gives the pudding a fluffy texture. Substitute 3 cups of this homemade whipped cream, if you prefer that instead.
- Mini Marshmallows - This sweet ingredient adds a great texture to the chilled salad once they soften. They are optional, so you can leave them out if you like.
- Strawberries - Feel free to use more fresh strawberries. It's delicious with twice the amount of fruit too.
- Angel Food Cake - Cut the cake into small bite-sized cubes before adding it to the mixture. You will only need about ½ a cake to get 3 cups of cubes.
BruCrew Tip: Use the leftover cake to make these peach cheesecake pie parfaits too.
How to make Strawberry Fluff Salad
The best part about this strawberry fluff recipe is how easy it is to prepare. Stir everything into a big bowl and you are done in 10 minutes.
- Slice the fresh strawberries and cut half an angel food cake into chunks. Set these aside.
- Whisk together the instant strawberry pudding mix and milk until it thickens. Fold in the thawed Cool Whip gently.
- Add marshmallows, strawberries, and cake cubes and stir very carefully.
- Refrigerate the bowl of fluff for 1-2 hours for best flavor and texture.
Keep the strawberry fluff in a sealed container in the refrigerator. It will keep for 2-3 days, although it is best if served the day it is made. The berries start to add moisture to the easy dessert salad if it sits too long.
I don't recommend freezing any type of fluff salad because it tends to be watery when it thaws and doesn't have the same consistency.
Tips and Tricks
- Boost the strawberry flavor. Stir strawberry Quik powder into the milk before you make the instant pudding mix. You can also stir a few tablespoons of dry strawberry Jello mix into the pudding.
- Use other pudding mixes. Vanilla and white chocolate pudding mixes will work just as well.
- Give it a cheesecake flavor. Beat a block of softened cream cheese in a bowl, then mix in the strawberry pudding mixture. Sprinkle graham cracker chunks on top right before serving.
- Let it chill. Refrigerate the pudding mixture for a couple of hours to give it time to thicken.
- Make it a pie. Skip the cake cubes and spread the creamy fluff in a graham cracker crust before chilling for a fun twist.
You can use an instant white chocolate or vanilla pudding mix and strawberry milk to get the strawberry flavor. Another thing you can do is to add a few teaspoons of dry strawberry Jello to the pudding mix before stirring in the milk.
Yes. This fluff salad can be made 1 day ahead of time and chilled in the fridge. Just make sure to give it a stir before serving.
We do not recommend using frozen strawberries because they tend to be wet and mushy after thawing. If you add them, they could make your fluff salad very watery.
More Dessert Salads
- S'mores Cheesecake Fluff
- Cookies and Cream Fluff
- Pumpkin Fluff
- Lemon Cheesecake Salad
- Cranberry Fluff Salad
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first published July 2015. The photos and post were updated and May 2023.