These Lemon Coconut Cupcakes are an easy and refreshing dessert! Lemon frosting and pie filling make these coconut cupcakes a delicious recipe for spring events like Easter or Mother's Day. Trust me though, you will want to make them all year long.
*I am partnering with Lucky Leaf this year as a blog ambassador sharing recipes using pie filling.
It's official. Spring is here, and it's time to add lemon to everything. I used to avoid lemon desserts because I wasn't a fan of the tart flavor. Anyone else with me?
A few years ago I made these Easy Lemon Bars, and the sweet crust paired with the tart filling convinced me that I should give all lemon dessert recipes a second chance.
Baby steps, right? One of these days, I will be able to say I'm a full blown lemon lover!
Lemon Pie Filling
Every spring I get excited to create a dessert for Lucky Leaf® using their pie filling. This time I picked the lemon pie filling to work with, and I kept thinking about cupcakes.
I tested a few varieties, but I finally decided that coconut desserts were my favorite, so I added a hidden pocket of lemon filling to the coconut cupcakes. Best decision ever!!!
Ingredients for Coconut Cupcakes with Lemon Filling
For the Coconut Cupcakes
- White Cake Mix & Instant Coconut Pudding Mix - a cake mix with pudding mix creates a denser cupcake that is sturdier for fillings
- Eggs, Oil, Extracts, Coconut Milk - liquids needed to make add moisture to the dry ingredients
- Shredded Coconut - adds a good texture and flavor to the cupcakes
- Lemon Pie Filling - needed for the center of the cupcakes and frosting
For the Lemon Frosting
- Butter & Marshmallow Cream - mix together these create a light and fluffy frosting texture
- Salt & Powdered Sugar - sweetens and balances the frosting
- Lemon Pie Filling - adds a light lemon flavor to the butter cream
How to make Lemon Coconut Cupcakes
Four types of coconut give the doctored cake mix a delicious coconut flavor. These cake mix cupcakes are not shy when it comes to coconut goodness!
Step One: Make the Cupcake Batter.
- Add the cupcake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, milk, and extract to a bowl.
- Beat until a smooth batter comes together.
Step Two: Bake the Cupcakes.
- Spoon the cupcake batter evenly into 24 liners.
- Bake and cool.
Step Three: Fill the Cupcakes.
- Remove the center of each coconut cupcake with a cupcake corer or a small sharp knife.
- Spoon lemon pie filling into the center.
How to make Lemon Frosting
- Beat the softened butter until creamy. Add lemon pie filling, marshmallow cream, and salt and beat again.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix on low until everything is incorporated. Beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with icing tip 1M and pipe swirls on top of the filled cupcakes.
- Top each one with shredded coconut and a fresh raspberry.
- Coconut Cupcakes - Skip the lemon filling and frosting. Top with Marshmallow Frosting and toasted coconut.
- Lemon Filled Vanilla Cupcakes - use a vanilla pudding mix, regular milk, and vanilla extract to make the cake mix. Do not add shredded coconut. Fill with lemon filling and frost with lemon frosting.
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Frequently Asked Questions
How many cupcakes does this make?
This recipe will make 24 filled and frosted cupcakes.
How do you store these lemon coconut cupcakes?
I recommend storing these coconut cupcakes in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator because of the lemon filling.
Can you freeze these cupcakes?
If you need to make these ahead of time, freeze the unfilled cupcakes in a freezer safe bag or container. Thaw in the refrigerator 24 hours before you are going to serve them. Add the filling and frosting up to a day before serving.
Other coconut desserts
More lemon dessert recipes
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*This recipe was sponsored by Lucky Leaf. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. Thank you for letting me share products and brands we use and love. See my disclosure policy for more information.*