The pieces of apples and the sweet glaze on these Mini Apple Fritter Waffle Donuts will have you reaching for a few more donuts in a hurry. Perfect snack to enjoy with a cup of coffee this afternoon.
*Crunch Pak apples sponsored this post. I am partnering with them as a blog ambassador creating delicious apple recipes. All opinions are 100% my own.
One of my all time favorite donuts is actually a warm apple fritter from a little donut shop in Indiana where we lived for 12 years. Even now, I’m totally drooling as I remember how they melted in your mouth.
The chunks of apple in a soft dough that is fried and coated in a sweet sugary glaze is hard to beat. I’m actually kicking myself right now for not stopping when we drove through there this past summer.
What was I thinking???
I know that fall is still a month away, but this week I jumped on the apple baking train, and I haven’t looked back. There may even be some fall decorations on a few tables in our house. My husband and kids gave me a little grief for rushing fall.
Our local grocery store had bags of Crunch Pak apples on sale this week, so I had to get started on my apple baking early. The way I see it is that they were basically forcing me to start fall baking.
This week as I was baking, all I could think about were those amazing apple fritters that I missed out on last month. So I set out to make a homemade version in our kitchen.
It was a great idea!! The biggest recommendation or tip I have for you is to make sure you use a waffle iron that can cook 2-4 at a time. My little waffle iron can only make one at a time, soooooo I was in the kitchen a while.
Thank goodness I was able to multi task and do some cleaning while the Mini Apple Fritter Waffle Donuts were cooking.
How to make Mini Apple Fritter Waffle Donuts:
Preheat your waffle iron, so that it is ready to get started as soon as the batter is ready.
Stir together the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Whisk together the egg, milk, and oil and then stir it into the dry ingredients.
Use a food processor to shred your Crunch Pak apple slices. You can leave the peels on when you do this. Stir the apple pieces into the batter.
Spray the waffle iron with non-stick spray and drop the batter by Tablespoons onto different sections of the waffle iron. Make sure to space them out a bit, so they don’t cook together.
Cook the waffle donuts for 3-5 minutes depending on how hot your waffle iron gets. The little waffle iron that I used took 5 minutes to get a good crispy outside that I was happy with. Use a fork to gently remove the donuts from the waffle iron.
Let the waffle donuts cool on a wire rack while you stir together the glaze.
Drop each one into the glaze and flip it over to get the glaze into every square of the waffles. Place them back on a wire rack that is inside of sheet pan. The pan underneath will catch all the drips, so you don’t have a mess on the counter later.
These Mini Apple Fritter Waffle Donuts are best served the day they are made. Although, I did refrigerate the leftover waffle donuts. They were pretty delicious reheated in the microwave for a few seconds the next day.
More easy apple recipes you may enjoy:
- Crock Pot Cinnamon Strawberry Applesauce – all you need is three ingredients and a crock pot to make this delicious homemade applesauce
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Tarts – drizzles of caramel and chocolate add a fun flair to these easy fall treats
- Cranberry Poppyseed Apple Salad – apple chunks and a homemade berry dressing makes eating salad so fun
- Caramel Apple Cookies from The Baker Mama – caramel bits and apple pieces make these cookies taste like the real deal
- Butter Pecan Apple Skillet Cake from Shugary Sweets – the custard center and bourbon caramel sauce will have you reaching for another slice
Connect with Crunch Pak for more recipes and ideas:
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Mini Apple Fritter Waffle Donuts recipe:
For the Waffle Donut batter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Crunch Pak apples
For the Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- cinnamon sugar
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Stir together the dry ingredients. Whisk in the egg, milk, and oil.
- Gently stir in the shredded apples.
- Spray the waffle iron with nonstick spray. Drop the batter by Tablespoon onto the waffle iron. Cook 3-5 minutes, depending on how hot your iron gets. (I used a small Dash waffle iron and I cooked each one 5 minutes.)
- Place the waffle donuts on a wire rack to cool.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients. Dip each waffle donut in the glaze.
- Flip it around and let the excess drip off. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if desired. Let set.
- *These are best served the day they are made. If you need to store them, place them in the refrigerator in a loosely sealed container. Reheat in the microwave for 5-7 seconds for that fresh from the waffle iron taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 49mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g