Enjoy a double dose of chocolate in this rich and delicious easy chocolate cake recipe. This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake is made with shredded zucchini and lots of chocolate chips. Double the chocolate and a layer of frosting makes this zucchini cake disappear in a hurry.
Why we Love this Cake
How do you feel about chocolate covered veggies? Sure we love eating zucchini in savory dinner recipes, but I absolutely love using zucchini in chocolate baked goods. The shredded zucchini adds so much moisture and makes chocolate desserts so fudgy and delicious.
I changed up the ingredients in this chocolate zucchini cake because I wanted a fluffier zucchini cake. There are 2 whole cups of shredded zucchini in this cake giving it such a decadent and moist texture. It has such a great chocolate flavor.
A creamy marshmallow cream cheese frosting makes this chocolate chip zucchini cake so rich and delicious. You are going to love it!
This chocolate zucchini cake with chocolate chips calls for ingredients from your pantry and fresh summer zucchini. The added sour cream provides extra moisture, so the cake bakes up fluffy yet moist.
For the Chocolate Cake
- Butter - Unsalted and softened.
- Sugars - A mixture of granulated sugar and brown sugar sweetens the cake.
- Sour Cream - Gives the cake a moist fluffy texture.
- Egg - Binds everything together and adds moisture to the cake batter.
- Zucchini - 2 small-medium sized and shredded using a small grater.
- Flour - Adds structure to the cake batter.
- Cocoa Powder - I like to use a dark cocoa powder because of the flavor and the dark color it gives it. Regular cocoa powder can be used too.
- Baking Soda - Reacts with the sour cream to provide the lift needed when baking.
- Vanilla Extract & Salt - Adds flavor and balances out the sweetness.
- Miniature Chocolate Chips - Adding chocolate chips in the batter and on top of the finished cake gives it so much chocolate flavor.
For the Frosting
- Cream Cheese - ½ block softened ahead of time.
- Butter - Unsalted and softened.
- Vanilla Extract & Salt - Adds flavor and balances the sugar.
- Marshmallow Cream - Gives the frosting a fluffy texture.
- Powdered Sugar - Sweetens and thickens the frosting.
- Heavy Whipping Cream - Makes the frosting light and fluffy.
How to make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
The batter for this double chocolate zucchini cake comes together so easily with a bowl and a mixer. It's a delicious and easy way to enjoy those summer greens.
Step One: Make the Cake
- Preheat oven and spray a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Mix together the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl until creamy.
- Shred the zucchini using a box grater.
- Add the sour cream, egg, vanilla, and shredded zucchini to the butter mixture and mix again.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until the batter comes together.
- Add the miniature chocolate chips and stir gently.
- Spread the chocolate cake batter in the greased pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
- Let the chocolate zucchini cake cool completely.
Step Two: Make the Frosting
- Beat the butter, salt, and vanilla until creamy.
- Add the marshmallow cream and heavy cream and mix again.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar.
- Beat the frosting for 1-2 minutes on high or until light and fluffy.
BRUCREW TIP: Use this dark chocolate frosting to make this a triple chocolate zucchini cake.
Step Three: Frost the Cake
- Spread the marshmallow frosting on the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you need to peel the zucchini for this recipe?
No, you can shred the zucchini with the peels on. No one will even know there is a veggie in this chocolate cake.
Does this cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes, there is cream cheese in the frosting so, you need to refrigerate this chocolate zucchini cake. Honestly, I preferred this zucchini cake cold from the fridge. If you do not like cold cake, let it sit out on the counter for a little bit before serving it.
Can this chocolate chip zucchini cake be frozen?
Yes. Make sure you let the cake cool completely. Then wrap the unfrosted cake tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil. Place in a sealed container and freeze for 2-3 months.
To serve, thaw the cake in the refrigerator overnight. Add the frosting right before serving.
Other Chocolate Zucchini Recipes
- Zucchini Brownie recipe
- Best Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake
- Zucchini Cream Cheese Muffins
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Donuts
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.