These Banana Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies are so soft and delicious. Such a great way to sneak some fruits and veggies into your dessert.
Once upon a time, a long time ago I planted a garden in our backyard. Visions of tomatoes and zucchinis danced in my head, and I couldn’t wait to enjoy the fruits of our labor.
Unfortunately, my black thumb took over and most of the plants didn’t survive the summer. It turns out that when it’s super hot outside, you should probably water your plants more often.
That experience taught me that the farmer’s market and friends that know how to grow gardens are where I need to get my veggies from.
We did end up with a few tomatoes, some jalapeños, and a few zucchinis that I promptly turned into a Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cake. That cake is a must any time we have fresh zucchinis in our house.
One of the other things that I made with the few zucchinis that survived were a few batches of zucchini cookies. I love creating yummy dessert recipes to use up extra zucchini because it really does make baked goods taste so good.
Hopefully you need another zucchini recipe because these cookies are one of the best zucchini desserts you will ever make.
This Zucchini Banana Cake is one of my all time favorite zucchini recipes, so I decided to add those flavors to one of my chocolate chip cookies recipe. The result was the most delicious and puffy banana bread cookie.
If you are looking for a recipe for oatmeal zucchini cookies, look no further because after one bite of these zucchini cookies, you will be in love.
How to make Banana Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies:
- Mix together the butter shortening and sugar until nice and creamy. Using shortening keeps you cookies from spreading too much as they bake.
- Add two eggs to the mixture and mix again.
- Shred some zucchini using the medium sized holes of a grater. Stir the mashed banana and zucchini into the sugar mixture.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients, then slowly mix it in until a soft dough forms. Add the chocolate chips and stir gently.
- Spoon the batter onto a prepared cookie sheet and bake.
- Store the cooled cookies in a loosely sealed container.
What I love most about these cookies, other than how good they taste, is that they freeze well. I made these cookies a week before an event and placed them in the freezer until the night before. Everyone at our life group loved them and had no idea that I had made them ahead of time.
Tips to remember when making Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies:
- Squeeze any excess liquid out of the grated zucchini. As a result of too much extra liquid in the cookie batter it can affect your baked cookies. Just hold handfuls of the grated zucchini in your hand and squeeze it over the sink. Try to get out as much water as you can.
- Do not pack the squeezed zucchini into a measuring cup. You want just enough shredded zucchini in your measuring cups, so do NOT press it in firmly.
- Drop spoonfuls of the cookie batter on a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat. This sheet will keep the cookies from spreading too much. You can also use parchment paper.
- Try to keep the batter in a nice circle when you drop it on the cookie sheet.
- When the cookies come out of the oven, let them sit on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a sheet of parchment.
- Press a few extra chocolate chips into the tops of the warm cookies. It’s not necessary, however it makes the cookies look so pretty. If you want to skip this step, stir all the chocolate chips into the batter before baking.
- These cookies freeze very well. Be sure to place the cookies in a freezer safe container or bag with parchment paper between the layers.
More easy zucchini dessert recipes you may like:
This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake is absolutely delicious. Double the chocolate and frosting make this cake disappear in a hurry.
These Frosted Butterscotch Zucchini Bars + a cup of hot coffee = the best way to start out the day.
Soft Chocolate Zucchini Donuts loaded with three kinds of chocolate are a delicious way to eat your “greens” for breakfast.
A loaf of the best Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is a delicious way to use up the extra zucchinis that are growing in your gardens.
Three times the chocolate makes this Ultimate Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake a decadent and fun way to eat your greens.
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Be sure to follow us on our social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 3/4 cup butter shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups grated zucchini, squeezed dry
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 medium)
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- Beat the shortening and sugars until creamy. Add the eggs and mix again. Stir in the zucchini and banana.
- Stir together the dry ingredients and add it slowly to the butter mixture until everything is mixed in.
- Stir in 1 3/4 cups chocolate chips gently.
- Drop by spoonfuls the prepared baking sheet. Make sure to leave at least two inches between each cookie. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes before removing and placing on wax paper.
- Press a few of the reserved chocolate chips into the tops of the hot cookies. Cool completely. Store in a sealed container.
*These cookies freeze really well. Place them in a freezer safe container or bag with a layer of parchment between the cookie layers. Remove from the freezer and bring to room temperature before serving.
- Calphalon Nonstick Bakeware, Baking Sheet, 12-inch by 17-inch
- Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8" x 16-1/2"
- OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Flexible Turner, Medium
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 213 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 162mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 17g Protein: 3g
(original photo from July 2010)
*The post for Banana Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies was first published on July 13, 2010. The recipe and photos have been updated, and it was republished on August 5, 2019.