These homemade Frosted Rainbow Chip Brownies are topped with dark chocolate frosting and colorful chips making them so rich and delicious. This copycat recipe for Cosmic Brownies is the perfect snack for lunch boxes, after school snacks, or bake sales.
Our youngest son loves brownies and always wants to help me make them. The other night he got a box out of the cupboard and made them all by himself with some supervision from me.
Then he proceeded to eat quite a few before they even had a chance to cool off. Plain brownies are definitely his all time favorite dessert.
The next day on the way to school, he said that now that he knows how to make brownies, he is going to get up in the middle of the night and make his own pan. Sneaky little monster!
I admit that most of the time I like to reach for a box mix too. But ever since I made these Homemade Chocolate Chip Brownies, I have been converted to homemade brownie making. They are the perfect brownie to use for every chocolate craving you may have.
Although, there are still a few box brownie mixes in my cupboards that I will be using from time to time. Let’s not get too crazy excited about homemade all the time. After all, my baking motto is semi-homemade with flair!
These frosted brownies are definitely a favorite around my house. Although, my hubby took one look at them and wanted to know why I added rainbow chips to the entire pan of brownies.
He must be an alien or something because he hates any sort of sprinkles. That alien gene has been passed down to our kids because the boys always pick them off too.
A few years ago I made a pan of these Frosted Rainbow Chip Brownies for our life group AND a pan for a blog retreat.
The running joke from everyone in both groups was that I just unwrapped a package of Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies, put them on a plate, and brought those because these were too perfect looking.
The fun little colorful rainbow chips do totally make these look like those prepackaged childhood treats…except mine taste so much better. You have to check out my copycat Oatmeal Cream Pies recipe too. They are amazing!!!
These chewy frosted fudge brownies are the real deal. Homemade and absolutely delicious!!! Even with rainbow sprinkles!
How to make Frosted Rainbow Chip Brownies:
- Melt the butter in the microwave and whisk the dark cocoa powder into it. (full recipe at bottom of post)
- Beat the eggs until light and frothy. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat again.
- Pour in the butter and chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking powder and beat until just combined.
- Spread in a greased baking dish and bake.
- Once the brownies are cool, top with a chocolate ganache topping and rainbow chips.
More chocolate brownie ideas:
- M&M’s Brownies
- Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies
- Zebra Brownies – Little Debbie Copycat
- Coconut Nutella Brownies
- Coffee Cream Brownies
- Salted Caramel Brownies
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also have a Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup rainbow chip sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with foil or parchment and spray with nonstick spray.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and then whisk in the cocoa powder.
- Beat the eggs until light in color. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat again. Stir in the chocolate butter mixture.
- Add the salt, flour, and baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Spread in prepared pan. Bake 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs on it. Let cool completely.
- Place the heavy cream and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Stir until melted and creamy.
- Spread over the top of the cooled brownies. Top with the rainbow chips and let set.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g
*The post for Frosted Rainbow Chip Brownies was first published on March 16, 2015. The photos and post were updated and republished on February 28, 2020.