Adding a white chocolate glaze and chocolate drizzles makes this homemade Zebra Brownies recipe a fun treat for lunch boxes or after school snacks.
So, I just can't make plain brownies anymore. Baking all the time has kind of made me into a dessert freak, I think. Add lots of candies and chocolates to all the baking is my motto!
My son has learned that if he wants a brownie with absolutely nothing adding into it or on top of it, he has to take matters into his own hands. Of course, I was more than willing to teach him how to make a box of brownies when he needs that plain boring brownie goodness in his life.
A few weeks ago I was at the grocery store and I saw the new Little Debbie Zebra Brownies on the shelf with all the other snack cakes! My kids love zebra cakes and banana twins, so I just knew they would love the brownies too.
But I decided that my Homemade Chocolate Chip Brownies would make a better base for those fun chocolate stripes, so I decided to make a copycat recipe right then and there.
These fudge brownies come together so quickly, and they really do taste so much better than the boxed or store bought ones.
How to make Zebra Brownies
- Melt butter in a saucepan or microwave and whisk in cocoa powder. I prefer to use dark cocoa powder in almost all of my baking, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Beat the sugar, eggs, and vanilla for a few minutes. You want them to be light and frothy.
- Whisk the melted butter mixture into the eggs and beat again.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spread in a greased pan and bake.
Now you could stop there and eat the homemade brownies, and honestly, my son would tell you that these plain brownies are the best in the world!!
But you know I can't do that, so adding a white chocolate glaze with chocolate drizzles had to happen! I shared these Zebra Brownies with some friends at church, and the pan came home empty. I think it is safe to say they like jazzed up brownies just as much as me!