Chicken Ole is a delicious Mexican lasagna dinner that is layered with a cheesy chicken mixture, corn tortillas, and your choice of toppings. This chicken dinner will be sure to spice up your family’s mealtime!
Tired of the same old dinner options? Our chicken ole casserole recipe is the perfect meal to make when you want comfort food. The cheesy layers are are creamy and delicious.
You can even prep everything ahead of time, so all you have to do is pop it in the oven when you get home from work.
This dish is quick and easy to put together. But don’t be fooled by how simple this corn tortilla lasagna is. It is loaded with flavor and cheesy goodness without all the stress.
What Makes this Dinner Amazing
We guarantee that once your family tastes this cheesy chicken dish they will ask for seconds. This Mexican lasagna will be on your weekly rotation before you know it, and here’s why…
- No special cooking skills required.
- Cheesy goodness in every bite.
- Makes enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
With just a few simple ingredients you can make this easy chicken dinner for your family tonight. Everyone will be impressed with how quick and tasty this meal is.
- Chicken – Any shredded cooked chicken will work. We like to cook chicken breasts in a crockpot and then shred it for meals. Another easy option is to buy a rotisserie chicken from the store.
- Canned Soup – This casserole uses cream of mushroom and cream of chicken for the creamy layer.
- Chicken Broth – Thins out the condensed soup and softens the tortillas.
- Tomatoes – Canned tomatoes with green chiles adds color and flavor. If you want to cut down on the spicy flavor, use regular diced tomatoes.
- Green Chiles – Adds a subtle spice to the dish. You can control the amount of heat in the recipe by choosing mild, hot, or fire roasted. Hatch green chiles are also great.
- Onion – Gives more flavor to the casserole.
- Cheese – We like using cheddar cheese in our casserole. You can also use a Mexican blend. For best melting results, buy a block of cheese and grate it yourself.
- Corn Tortillas – You can use white or yellow corn tortillas for the layers. These sturdy tortillas hold up well in a casserole, but they do need softened.
How to Make Chicken Ole
The best part about this chicken ole is how simple the dish is to make. There are no complicated steps or difficult instructions involved. Just grab your ingredients, follow our directions, and enjoy a delicious meal.
Mix together the shredded chicken, soups, tomatoes, green chiles, and onions in a large bowl.
Warm the corn tortillas in the microwave and cut into quarters.
Place a layer of tortillas in the bottom of a greased baking dish. Spoon half the chicken broth over them.
Spoon half the chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle with cheese. Repeat the layers.
Bake until melted and bubbly. Broil for the last few minutes of baking time.
Make it a Full Meal
This chicken casserole is amazing by itself, but you can add a few other sides to make it even more delicious.
- Rice and Beans or this Easy Cauliflower Rice
- Easy Homemade Salsa with chips
- Side Salad
- Candy Apple Nachos
- Cinnamon Cookies
Storing and Freezing Chicken Ole
Chicken ole will keep in the fridge for about 4-5 days, if tightly covered. Reheat in a warm oven or in the microwave.
This lasagna style dish also freezes well. To freeze, cool the baked casserole completely. You can either wrap the entire casserole or individual slices in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze for 2-3 months.
To serve, thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
- Looking for more of a green chile flavor? Skip the tomatoes and use 2 cans of the diced green chiles in the chicken filling.
- Substitute flour tortillas or crushed Doritos for the corn tortilla layer. If you are doing this, skip the extra chicken broth.
- Use a rotisserie chicken to save time putting together the ingredients.
- Keep a bag of frozen chopped onions in your freezer. No teary chopping and saves time when it comes to recipe prep.
- Have fun with the toppings. Set out bowls of sour cream, tomatoes, avocados, cilantro, guacamole, green onions and let everyone pile their favorites on top.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can this be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble it ahead of time, refrigerate, and bake it before serving. Make sure to remove it from the refrigerator 30 minutes before placing in the preheated oven or add an additional 15 minutes if baking direct from the fridge.
Can it be made in a crock pot?
It sure can. Layer everything in a crock pot and forget about it. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
More Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Easy Chicken Enchilada recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Monterey Chicken Enchiladas
- Nacho Cheese Casserole
- Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken Pasta Bake recipe
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
- 4 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 - 4 ounce can chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 - 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 - 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 - 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 package corn tortillas (you will use 20)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (12 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 dish with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, chilies, tomatoes, 1 cup broth, soups, and onion; set aside.
- Warm 10 tortillas in the microwave. Cut into wedges.
- Layer the tortillas on the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan. Spoon 1/2 cup of broth over the tortillas. You don’t want to soak them, just a little to soften them up.
- Top with 1/2 the chicken mixture and sprinkle with 1/2 the cheese.
- Repeat layers, starting with 10 more tortillas warmed and cut in quarters. Spoon the remaining 1/2 cup of broth over the tortilla layer, then add the chicken mixture and cheese. Cover with foil that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes. Broil for the last 2-3 minutes of the cooking time. Let sit 10-15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 654mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Chicken Ole was first published March 2011. The post and photos were updated and republished September 2021.