Birds Nest Cookies are an easy, no bake dessert that can be made in 5 minutes, with only 4 ingredients. They are kid-friendly and perfect for Easter.
This is pretty much one of the easiest Easter desserts that you can make. These no bake cookies can be made in minutes, and they look absolutely adorable.
I'm all for making desserts that take time and look impressive like this strawberry mousse cake, but most of the time I prefer treats that are simple to make like these Easter rice krispies treats or these Oreo bunnies.
One treat that our kids always enjoyed were these cute little birds nest cookies. It's an easy no bake cookie that they loved helping me make, or maybe they were just there for the extra candy eggs...
Why Make Nest Cookies for Easter
- Quick and Easy - The no bake cookies can literally be made in just a few minutes.
- Sweet and Salty - Perfect balance of sweet and salty from the chocolate and noodles.
- Fun Easter treat - They look just like a little bird nest filled with colorful eggs. Plus, they taste just as good as they look!
Chocolate peanut butter no bake cookies are are a fun treat to make for Easter. But don't limit them to the spring holiday. They are so delicious that you will want to make them for every event.
What is a Birds Nest Cookie?
It a simple no bake cookie made from chocolate, peanut butter, and chow Mein noodles. The mixture is formed to look like a bird's nest and filled with little candy eggs.
These little chocolate nests come together so quickly with just 4 simple ingredients. Get ready to enjoy the sweet crunch of a candy nest.
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chips - For this recipe I used a bag of milk chocolate chips and a bag of peanut butter chips to give them a Reese's flavor. You can use all chocolate, or for the traditional recipe use chocolate and butterscotch chips.
- Chow Mein Noodles - These little light and crunchy noodles look like branches when coated in chocolate. You can these crunchy noodles in the Asian area of your grocery store. They add such a delicious salty crunch to the no bake cookies.
- Candy Eggs - Since these were chocolate peanut butter nests, I used a bag of Reese's eggs, but any candy egg will work to look like "birds eggs".
How to make Bird's Nest Cookies
One of the best things about cookies nests is how easy they are to make. With just 4 ingredients and 5 minutes, you can have a batch chilling on your counter.
- Melt the chocolate. Place your choice of chocolate chips in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat at 50% power for 1 minute. Stir, then continue heating for 30-second intervals, until melted and creamy.
- Add a mix-in. Add a bag of chow mein noodles (or other base) and stir until completely coated.
- Shape into nests. Use a large spoon to scoop mounds onto a wax paper lined tray. Make an indent in the center of each one.
- Add eggs. Press three candies into the center of each cookie. Let the cookies set before moving.
Countertop - Store the candy bird nests in an air tight container at room temperature for a few days.
Refrigerator - You can also refrigerate them, but make sure you let them come to room temperature before serving for the best flavor.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure your tray is lined with foil, parchment, or wax paper. This will help you remove the no bake cookies easily once they set up.
- Use a clean dry bowl to melt the chocolate chips in. Do not let any water get in the bowl. Water will make the chocolate seize and harden and make it useless for the cookies.
- Want larger nests? Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop the mixture into muffin tins. Use the back of a spoon or cup to make a small indent for the candies.
- Make a gluten free version by using oats and chocolate covered almonds.
- Serve with your favorite marshmallow Peeps.
Variations of Birds Nest Cookies
These Easter nest cookies can be made in a variety of different ways. Choose one from each section and change it up every time you make them. The options are endless.
- 1 Base - chow Mein noodles, corn flakes, rice Krispies cereal, pretzel sticks, potato chip sticks, or toasted coconut
- 2 bags Chocolate - semi sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, or white chocolate chips
- 1 bag candy for the topping - Chocolate eggs, malt ball eggs, jelly beans, Cadbury mini eggs, peanut butter eggs, or Jordan almonds
Yes, just wrap them in a freezer safe package for up to 2 months. Just keep in mind the chocolate may discolor when frozen, and the noodles might be less crispy when thawed.
If you have a peanut allergy or just don't like peanut butter, simply change out the peanut butter chips with some other flavor. Butterscotch chips are the original chips for bird nest cookies.
Other Easter Dessert Recipes
- Peanut Butter Bunnies
- Easter Snack Mix
- Easter Popcorn
- Oreo Chicks
- Easter Bark
- Easter Dirt Cupcakes
- Layered Peeps Rice Krispie Treats
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*This post was first published April 2020. It was updated March 2023.
I have been trying to log in without success. They say my email is already registered, but when I put in my password, they say it is wrong. How can I change my password and be able to e\get into my account..
What are you trying to log in too?