Enjoy a delicious surprise when you bite into these Chocolate Bon Bon Cookies. Each bite-sized shortbread cookie is dipped in white chocolate and has an unexpected Hershey kiss hidden inside. Get ready to fall in love as they melt in your mouth.
*I am partnering with Dixie Crystals to bring you this chocolate bon bon cookie recipe.
Why This Recipe Works
I love finding fun ways to incorporate Hershey kisses into cookies. There is something so exciting about eating a cookie with chocolate in the middle.
A batch of these chocolate cookies with kisses are so easy to make. Adding a white chocolate coating and colorful sprinkles make the bon bons look so fancy.
Get ready to satisfy the chocolate lover in you with these chocolate bon bon cookies.
- Quick and easy to make. The dough comes together in minutes using a mixer and one bowl.
- No chilling time required. Once the dough is made, you can fill and bake these secret kiss cookies right away.
- Use any Hershey kiss. Feel free to use your favorite kiss flavor for the centers.
- Perfect for every holiday. Change up the sprinkles on top of the bon bons to match the holiday or theme of any party.
What are bon bons?
Bon bon are small chocolate candies that have a sweet center. Bon bon cookies are a variation on this sweet treat. The soft shortbread cookies are filled with some type of center and then topped with frosting or chocolate.
For this bon bon cookie recipe, you will need basic ingredients that you probably have in your pantry, plus a bag of Hershey kisses or hugs.
- Butter - Make sure to set it out ahead of time. We always use unsalted to control the amount of salt in recipes.
- Powdered Sugar - Sweetens the cookie dough.
- Flavorings - Vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt add a great flavor to the cookies.
- Egg - Adds the liquid to the recipe and helps to bind all the ingredients together.
- Cocoa Powder - Provides the color and chocolate flavor. Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder is our favorite because it tastes great and bakes up rich and dark.
- Flour - Thickens the dough. See how to measure flour correctly, so your cookies turn out perfect.
- Hershey's Kisses - You can use any flavor of kiss inside these cookies. We like the white chocolate hugs because the of the color contrast when you bite into them.
- Topping - Ghirardelli melting wafers are our favorite for candies, truffles, or bon bons. They always melt smooth and creamy and taste great.
How to Make Bon Bon Cookies
These bon bon cookies are made with a chocolate shortbread dough, filled with a Hershey kiss, and then dipped in white chocolate. The sweet candy center will melt in your mouth.
STEP 1. Mix the wet ingredients. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until creamy. Add the egg and extracts and beat again.
STEP 2. Stir in the dry ingredients. Slowly mix in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt into the creamy butter mixture.
STEP 3. Roll the mixture into a large dough ball. Use a knife or dough cutter to cut it into 24 even pieces.
STEP 4. Fill with a Hershey kiss. Press each piece flat and place a hug in the center. Roll the dough around the candy and place on a baking sheet. Bake and cool.
BruCrew Tip: Once the shortbread Hershey kiss cookies are cool, dip the tops in melted white chocolate and add colorful sprinkles and sugars.
For the Full Recipe
I am sharing the ingredients and full directions for these chocolate bon bon cookies on Dixie Crystals website.
On the Counter - Once the chocolate is set, place the cookies in an air tight container. They will keep at room temperature for 4-5 days.
In the Freezer - Wrap the cookies individually in plastic wrap or place wax paper between the layers to keep them from sticking together. Place in a freezer bag and freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw and decorate before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Use different flavor kisses for the center. Some of our favorites in these kiss cookies were the meltaways, lava cake, and caramel. We used the mint truffle kisses in these chocolate mint cookies.
- Do not over bake the cookies, or they will be dry and crumbly.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before dipping them in melted white chocolate.
- Change the sprinkle colors to match holidays and themes.
Truffles have a creamy chocolate center and are rolled in cocoa powder or nuts. Bon bons are molded around a fruit, nut, or candy center.
Yes, you can use any flavor of Hershey kiss that you like.
Freeze the baked cookies in an air tight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight, then add the white chocolate and sprinkle toppings.
More Chocolate Cookies
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*Dixie Crystals sponsored this recipe and post. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. Thank you for letting me share products and brands we use and love. See my disclosure policy for more information.*