These Lemon Coconut Cupcakes are an easy and refreshing dessert! Lemon frosting and pie filling make them the perfect lemon dessert recipe for spring events like Easter or Mother’s Day. Trust me though, you will want to make them all year long.
*I am partnering with Lucky Leaf this year as a blog ambassador sharing recipes using pie filling.
It’s official. Spring is here, and it’s time to add lemon to everything. I used to avoid lemon desserts because I wasn’t a fan of the tart flavor. Anyone else with me?
A few years ago I made these Lemon Bars, and the sweet crust paired with the tart filling convinced me that I should give all lemon dessert recipes a second chance.
Baby steps, right? One of these days, I will be able to say I’m a full blown lemon lover!
Every spring I get excited to create a dessert for Lucky Leaf® using their pie filling. This time I picked the lemon pie filling to work with, and I kept thinking about cupcakes.
I tested a few varieties, but I finally decided that coconut desserts were my favorite, so I added a hidden pocket of lemon to the cupcakes. Best decision ever!!!
Ingredients for Lemon Coconut Cupcakes recipe:
For the Coconut Cupcakes:
- White Cake Mix, Instant Coconut Pudding Mix – a cake mix with pudding mix creates a denser cupcake that is sturdier for fillings
- Eggs, Oil, Extracts, Coconut Milk – liquids needed to make add moisture to the dry ingredients
- Shredded Coconut – adds a good texture and flavor to the cupcakes
- Lemon Pie Filling – needed for the center of the cupcakes and frosting
For the Lemon Frosting:
- Butter, Marshmallow Cream – mix together these create a light and fluffy frosting texture
- Salt, Powdered Sugar – sweetens and balances the frosting
- Lemon Pie Filling – adds a light lemon flavor to the butter cream
Four types of coconut give the doctored cake mix a delicious coconut flavor. These cake mix cupcakes are not shy when it comes to coconut goodness!
How to make Coconut Cupcakes:
Step One: Make the Cupcake Batter.
- Add the cupcake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, milk, and extract to a bowl.
- Beat until a smooth batter comes together.
Step Two: Bake the Cupcakes.
- Spoon the cupcake batter evenly into 24 liners.
- Bake and cool.
Step Three: Fill the Cupcakes.
- Remove the center of each cupcake with a cupcake corer or a small sharp knife.
- Spoon lemon pie filling into the center.
How to make Lemon Frosting:
- Beat the softened butter until creamy. Add lemon pie filling, marshmallow cream, and salt and beat again.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix on low until everything is incorporated. Beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with icing tip 1M and pipe swirls on top of the filled cupcakes.
- Top each one with shredded coconut and a fresh raspberry.
- Coconut Cupcakes – Skip the lemon filling and frosting. Top with Marshmallow Frosting and toasted coconut.
- Lemon Filled Vanilla Cupcakes – use a vanilla pudding mix, regular milk, and vanilla extract to make the cake mix. Do not add shredded coconut. Fill with lemon filling and frost with lemon frosting.
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
How many cupcakes does this make?
This recipe will make 24 filled and frosted cupcakes.
How do you store these lemon coconut cupcakes?
I recommend storing these coconut cupcakes in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator because of the lemon filling.
Can you freeze these cupcakes?
If you need to make these ahead of time, freeze the unfilled cupcakes in a freezer safe bag or container. Thaw in the refrigerator 24 hours before you are going to serve them. Add the filling and frosting up to a day before serving.
Other coconut desserts:
More lemon dessert recipes:
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also have a Facebook group and would love for you to join. Share recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. Request to join HERE.
For the Cupcakes
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 - 3.4 ounce box instant coconut pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 - 21 ounce can Lucky Leaf Lemon Pie Filling, divided
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup marshmallow cream
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 24 fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place 24 cupcake liners in a cupcake pan or muffin tin.
- Mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, coconut milk, and extracts. Beat on low for 1 minute, then increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded coconut gently.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the liners. Bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Remove and cool completely.
- Set aside 1/2 cup lemon pie filling. Remove the center of each cooled cupcake and fill with pie filling.
- Beat the butter until fluffy. Add the marshmallow cream, reserved pie filling, and salt and beat again.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until everything is incorporated. Beat on medium high until light and fluffy.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with icing tip 1M. Swirl frosting on cupcakes.
- Top with shredded coconut and a raspberry. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*This recipe was sponsored by Lucky Leaf. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. Thank you for letting me share products and brands we use and love. See my disclosure policy for more information.*