A bowl of this Lean Mean Veggie Soup is a delicious way to nourish your body. This one pot soup recipe is loaded with all your favorite vegetables.
I realize that for most of the country the weather outside is downright frigid, and the last thing you probably want to eat are some veggies.
This healthy soup is something that our family makes all the time. The benefit is that not only is it a comforting recipe to enjoy when it’s cold outside, it’s also extremely healthy. Gotta love that right?
I have to be honest with you. The first time I made this veggie soup, I wasn’t impressed with it at all. Honestly, I had no plans to ever make it again.
But my hubby is on the healthy eating band wagon with me, and he requested it again saying, “It wasn’t that bad.”
So at his request I bought all the ingredients again. Only this time I changed out some things and added a few more things that I felt it needed.
Our kids are happy to report that the second batch was way more appealing!!! They even helped us finish off all the leftovers.
What I love most about this detox soup is that it is packed with so many vegetables and vitamins. It’s also perfect for anyone eating low carb, whole 30, vegan, or paleo.
And the best part about this vegetable soup is that you can totally customize it with the veggies you love.
What is in Lean Mean Veggie Soup?
- Cabbage: low in calories, but it is high in so many nutrients and vitamins, and fiber.
- Broccoli: high in fiber, vitamin C, and protein
- Carrots: a great source of vitamins and fiber.
- Celery: full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- Onions: antibodies that help cleanse and detox the body
- Radishes: high in fiber, high in vitamin C and so many other nutrients
- Peppers: low in calories, loaded with various vitamin and minerals and high in vitamin C
- Tomatoes: full of fiber and a great source of vitamin C and K
- Kale: low in fat, nutrient dense, loaded with antioxidants and vitamin C
- Oregano: rich in antioxidants
- Garlic: highly nutritious, low in calories, and contains antioxidants
- Tumeric: anti-inflammatory effects and a strong antioxidant
These are the veggies and herbs that we choose to make this easy weight loss soup with. Feel free to use other ones that you like in place of something else.
Tips to make Lean Mean Veggie Soup:
Chop all your veggies ahead of time. I like to cut the veggies the day before and keep them in containers in the fridge.
Dump everything, except the kale and salt and pepper, in a large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the veggies are soft.
Remove from the heat and stir in the kale. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
To make this a full meal, serve it along side of some lean protein like chicken or fish.
Other healthy soup recipes you may like:
- Easy Low Carb Keto Chili
- Loaded Cauliflower Soup
- Spicy Rice and Chicken Soup
- Low Carb Sausage Kale Soup
Connect more with Inside BruCrew Life!
Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #brucrewlifebaking, so I can see all the Inside BruCrew Life recipes you are making.
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 8 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped radishes
- 1/2 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced orange pepper
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 - 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 6 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup kale
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine everything, except the kale and salt and pepper, in a large soup pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft. (around 30 minutes or so)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the kale. Wait until the kale wilts to serve.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate leftovers.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 114 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 541mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 9g Protein: 6g
*The recipe for Lean Mean Veggie Soup was originally published on January 4, 2012. The post and pictures have been updated and it was republished on January 10, 2019.