This Zucchini Banana Cake is loaded with fruits and veggies. A layer of caramel frosting makes it an awesome way to eat green veggies.
Drop everything and run to the garden to grab a few of those green veggies that are taking over. Why? Because you need this cake in your life right away!!
Well, if you are gardening challenged like me, go ahead and run to the store to buy a few zucchinis. Thank goodness for farmers, right?
After making this Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread the other day, I still had leftover shredded zucchini, so I did what any normal person would do. I headed back to the kitchen to bake something else.
It’s not normal for me to get stumped on making something dessert related. Let’s blame it on trying to eat extra healthy for a few days. Maybe it’s the lack of sugar in my system?
Finally, after thinking about it for a little while, I decided we needed some sort of cake. Last year I made this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake that was so good, so I tweaked the recipe to make another version.
Usually I am all for getting all the chocolate into anything I bake, but this time I left that out and added some banana.
Holy freaking cow!!! I about died after taking one bite of cake. It was so good! I am officially calling this the best zucchini recipe I have ever made!
Ok, so that might be a little presumptuous to call this Zucchini Banana Cake the best, but trust me! Just make the cake and take a bite! You won’t be able to stop!
The soft homemade zucchini cake with a creamy caramel frosting is not something you can resist for very long.
But don’t take my word for it. Our oldest devoured an entire row of this cake in one afternoon. I think it’s safe to say he likes it! This cake keeps gets better the longer it sits. Three days later and we are still finding reasons to eat more. I say it “recipe testing”, and our son says it’s because he is a growing teenager.
Can this cake be part of my healthy eating since it has fruit and veggies in it? Ok, ok, so maybe I would be better off eating these Fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Brownies instead.
How to make a Zucchini Banana Cake:
- Beat the melted butter and sugars until it resembles a coarse “sand”.
- Add the banana, sour cream, egg, and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and the shredded zucchini.
- Pour into a greased pan and bake.
Whip together the frosting ingredients and spread it on top of the cooled cake. Store the cake in a covered container. That is if you have any left.
More zucchini recipes you will love:
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Frosted Butterscotch Zucchini Bars
- Ultimate Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake
- Pineapple Zucchini Sheet Cake
- Banana Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
For the Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
For the Frosting
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup marshmallow cream
- 1/4 cup salted caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Beat the butter and sugars until mixed together. Add the banana, sour cream, egg, and vanilla and mix again.Stir in the zucchini.
- Stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Slowly add the dry ingredients and beat until mixed together.
- Spread in the prepared pan. Bake for 35-37 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
- Remove and let cool completely.
- Beat the butter until creamy. Add the marshmallow cream, caramel topping, salt, and cinnamon and beat again.
- Add the powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream alternately until everything is mixed in. Beat on medium high until light and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cooled cake. Cut into 24 squares. Store in a sealed container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 204mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.