These loaded Chicken Enchiladas are an easy meal to have on the dinner table after a busy day. Prepping ingredients the night before means dinner can be ready quicker the next day.
(pictures updated June 2017)
How many of you use your slow cookers all year round? I wish I could say my hand was up with all of you. No, I tend to only pull mine out during the winter months.
But really the summer is the time I should be using it the most. On hot summer days when I know we are going to be spending the day at the pool, I need to be better at putting a meal in that morning. Because when I get home from the pool, the only thing I feel like making is cereal and milk.
Luckily, my family loves cereal for dinner, so they don’t mind those days. It just can’t be every single one.
I was very excited to get the chance to review this Ninja Cooking System. Let’s talk about this cooker and how extremely cool it is. It roasts, slow cooks, steams, sears, and it BAKES! Yes, you read that right. This cooker bakes too…it came with the cutest little muffin pan that goes inside it. Cute baby muffins will be happening soon!
Oh, and the inside of the cooker is non-stick, so whatever you choose to make in it will wipe clean in a hurry.
Today’s recipe is for Chicken Enchiladas. I bought a whole chicken with every intention of slow cooking it, but then I forgot to put it in that afternoon. Imagine that…me, forget about real food. Not a shocker is it? I was probably too busy thinking of things like Reese’s Rocky Road Brownies or Banana Split Cheesecake.
So at about 10 pm that night, I remember that I need to cook the chicken, so we can have a real dinner the next night. At this time of night I didn’t want to be up for 3-4 hours waiting on a slow cooker. That’s what is so great about this cooker…I can choose which option I want to use to cook the meat. I put the chicken in the pan and seasoned it before turning on the oven feature. Our house was filled with the smell of cooked chicken in just over an hour. And my kitchen was still cool, even though it was hot outside.
I pulled the meat off the bones, and placed it in my mixer to shred the meat. Have you tried doing that before? It’s a fun little trick I saw on pinterest, and I love it. Your mixer does all the work of shredding for you…just make sure the meat is still hot. It works best that way. You will use half the chicken for these enchiladas and then you will have more to make these bbq chicken and avocado quesadillas later.
Since the chicken was already cooked and shredded, dinner prep was so much easier today. All I had to do was mix the chicken and veggies and make the green sauce that goes over the enchiladas.
The sauce is another easy thing to make. Pour it all into the blender and pulse. I also realized that I used my Ninja blender to whip up this yummy green sauce. We are definitely becoming quite the Ninja loving family. No, they did not pay me to promote them. I just really love their products.
I also love that the sauce matches my kitchen walls. Nice.
I have been wanting to try out this enchilada recipe for a while. I have been reading a new Bible study book, and I found this recipe in there. With just a few adaptations it is definitely one that we will be making again and again.
The chicken and veggie filling is simple, but delicious. I did add some extra veggies to make it a little bit more filling.
My family gave these the thumbs up. Now I need to find some more meals this easy to make because I am really starting to get used to this dinner thing.
Looking for more chicken dinners that you can prepare for your family? You are going to love these recipes from some of my friends. I love how easy this Bang Bang Chicken is to prepare. My family is going to love that sauce. And this Oven Baked Crispy Chicken is a must make for sure. Less mess and little cleanup sounds like the perfect way to do a meal! Using leftover chicken for these BBQ Chicken Tostadas is definitely going to happen too! Love that drizzle of sauce on top!
(original photo from July 2013)
Stay up to date on all the BruCrew baking:
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 - 15 ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 - 15 ounce can corn, drained
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- salt & pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/3 cup packed chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 8 - 10 inch flour tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, taco sauce, and 1/2 cup cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, cilantro, sour cream, cumin, and pepper in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat the butter in a skillet until melted. Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the other 1 1/2 cups of broth. Bring to boil and cook 1 minute. Add to the mixture in the blender and pulse.
- Pour 1/2 cup sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Lay out all the tortillas. Divide the chicken mixture onto each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in the pan.
- Pour the green sauce on top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top evenly. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes. Serve warm with sour cream, tomatoes, avocados, and cilantro, if desired.
Recipe has been adapted from one found in The Living Room Series: Ruth: Loss, Love, & Legacy
- Ninja Blender/Food Processor with 450-Watt Base, 48oz Pitcher, 16oz Chopper Bowl, and 40oz Processor Bowl for Shakes, Smoothies, and Meal Prep (QB1004)
- Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inch
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 561 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 90mg Sodium: 1435mg Carbohydrates: 54g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 5g Protein: 33g
*Ninja Kitchen provided Inside BruCrew Life with a cooking system to review. No other payment was received. All opinions are 100% my own.
**This post contains an affiliate link. Inside BruCrew Life may receive a small percentage from sales made through these free links. As always, these do not cost you any extra. Thank you for letting use share products we love and use this way.