This easy Chocolate Mint Sugar Cookie Bars recipe can be made and frosted in one pan. They are soft and delicious and covered in a sweet vanilla mint frosting and mint chocolate chips. Yeah, that thick layer of frosting on these sugar cookie bars is the best!
*Love these recipes? Be sure to sign up for the BruCrew email to have them delivered to your inbox.
I used to make all kinds of sugar cookies in cute shapes with fun colors. But all that rolling, cutting, coloring, and frosting takes so much time and energy.
And then there are the sprinkles! Don’t get me wrong because I love the sprinkle part of a cookie. But after spending all that time in the kitchen, sprinkles tend to go flying in all directions because you just want to be done. Maybe that’s just me though.
Then one day I discovered how easy sugar cookie bars were to make, and I haven’t looked at another cookie cutter since then.
I’m sure there will come a day when I may need to pull out my box of cute cookie cutters, but until then our sugar cookies are staying square.
Sugar Cookie Bars
These sugar cookie bars are just like the ones you roll out and into cut shapes. The difference is that this recipe will save you time. Just press and bake. It’s that easy.
Over the years I have made quite a few different varieties of frosted cookie bars.
- Lots of colorful sprinkles make these Funfetti Sugar Cookie Bars so fun.
- These S’mores Sugar Cookie Bars have a gooey marshmallow frosting and chocolate candy bars on top. Great way to enjoy s’mores without the fire.
- White frosting, green sugar, and a cherry make these Shamrock Shake Sugar Cookie Bars look like the popular St. Patrick’s Day shake.
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars topped with fluffy lemon frosting and sprinkles are a fun dessert that everyone will love.
Chocolate sugar cookies are one of my favorites, so I decided to make them into bar cookies and top them with mint frosting.
I also found a bag of Andes Mint chips hiding in the back of my baking cupboard! Woo hoo! Gotta love a find like that!
Forget the sprinkles on these chocolate cookie bars. The mint chips add the perfect touch. Does anyone else eat those chips by the handfuls?
I try to resist them but, well, you know. A few handfuls may have disappeared before I dumped the rest on top of the mint buttercream.
How to make Chocolate Mint Sugar Cookie Bars:
- Beat together the butter and sugars until nice and creamy. (full recipe is at the bottom of post)
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir together the dry ingredients and slowly mix it into the butter mixture. Make sure to mix it long enough to create a soft dough.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of a greased pan and bake.
If you are against frosting and extra crunchy things like sprinkles or chocolate chips, go ahead and sprinkle some powered sugar on top and dig in.
But I’m a fan of a thick layer of frosting and all the sprinkles.
Vanilla Mint Buttercream on Chocolate Cookie Bars:
- Beat the butter, extracts, and whipping cream until creamy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and salt and beat until fluffy.
- Add a little bit of green gel coloring to the frosting and stir.
- Spread the mint buttercream on top of the cooled cookie bars.
- Add sprinkles or mint chips to to top and cut into squares.
I love picking up stickers and twine from the dollar spot at Target. They are the perfect little accents to keep on hand for decorating the little white boxes I found in one of my closets.
Yes, I’m a hoarder. We won’t talk about what else I may have found in my boxes while I was digging.
A plastic bag tied up with twine and a little rustic bow is all the sugar cookie bars need to stay fresh in the cute box. This is the perfect little treat to gift to a special friend!
More chocolate and mint recipes you may like:
- Andes Mint Cookie Dough Truffle Bars
- Andes Mint Cheesecake Brownie Pie
- Fudge Mint Gooey Brownie Bars
- Chocolate Mint Oreo Fudge
Other easy sugar cookie bars recipes:
- Pina Colada Sugar Cookie Bars
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Sugar Cookie Bars
- Neapolitan Sugar Cookie Bars
- Eggnog Sugar Cookie Bars – perfect for Christmas
- Vanilla Unicorn Sugar Cookie Bars
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also have a Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Mint Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- green gel food coloring
- 1 cup Andes Mint chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Beat the butter and sugars together. Add the egg and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add to the butter mixture until everything is mixed in. Press the mixture into the prepared pan 9x13 pan. Bake for 14-15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Beat the butter, extracts, and whipping cream until creamy. Slowly add the salt and powdered sugar until all is mixed in.
- Add a little bit of green food coloring for a touch of color. Beat for another minute until creamy.
- Spread over the cooled bars. Top with the Andes Mint chips. Cut into bars. Store in a sealed container on the counter.
*The post for Chocolate Mint Sugar Cookie Bars was first published on January 19, 2015. The post and the photos were updated and republished on March 2, 2020.