Adding a thick layer of coconut frosting makes these Nutella Brownies a dreamy summer dessert. The fudgy homemade brownies and coconut topping are sure to get rave reviews from everyone that tries them.
We go through a lot of brownies in our house.
My youngest absolutely loves brownies…plain brownies that is. I tried to sneak chocolate chips in them one time, and he totally called me out and said those weren’t plain.
He actually had me show him how to make a box brownie all by himself. So now, when that brownie craving hits, he can do it all by himself. It’s so cute to watch him in the kitchen making his pan of plain brownies.
Sure I like a good plain brownie every once in a while, but usually I have so many crazy dessert ideas running through my head that plain just isn’t an option. I mean cheesecake brownies, salted caramel brownies, and marshmallow brownies just sort of happen. Yup, brownies always get the fun treatment when I’m baking.
I took these homemade chocolate chip brownies and jazzed them up coconut and Nutella style. That combo always reminds me of our trip to St. Maarten a few years ago. Waking up late, eating coconut Nutella crepes for breakfast, and sending the day on the beach were how we spent every single day there. It was amazing! I think a trip back needs to happen again.
How to make Nutella Brownies:
Using coconut oil instead of butter helps add a little more coconut flavor to the chocolate brownie, and a generous scoop of Nutella swirled in the batter make them even fudgier.
Then to top them off, a thick coconut frosting with lots of shredded coconut is the perfect touch. I do like to under bake my brownies, but you can bake them a few minutes longer to firm them up more if you like.
The frosting and Nutella really help keep them soft and amazing for days! I had to send the rest of the brownies with my hubby to work because I couldn’t stop swiping little bites every time I went in the kitchen!
- 1 cup solid coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup Nutella
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup solid coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Place the coconut oil in a small sauce pan over low heat and stir until melted. Whisk in the cocoa powder. Let cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs until frothy. Add the sugar and extracts and beat again.
- Slowly add the melted coconut oil and chocolate mixture and beat again.
- Stir together the salt, flour, and baking powder. Add to the egg mixture slowly.
- Add the Nutella and stir in gently. Spread the mixture in a greased baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Beat the coconut oil, extracts, and salt until creamy. Slowly add the powdered sugar and whipping cream until everything is mixed in.
- Beat on high until light and fluffy. Spread on the cooled brownies. Top with shredded coconut. Store in a sealed container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 359Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 34gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
More delicious ways to enjoy coconut and chocolate: