The fresh veggies and oil & vinegar dressing in this Veggie Pasta Salad make it a delicious side dish for any dinner. It is an easy pasta salad recipe to bring to any summer picnic or barbecue.
Why Make This Egg Noodle Pasta Salad
I have been making this egg noodle salad for years. It's a recipe that a family friend used to make for church potlucks, and I fell in love after one bite. This salad is great because it can be served as a main or side dish at any get together.
- Loaded with Veggies - The combination of colorful and juicy vegetables adds a delicious flavor and crunch.
- Easy to Customize - You have the freedom to customize it to your preference. Try out different textures, like crunchy vegetables or a creamy dressing. Experiment and make it your own!
- Versatile Dinner - Enjoy it as a side dish, light lunch, or main course. Add grilled chicken or baked parmesan chicken tenders for a more substantial meal.
- Great for Leftovers - Pasta salad often tastes even better the next day as the flavors blend together. Make a large batch and enjoy it as a quick meal all week.
Everyone needs a go-to recipe for picnics and barbecues, and this vegetable pasta salad doesn't disappoint. It is easy to make, full of veggies, and tastes so good.
Vegetarian Pasta Salad Ingredients
With just a few simple ingredients and fresh veggies, this vegetable pasta salad comes together in no time at all.
- Egg Noodles - You can honestly use any pasta that you like, but we always use these wide noodles.
- Vegetables - Our go to mix of veggies for this salad are carrots, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and broccoli. Feel free to change it up and use four of your favorites.
- Chick Peas - Also known as garbanzo beans, they add some protein to the meatless dish. Drain and rinse before adding to the noodles.
- Oil and Vinegar Dressing - Adds a tanginess and enhances the flavor of the salad. To save a little bit of time, I use store bought dressing. You can use a homemade version or Italian dressing, if you prefer.
How to Make Veggie Pasta Salad
This easy veggie pasta salad recipe comes together in 30 minutes. Tossed in a simple dressing and loaded with colorful veggies, this dish is sure to be a hit at any dinner.
- Cook the egg noodles to al dente according to the package directions. Pour into a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. While the pasta is cooking, chop the vegetables.
- Stir together drained noodles, chopped veggies, chick peas, and pasta salad dressing in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
What to Serve with Cold Pasta Salad
The best part about this noodle salad is that it goes with just about anything. We usually serve it with burgers or grilled chicken. Here are a few other things to serve it with.
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Homemade Shrimp Burgers
- Cheese Stuffed Pork Tenderloins
- Buffalo Chicken Salad Sandwich
Let the salad rest in the fridge for a little bit before serving. This gives the pasta time to absorb the dressing and for the flavors to blend together.
Store leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure the noodles are completely cooled before adding the veggies.
- Make a homemade dressing using a mixture of olive oil & vinegar. A good ratio to use is 2 parts oil (⅔ cup) to 1 part vinegar (⅓ cup).
- Use different veggies such as bell peppers, red onion, cauliflower, arugula, spinach, corn, celery, sun dried tomatoes.
- Chop everything into bite sized pieces. This makes the salad easier to eat.
- Make the salad more filling by adding protein, such as grilled chicken, shrimp, tofu, or ham.
- Try other add-ins like olives, feta cheese, mozzarella pearls, grated Parmesan, or nuts for added texture and flavor.
You can choose from a variety of pasta shapes such as rotini, penne, fusilli, or bowtie. Whole wheat or gluten-free pasta options can also be used if you have dietary preferences or restrictions.
This salad is a great make ahead recipe. Combine the egg noodles, vegetables, and half the dressing. Put the mixture into a closed container, and store it in the refrigerator for two to three days. Right before serving mix in the rest of the dressing and season to taste with salt and pepper.
There are several dressings that can be used in a cold pasta salad, depending on personal taste preferences. Some of our favorites to pair with pasta are Italian dressing, honey balsamic dressing, ranch dressing, and pesto sauce. Enjoy experimenting with different ones to find your favorite combination!
More Pasta Salad Recipes
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first published May 2015. It was updated and republished June 2023.