Enjoy a double dose of chocolate in this rich and delicious easy chocolate cake recipe. This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake is made with shredded zucchini and lots of chocolate chips. Double the chocolate and a layer of frosting makes this zucchini cake disappear in a hurry.
Why we Love this Cake
I love adding things to chocolate cake. Certain things enhance the chocolate flavor and provide amazing texture to the cake. If you haven't tried it yet then you don't know what you are missing. These espresso brownies or this Dr Pepper cake are 2 examples of adding coffee or soda to chocolate to make them dynamite.
How do you feel about chocolate covered veggies? Sure we love eating zucchini in savory dinner recipes, but I absolutely love using zucchini in chocolate baked goods. The shredded zucchini adds so much moisture and makes chocolate desserts so fudgy and delicious.
I changed up the ingredients in this chocolate zucchini cake because I wanted a fluffier zucchini cake. There are 2 whole cups of shredded zucchini in this cake giving it such a decadent and moist texture. It has such a great chocolate flavor.
A creamy marshmallow cream cheese frosting makes this chocolate chip zucchini cake so rich and delicious. You are going to love it!
This chocolate zucchini cake with chocolate chips calls for ingredients from your pantry and fresh summer zucchini. The added sour cream provides extra moisture, so the cake bakes up fluffy yet moist.
For the Chocolate Cake
- Butter - Unsalted and softened.
- Sugars - A mixture of granulated sugar and brown sugar sweetens the cake.
- Sour Cream - Gives the cake a moist fluffy texture.
- Egg - Binds everything together and adds moisture to the cake batter.
- Zucchini - 2 small-medium sized and shredded using a small grater.
- Flour - Adds structure to the cake batter.
- Cocoa Powder - I like to use a dark cocoa powder because of the flavor and the dark color it gives it. Regular cocoa powder can be used too.
- Baking Soda - Reacts with the sour cream to provide the lift needed when baking.
- Vanilla Extract & Salt - Adds flavor and balances out the sweetness.
- Miniature Chocolate Chips - Adding chocolate chips in the batter and on top of the finished cake gives it so much chocolate flavor.
For the Frosting
- Cream Cheese - ½ block softened ahead of time.
- Butter - Unsalted and softened.
- Vanilla Extract & Salt - Adds flavor and balances the sugar.
- Marshmallow Cream - Gives the frosting a fluffy texture.
- Powdered Sugar - Sweetens and thickens the frosting.
- Heavy Whipping Cream - Makes the frosting light and fluffy.
How to make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
The batter for this double chocolate zucchini cake comes together so easily with a bowl and a mixer. It's a delicious and easy way to enjoy those summer greens.
Step One: Make the Cake
- Preheat oven and spray a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Mix together the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl until creamy.
- Shred the zucchini using a box grater.
- Add the sour cream, egg, vanilla, and shredded zucchini to the butter mixture and mix again.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until the batter comes together.
- Add the miniature chocolate chips and stir gently.
- Spread the chocolate cake batter in the greased pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
- Let the chocolate zucchini cake cool completely.
Step Two: Make the Frosting
- Beat the butter, salt, and vanilla until creamy.
- Add the marshmallow cream and heavy cream and mix again.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar.
- Beat the frosting for 1-2 minutes on high or until light and fluffy.
BRUCREW TIP: Use this dark chocolate frosting to make this a triple chocolate zucchini cake.
Step Three: Frost the Cake
- Spread the marshmallow frosting on the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you need to peel the zucchini for this recipe?
No, you can shred the zucchini with the peels on. No one will even know there is a veggie in this chocolate cake.
Does this cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes, there is cream cheese in the frosting so, you need to refrigerate this chocolate zucchini cake. Honestly, I preferred this zucchini cake cold from the fridge. If you do not like cold cake, let it sit out on the counter for a little bit before serving it.
Can this chocolate chip zucchini cake be frozen?
Yes. Make sure you let the cake cool completely. Then wrap the unfrosted cake tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil. Place in a sealed container and freeze for 2-3 months.
To serve, thaw the cake in the refrigerator overnight. Add the frosting right before serving.
Other Chocolate Zucchini Recipes
- Zucchini Brownie recipe
- Best Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake
- Zucchini Cream Cheese Muffins
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Donuts
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
It is such a big deal when they are done with elementary school! It always surprises me how soon kids go back to school in other areas of the country, because here, it's not till after Labor Day-except for us, because I refuse to start until October-which is actually perfect because we're going on a family vacation that first week. And I'm with you, chocolate and zucchini are a magical combo.
I remember as a kid, we never started school before Labor Day, but I think my kids have always started in August here in the midwest. Crazy how that changes.
I'm not really ready to say goodbye to summer yet, but I am TOTALLY ready to make this cake! LOVING that frosting too, holy moly!
I wasn't totally ready, but now that the house is quiet...I'm loving it again!!!! And yes, girl, that frosting was amazing! I hope you enjoy the cake!!!
Trish - Mom On Timeout
I've got a few years yet before middle school but I'm already anxious. I think I will soothe my nerves with this gorgeous cake - zucchini never looked so good!
Cake is definitely good for stress and anxiety...not so much for the jeans. But cake always wins!!!
Elle @ Only Taste Matters
I love the idea of all that chocolate. Can't wait to try it! Pinned!
Thank you so much for the pin love, Elle!!! 🙂
OOPS, recipe correction needed...
Need to add into instructions on #4... 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla
Whoops! Thank you for catching that! I just updated the recipe and added the vanilla in the frosting directions!!! I hope you enjoy the cake!
thx for your quick response and correcting the recipe 🙂
This cake look so delicious and rich! It looks so perfectly moist and marshmallow cream cheese frosting?? Yum! I can't wait to try this one!
Thank you so much! And yes, that frosting was the perfect addition to keeping it moist. I hope you love it as much as we did!
Anna @ Sunny Side Ups
It's crazy how fast this summer has flown by! Good luck to your fam in this new school year!! As a fellow zucchini + chocolate addict, I can't tell you how much I'm loving all these yummy recipes! This cake looks insanely delicious, especially with all that fluffy frosting! 🙂 Pinned!
I still can't believe summer is over...although I'm loving the quiet house during the day now!!! Glad I'm not alone in loving all the chocolate and zucchini goodness this year!!! Thank you so much for the pin love!
Tonia from TheGunnySack
I need to see if I can talk my SIL into giving me some of her zucchini! This looks fantastic!
I sure hope you were able to find more zucchini. There are so many yummy recipes for the green veggie floating around here!!!
Averie @ Averie Cooks
I just posted a choc chip zucchini cake today, too! But it's not solid chocolate like yours, which looks amazing! I love baking with zuke and I bet that frosting on your cake just makes it taste that much more delish!
Girl, that frosting was seriously killer. It totally added so much to the cake. And I can't wait to check out that awesome zucchini cake of yours!!!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction
I love adding zucchini to chocolate desserts! This looks great!
Thank you, Jessica! Zucchini is so fun to bake sweet treats with!
Karen @ The Food Charlatan
Middle school, ahh scary!! My kids are still little but I know I will be in your shoes way too fast. Cue 3 slices of this cake please 🙂 🙂
Yes, bring on the BIG slices of cake, so I can deal with knowing my kiddos are getting older!
Cynthia/ What A Girl Eats
Wow! You'd never suspect there's zucchini in that gorgeous cake!
I know, right? My kids didn't even know I had added it! Gotta love that!!!
Same thing happened to me, Jocelyn! Gotta love preeclampsia. One of the possible joys of childbirth...
This cake looks magnificent. Perfect for celebrating your kids' last weekend of freedom!
Yes, the joys of children are endless, aren't they? LOL!
Jen | Baked by an Introvert
I have zucchini for days so this is perfect! I love how dark and chocolatey the cake is!!
Yay for tons of zucchini to bake yummy treats with!!!
Kelly - Life Made Sweeter
I can't believe how soon school is starting already too. A slice of this would definitely help make things easier! Love that we can sneak some greens in here without the kiddos and the husbands suspecting 🙂 It looks so soft, chocolatey and delicious!
It's crazy how fast summer went this year, and now we are back to school and sports stuff. Gotta love a recipe where you can hide healthy goodness under a layer of chocolate and frosting, right?
Medha @ Whisk & Shout
This is a great way to hide zucchini for kids- it looks so delicious and totally chocolatey!
My kids didn't even know I had added zucchini to this cake. It's a great way to hide veggies from kiddos!
Aimee @ ShugarySweets
I'm obsessed with zucchini recipes right now as my garden has never had so many!! I've made 10 loaves of bread, 4 dozen muffins, a batch of brownies, two cakes and some savory dishes all with zucchini the past two weeks. And now I want this cake too. I hear ya on the middle school thing, as our "Babies" are the same age. Although I'm so not looking forward to school starting!!!
I am so glad I am not alone in the zucchini obsession this year! LOL! We are such baking twins!