A dark chocolate topping and rainbow chips make these homemade Rainbow Chip Brownies so rich and delicious. This copycat recipe for cosmic brownies is the perfect treat for lunch boxes, after school snacks, or bake sales.
A few years ago I made a pan of these rainbow chip brownies for our life group AND a pan for a blog retreat.
The running joke from both groups was that I just unwrapped a package of Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies, put them on a plate, and brought those. Everyone thought mine were too perfect looking.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Looking for an out-of-this-world brownie recipe? These rainbow chip brownies are just like the store bought cosmic brownies, but the best part is that the homemade brownies tastes so much better!
It is the perfect recipe to use for every chocolate craving you may have. The layer of dark chocolate frosting and colorful rainbow chips make these brownies irresistible.
With their delicious flavor and fun colors, they're sure to be a hit at your next bake sale or party. Make them today - you won't regret it!
Key Ingredients Needed
With this easy rainbow chip brownie recipe, you can have homemade cosmic brownies in no time. All you need are a few simple ingredients and a 9x13 baking pan.
- Brownies - You can use your favorite box mix or make a homemade brownie recipe. It just needs to be one for a 9x13 pan.
- Chocolate Ganache - Melting dark chocolate chips and heavy cream in the microwave will give you this rich and creamy topping.
- Rainbow Chips - These little sprinkle bits are crunchy and colorful.
How to make Rainbow Chip Brownies
These chewy frosted fudge brownies are the real deal. They are easy to make too. Just follow our simple recipe and you'll have delicious brownies in your kitchen in no time.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl; whisk the dark cocoa powder into it.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl until light and frothy. Add the granulated sugar and vanilla extract and beat again.
- Pour in the melted butter and chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking powder and beat until just combined.
- Spread in a greased baking dish and bake. Remove and place the pan on a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Place the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 30 seconds. Stir until melted.
- Spread a chocolate ganache topping over the top of the cooled brownies and sprinkle with rainbow chips.
- Counter - Place the frosted brownies in an airtight container. They will keep on the counter for 3-4 days.
- Refrigerator - The brownies will stay fresh and delicious for 5-7 days if kept in the refrigerator.
- Freezer - Wrap the brownies tightly in plastic wrap, foil, and place in a freezer safe bag or container. Freezer for 1-2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
- Line your pan with foil or parchment paper, so you can lift the finished brownies out of the pan easily.
- For the best fudgy brownies, make sure you do not over bake the brownies. Use a toothpick to test the brownies. There should be a few crumbs on it.
- Different brands of chocolate chips will make the ganache set up differently. We usually use Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chips.
They are chocolate fudge brownie topped with chocolate frosting and rainbow chips. The Little Debbie company makes and sells the famous brownies.
I usually find them at Hobby Lobby or Michaels, and I have gotten them in the baking aisles of Walmart. You can find the Wilton rainbow chips on Amazon.
The best way to cut brownies is with a plastic knife. I know it sounds crazy, but for some reason the brownies will not stick to the plastic.
You can also run a knife under hot water, dry it off, then make cuts. Just clean it off after each cut.
- M&M's Brownies
- Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies
- Zebra Brownies - Little Debbie Copycat
- Coconut Nutella Brownies
- Coffee Cream Brownies
- Salted Caramel Brownies
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*The post for Frosted Rainbow Chip Brownies was first published on March 16, 2015. The photos and post were updated and republished on February 28, 2020.