Coffee lovers will go bonkers for these fudgy Coffee Brownies. A creamy coffee frosting and rich chocolate topping makes them absolutely delicious. They are the perfect way to perk up your day!
Coffee and chocolate are two of my favorite foods, so it only made sense to combine them into one decadent brownie dessert.
A few years ago I made these chocolate chip brownies and they have become the base recipe for almost every brownie creation I make. This time I added a little bit of espresso powder to give those basic brownies a richer flavor.
Since I love making layered desserts, I used these peanut butter truffle brownies for inspiration and added a layer of coffee frosting. If you love coffee, these brownies are for you.
Why This Works
Looking for a new dessert to make? Coffee brownies are the perfect solution.
The brownies are rich and fudgy, but it's the coffee frosting and creamy chocolate topping that makes them irresistible. They are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Or you can enjoy them as an afternoon pick-me-up. The addition of coffee is sure to perk you up and give you the boost to get everything done for the day.
If you love brownies and coffee, this brownie recipe needs to happen right away. They are great for parties, picnics, or a quiet night at home. Everyone always asks for this recipe when we bring them with us.
The best part about these homemade brownies is that they use common baking ingredients. You may have everything you need in your kitchen already.
- Unsalted Butter - Allows you to control how much salt gets added to your recipes.
- Cocoa Powder - We like to use Hershey's dark cocoa to give the brownies a deeper flavor and darker color. Feel free to buy an 8x8 box mix if you like.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens the brownie mixture.
- Baking Powder - Just a little bit provides a lift as they bake.
- Espresso Powder - This helps to enhance the chocolate flavor and make the brownies taste richer and more intense.
- Flour - Our recipes always use all purpose flour unless specified. Make sure you know how to measure flour properly.
- Coffee Frosting - A little bit of instant coffee, heavy cream, butter, and powdered sugar makes a creamy coffee buttercream that is so good.
- Chocolate Ganache - Dark chocolate chips mixed with warm heavy cream will give you a rich chocolate topping.
How to Make
A pan of these coffee cream brownies are so simple to make. Simply mix, bake, cool, frost, and dive in. The frosting and chocolate takes these chocolate brownies from good to great.
- Bake brownies. Whisk together melted butter and cocoa powder; set aside. Beat the sugar and eggs until light and creamy. Stir in the butter mixture and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and spread it in a greased baking pan. Bake and cool completely.
- Make coffee frosting. Stir the instant coffee into heavy cream until mostly dissolved. Beat the butter and salt until creamy. Add the coffee cream and powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Spread on top of the cooled brownies.
- Add chocolate ganache. Heat heavy cream and chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until creamy and thick. Spread evenly on top of the frosting.
- Counter - Keep the brownies in a tightly sealed container on the counter for 3-4 days.
- Refrigerator - These brownies will keep in the fridge for 6-7 days if you place them in an air tight container.
- Freezer - Wrap the brownies tightly in two layers of plastic wrap and then place in a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper. It will make it so much easier to lift the brownies out after frosting them.
- Don't skip the coffee. It really does make these brownies so much better.
- Keep an eye on your brownies as they bake. All ovens bake differently. Test them with a toothpick 1-2 minutes before the timer goes off. There should be moist crumbs on it when you pull it out.
- Make sure you let the brownies cool completely before spreading the coffee frosting on top. Warm brownies will definitely melt the frosting into a puddle.
- Cut the brownies into little squares and add a chocolate covered coffee bean to the top of each one.
- Need more brownies? Double the recipe and bake it in a 9x13 pan for 30-35 minutes.
What does coffee do in brownies?
Adding coffee to the brownie batter helps to enhance the chocolate flavor by making it richer and deeper.
Can these be made ahead of time?
Yes, this is a great dessert to make 1-2 days ahead of time. The flavor just gets better each day.
More Brownie Recipes
- Espresso Brownies
- Samoa Brownies
- Oreo Brownies
- Mint Chocolate Brownies
- Easy Fudge Brownie Recipe
- M&M Brownies
- Rainbow Brownies
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*The post for Coffee Cream Brownies was first published August 2017. The post was updated and republished June 2022.