Chocolate chips and cocoa powder makes this Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread rich and delicious. No one will ever know you are hiding green veggies inside a moist and fudgy chocolate bread recipe.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
One of my favorite parts about the end of summer is all the zucchini that is available. We do love eating zoodles all year long, but I adore baking with zucchini even more.
Zucchini adds moisture to baked goods, and it really makes gives chocolate recipes a rich and fudgy texture.
I bought a few zucchinis last week with every intention of making this chocolate chip zucchini bread again. But at the last minute, I got a chocolate craving and decided to tweak it with cocoa powder. That was a good idea!
We love this double chocolate zucchini bread and so will you. My expert advice is to make two loaves. One to eat today, and one to eat tomorrow. No one will ever know you are hiding veggies inside this awesome chocolate bread.
- Dark cocoa powder and chocolate chips make it super chocolatey.
- It is moist, dense, and so delicious.
- The sweet bread really does taste like chocolate cake.
- Loaded with zucchini, so it's healthy. Wink, wink!
What You'll Need
This chocolate chocolate chip zucchini bread is made with basic ingredients you may already have in your kitchen. Adding extra chocolate chips on top means this chocolate bread recipe doesn't need a glaze or frosting.
- Sugar - A mixture of granulated sugar and brown sugar makes the bread sweet.
- Oil - Helps make the zucchini bread moist. I like to use canola oil for baking.
- Egg - Adds moisture and richness and also helps the bread rise.
- Vanilla Extract - Adds flavor. I like to use a pure vanilla, but imitation would be fine.
- Zucchini - Use a box grater to grate the zucchini. I like to use the smallest holes, so the pieces disappear into the bread easily. No need to peel the zucchini.
- Flour - I use all purpose flour. Any other flour will work, but make sure you follow the substitution recommendations on the package.
- Cocoa Powder - Dark cocoa powder gives this bread a rich chocolate flavor and a dark color.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda - A mixture of these two helps the bread bake tall and puffy.
- Spices - Cinnamon and nutmeg add a lovely spice to the chocolate flavor.
- Salt - Brings out the flavors and balances the sweetness.
- Buttermilk - Adds moisture and also
- Chocolate Chips - Use miniature chocolate chips so there are lots of melty chocolate pockets inside the bread. I also like to sprinkle some on the top before baking.
How to make Chocolate Zucchini Bread
I love this double chocolate zucchini bread because it is so easy to make. The batter comes together in less than 10 minutes. An hour later a decadent, rich, and fudgy chocolate bread is ready to be devoured.
- Mix together the oil and sugars in a large bowl until it looks like wet sand.
- Ad the egg and vanilla and mix again.
- Beat in the grated zucchini.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and buttermilk until a soft batter forms.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir gently.
- Pour into a greased bread pan and sprinkle with more chocolate chips.
- Bake for one hour or until done.
- Cool the bread on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then flip out onto a plate and continue cooling.
Tips and Tricks
- Do not over mix the batter. Stir or mix everything just until combined. Once the dry ingredients have been incorporated, stop the mixer.
- Keep the bread from sticking to the bread pan by using a nonstick baking spray that has flour in it.
- Sprinkle the greased bread pan with a little bit of cinnamon and sugar. It adds a little bit of crunch to the outside crust of the zucchini bread. Trust me, it's so good.
- Do not let the bread completely cool in the pan. Let the quick bread cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then flip it out onto a wire rack.
- Variations - Add shredded coconut, chopped nuts, or regular chocolate chips. Milk, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate are all great.
- Check the zucchini bread with a toothpick when it gets close to being done. Insert it in a place without chocolate chips. It should have moist crumbs on it, but not raw batter.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best way to grate zucchini?
My favorite way to grate or shred zucchini is with a box grater. Most have different sized holes, so you can choose the size of the zucchini pieces. I prefer to use the smallest holes.
You could use a food processor or blender to grate zucchini, but I don't recommend it because it can be messy and the zucchini could puree very easily.
Do you peel zucchini for bread?
No, it's not necessary to peel the zucchini because it magically "melts" into the zucchini bread as it bakes. The pieces are what gives the bread the moist texture.
How long does death by chocolate zucchini bread last?
The bread will keep for 2-4 days on the counter if wrapped tightly or placed in a sealed container.
Can you freeze zucchini bread?
Yes. Make sure the bread is completely cooled, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and foil. Place in a freezer bag and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
Other Chocolate Zucchini Recipes
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
- Zucchini Brownies
- Zucchini Donuts
- Zucchini Pound Cake
- Zucchini Cream Cheese Muffins
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini (not tightly packed)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 ¼ cups mini chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 bread pan with non-stick baking spray. Sprinkle the pan with cinnamon sugar. Tap the pan to coat everything. Dump out the remaining sugar.
- Mix the sugars and oil until it looks like wet sand. Add the egg and vanilla and beat again. Stir in the zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk until everything has been mixed in.
- Stir in 1 cup mini chocolate chips and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with the remaining chips.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs sticking to it.
- Let cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, and then flip out onto a plate. Flip the bread back over, so the chocolate on top does not get smashed.
- Let cool before slicing. Store in a tightly sealed container on the counter. Makes 1 loaf.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 253mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 3gSugar: 27gProtein: 5g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread was first published July 2016. The post was updated August 2021.