Transform easy Sugar Cookie Bars into a fun unicorn dessert with colorful vanilla frosting and lots of rainbow sprinkles. Unicorn Sugar Cookie Bars are so easy to make because you bake and frost them in one pan. Such a fun treat to make for picnics, parties, or holidays.
Sugar Cookie Bars with Frosting
These frosted sugar cookie bars make me smile so much! After I made this fun colored Unicorn Cheesecake, I was inspired to use the leftover sprinkles in a vanilla unicorn dessert.
Baking and frosting sugar cookie bars in one pan is one of my favorite types of dessert. It seriously saves so much time. No more rolling dough out, cutting cookies, and placing each one on a baking sheet.
The box of cookie cutters in our pantry hasn't been used in quite some time because all I make are cookies in a pan now. I'm still holding on to them just in case I get that urge to roll out dough. So far that urge hasn't happened!
What You'll Need:
These unicorn sugar cookies are one of the easiest desserts you will ever make. In fact, you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry to make a unicorn bar right now.
- Butter - softened butter is the key to mixing the dough together easily
- Sugar - granulated and brown sugar sweeten the dough and give a little bit of caramel flavor
- Egg - the moisture from the egg helps bind the ingredients together
- Vanilla - adds flavor
- Flour - gives structure to the dough
- Baking Powder - adds just a little bit of lift to the bars
- Salt - balances out the sweetness in the cookie bars
For these loaded sugar cookie bars I wanted to incorporate as much color as I could. I started with a sweet vanilla sugar cookie and then added a layer of frosting and sprinkles. The end result is soft and chewy sugar cookie bars that will make everyone smile.
How to make Unicorn Sugar Cookie Bars:
Step One: Make the Dough.
- Beat the butter and sugars until light and creamy.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until a soft dough forms. If you are using a hand mixer, this WILL take longer.
Step Two: Bake the Cookie Bars.
- Press the sugar cookie dough evenly in the bottom of a greased pan.
- Bake and cool.
Step Three: Decorate the Sugar Cookie Bars.
- Divide the vanilla frosting into 4 bowls. Use gel food colors to tint the frosting into the colors you want.
- Drop the frosting by spoonfuls onto the cooled cookie bars.
- Use an angled spatula to gently spread the frosting out. Do NOT over swirl or the frosting will turn gray.
- Add lots of colorful and glittery sprinkles to the top right away.
BRUCREW TIP: I love using gel food colors because they do not make your frosting runny, and they are very vibrant.
These sugar cookie bars made me so happy as I was cutting them into squares! Something about bright colors just makes me smile!!!
If you love colorful desserts as much as I do, then you need to see this this Rainbow Cheesecake. The swirls of color are so fun! This Rainbow Cereal Cake is another fun dessert with colorful layers. It is no bake and so easy. And this Rainbow Cheesecake Dip would be so fun to dip all the cookies in. Bring on all the colors!!!
How do you make unicorn sprinkles?
Mix together a variety of jimmies, sprinkles, candy pearls, and sanding sugars in different colors.
How do you store sugar cookie bars?
Keep the sugar cookie bars in a tightly sealed container on the counter for 4-5 days.
Can you freeze frosted sugar cookie bars?
Yes you can freeze frosted cookies. Place the uncut cookies in a tightly sealed freezer container and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw the cookie bars in the container at room temperature for a few hours before serving.
Can you use store bought cookie dough?
Sure you can save time by baking a roll of refrigerated cookie dough according to the package directions. Add the frosting and sprinkles after the cookies cool.
Other sugar cookie bars recipe:
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Mint Squares
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookie Bars
- S'mores Cookie Bars with marshmallows
- Neapolitan Bars
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies
More easy bar recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Brownies
- Best Lemon Bars
- Take 5 Candy Bar
- Blonde Brownies (with M&Ms)
- Congo Bars
- Marshmallow Oreo Brownie
*The post for Vanilla Unicorn Sugar Cookie Bars was first published March 3, 2017. The post was updated and republished April 9, 2021.