Two times the chocolate makes this Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread disappear in a hurry. No one will ever know you are hiding a green veggie inside this decadent bread.
Every summer about this time of year I get excited to bake or cook with zucchini. I wish I had a green thumb and could grow a garden because I know I could find so many ways to eat that green veggie.
Believe me, I know zucchinis grow like crazy if you plant them in the sun. But somehow every time I have tried to have a garden, ours have flopped. We got maybe 3-4 off of them.
That could be because I’m notorious for forgetting to water the plants. It’s that black thumb condition that I have. Trust me, I know plants that we bring home know instantly that they are going to die in our home. My motto should be: have plants, will kill them.
Since I can’t seem to grow anything, I stick to the grocery store and farmer’s markets for fresh produce. I figure someone else can grown them, so I can support them and buy them. It’s a win, win for everyone involved.
I bought a few zucchinis last week with every intention of making this chocolate chip zucchini bread. At the last minute, I got a chocolate craving and decided to tweak it and add some dark cocoa powder.
Seriously! That was a good idea! Or bad idea since I downed way too many slices of this decadent sweet bread. Not the smartest thing to bake with chocolate when you are trying to eat healthy, so you can fit into your summer shorts all season!
I grabbed a bag of mini chocolate chips and poured a bunch of those into the batter too. What can I say? I love me some chocolate goodness.
A sprinkling of chocolate chips means this bread can get away without a glaze or frosting. I guess that really means this bread has three times the chocolate, right?
Sprinkle your bread pan with a little bit of sugar after you spray it with non-stick spray. It adds a little bit of crunch to the outside crust of the bread. Trust me, it’s so good.
The other thing to remember is to flip the bread out onto a plate after 10-15 minutes, otherwise you might end up with the bottom sticking to the pan as the sugar and bread cool down. Do not forget to do this, or you will be eating your slices with a fork from the pan. Just saying.
Yes, that does mean that the chocolate chips on top will get a little smashed as you flip the bread out onto a plate. Just flip it back over quickly. Trust me, a few smushed chips will not stop you from eating slice after slice of this dark chocolate zucchini bread!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1 Tablespoon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups mini chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 bread pan with non-stick baking spray. Sprinkle the pan with 1 Tablespoon sugar. Tap the pan to coat everything. Dump out the remaining sugar.
- Beat the sugars, oil, egg, and vanilla until creamy. Stir in the zucchini.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk until everything has been mixed in.
- Stir in 1 cup mini chocolate chips and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top of the batter with the remaining chips.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs sticking to it.
- Let cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, and then flip out onto a plate. Flip the bread back over, so the chocolate on top does not get smashed.
- Let cool before slicing. Store in a tightly sealed container on the counter. Makes 1 loaf.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 253mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 3gSugar: 27gProtein: 5g
More ways to enjoy chocolate covered veggies: