These Lemon Coconut Cupcakes are an easy and refreshing dessert! Lemon frosting and pie filling make these coconut cupcakes a delicious recipe for spring events like Easter or Mother’s Day. Trust me though, you will want to make them all year long.
*I am partnering with Lucky Leaf this year as a blog ambassador sharing recipes using pie filling.
It’s official. Spring is here, and it’s time to add lemon to everything. I used to avoid lemon desserts because I wasn’t a fan of the tart flavor. Anyone else with me?
A few years ago I made these Easy Lemon Bars, and the sweet crust paired with the tart filling convinced me that I should give all lemon dessert recipes a second chance.
Baby steps, right? One of these days, I will be able to say I’m a full blown lemon lover!
Lemon Pie Filling
Every spring I get excited to create a dessert for Lucky Leaf® using their pie filling. This time I picked the lemon pie filling to work with, and I kept thinking about cupcakes.
I tested a few varieties, but I finally decided that coconut desserts were my favorite, so I added a hidden pocket of lemon filling to the coconut cupcakes. Best decision ever!!!
Ingredients for Coconut Cupcakes with Lemon Filling
For the Coconut Cupcakes
- White Cake Mix & Instant Coconut Pudding Mix – a cake mix with pudding mix creates a denser cupcake that is sturdier for fillings
- Eggs, Oil, Extracts, Coconut Milk – liquids needed to make add moisture to the dry ingredients
- Shredded Coconut – adds a good texture and flavor to the cupcakes
- Lemon Pie Filling – needed for the center of the cupcakes and frosting
For the Lemon Frosting
- Butter & Marshmallow Cream – mix together these create a light and fluffy frosting texture
- Salt & Powdered Sugar – sweetens and balances the frosting
- Lemon Pie Filling – adds a light lemon flavor to the butter cream
How to make Lemon Coconut Cupcakes
Four types of coconut give the doctored cake mix a delicious coconut flavor. These cake mix cupcakes are not shy when it comes to coconut goodness!
Step One: Make the Cupcake Batter.
- Add the cupcake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, milk, and extract to a bowl.
- Beat until a smooth batter comes together.
Step Two: Bake the Cupcakes.
- Spoon the cupcake batter evenly into 24 liners.
- Bake and cool.
Step Three: Fill the Cupcakes.
- Remove the center of each coconut cupcake with a cupcake corer or a small sharp knife.
- Spoon lemon pie filling into the center.
How to make Lemon Frosting
- Beat the softened butter until creamy. Add lemon pie filling, marshmallow cream, and salt and beat again.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix on low until everything is incorporated. Beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with icing tip 1M and pipe swirls on top of the filled cupcakes.
- Top each one with shredded coconut and a fresh raspberry.
- Coconut Cupcakes – Skip the lemon filling and frosting. Top with Marshmallow Frosting and toasted coconut.
- Lemon Filled Vanilla Cupcakes – use a vanilla pudding mix, regular milk, and vanilla extract to make the cake mix. Do not add shredded coconut. Fill with lemon filling and frost with lemon frosting.
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Frequently Asked Questions
How many cupcakes does this make?
This recipe will make 24 filled and frosted cupcakes.
How do you store these lemon coconut cupcakes?
I recommend storing these coconut cupcakes in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator because of the lemon filling.
Can you freeze these cupcakes?
If you need to make these ahead of time, freeze the unfilled cupcakes in a freezer safe bag or container. Thaw in the refrigerator 24 hours before you are going to serve them. Add the filling and frosting up to a day before serving.
Other coconut desserts
More lemon dessert recipes
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also have a Facebook group and would love for you to join. Share recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. Request to join HERE.
For the Cupcakes
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 - 3.4 ounce box instant coconut pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 - 21 ounce can Lucky Leaf Lemon Pie Filling, divided
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup marshmallow cream
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 24 fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place 24 cupcake liners in a cupcake pan or muffin tin.
- Mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, coconut milk, and extracts. Beat on low for 1 minute, then increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded coconut gently.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the liners. Bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Remove and cool completely.
- Set aside 1/2 cup lemon pie filling. Remove the center of each cooled cupcake and fill with pie filling.
- Beat the butter until fluffy. Add the marshmallow cream, reserved pie filling, and salt and beat again.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until everything is incorporated. Beat on medium high until light and fluffy.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with icing tip 1M. Swirl frosting on cupcakes.
- Top with shredded coconut and a raspberry. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*This recipe was sponsored by Lucky Leaf. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. Thank you for letting me share products and brands we use and love. See my disclosure policy for more information.*