A bowl of creamy Orange Fluff comes together in less than 5 minutes. This 5 ingredient Jello salad recipe is fluffy, refreshing, and perfect to be served as a dessert or side dish at any meal.
Why we love Jello Salad
There are certain dishes that bring up fond memories from the past. One of those dishes for me is Jello fluff salad. I remember my great aunt making this cottage cheese Jello salad when I was little.
This easy 5 ingredient salad makes an easy and light side dish that is absolutely delicious during the hot summer months. I couldn’t wait to dig into the orange fluff after it had chilled for a few hours.
One bite and I instantly was reminded of dinner at my aunt’s house. This sweet orange fluff Jello salad is definitely going to be on repeat this summer because it is so easy to make and tastes so good. It is a crowd favorite for picnics and potlucks.
What is Jello Salad?
A Jello salad is a mixture of pudding or gelatin, cheese, fruit, and Cool Whip in one bowl. These creamy fluff salads are popular side dishes at church potlucks and barbecues.
The addition of marshmallows and Cool Whip makes the dessert salad light and fluffy.
What You’ll Need
This Jello salad dessert only has five ingredients in it. The best part about this orange fluff is that you can use sugar free ingredients to make a lighter option.
- Orange Jello – use one small box of the dry gelatin powder.
- Mandarin Oranges – make sure to drain the liquid from the oranges very well
- Cottage Cheese – the secret ingredient in this fluff salad gives it flavor and texture
- Cool Whip – gives the orange fluff salad the “fluff”. If you prefer, you can use 3 cups of this Homemade Whipped Cream recipe instead.
- Mini Marshmallows – they are optional, but I love the sweet texture they add.
How to make Orange Fluff
Everything in this orange Jello fluff comes together in less than 5 minutes. It is really as easy as opening packages and stirring them all together. It does need to be refrigerated for a few hours, so the Jello has time to dissolve, and s0 everything can set.
- Mix together the drained oranges, cottage cheese, and dry Jello powder.
- Add the Cool Whip and fold it in gently until no white streaks appear.
- Stir in mini marshmallows and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Top the orange Jello salad with additional oranges and marshmallows right before serving.
- Do not pre-make the Jello. This recipe calls for just the dry powder.
- Use a small curd cottage cheese for the best texture. Large works too, but will have a larger texture.
- Refrigerate the fluff salad for a few hours before serving for best results.
- Use a different flavor of Jello and different fruit to change up the fluff salad.
How to Store Fluff Salad
Refrigerate the orange creamsicle fluff immediately after making it. The Jello salad will keep for 1-2 days in a tightly sealed container in the fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make this orange fluff salad ahead of time?
Yes, the salad needs time to set up, so it is a great recipe to make a few hours ahead of time. The orange fluff is best served the day it is made, but you can make it up to 24 hours ahead of time, if needed. It may get extra moisture in it if it sits for a while, so stir it before serving.
Do you have to use cottage cheese?
No, I realize that this ingredient may deter some from making this fluff salad. Trust me, it really is delicious and doesn’t taste like cottage cheese. The cottage cheese is what gives this orange fluff the unique flavor and taste. You can also use Greek yogurt or cream cheese, if you prefer.
What do you serve with a Jello salad?
This easy Jello fluff salad is a delicious recipe that works well as a dessert or side dish for barbecues, picnics, holiday dinners, or summer meals.
More Dessert Salads
- Banana Split Fluff Salad
- Strawberry Fluff Salad
- Cookies and Cream Fluff
- Chocolate Fluff
- S’mores Cheesecake Fluff
- Lemon Cheesecake Salad
- Pumpkin Fluff
When you make a recipe from Inside BruCrew Life, don’t forget to leave a comment and rate the recipe below. Follow us on our social media, and tag your photos #brucrewlife @brucrewlife !
I also created a Facebook group and would love for you to join. Share recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. Request to join HERE.
- 1 - 15 ounce can mandarin oranges, well drained
- 1 - 3.4 ounce box orange Jello
- 1 - 16 ounce container cottage cheese (small curd is best)
- 1 - 8 ounce container Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Stir together the drained oranges, cottage cheese, and dry Jello powder.
- Fold in the Cool Whip until no white streaks remain.
- Add the marshmallows and stir in gently.
- Refrigerate 3-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 186mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 6g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.