The perfect fall dessert is here. This Apple Walnut Cake with maple frosting will be the hit of your next dinner party. It is easy to make, and the flavors are so delicious.
Fall is in the air and that means it's time for some delicious apple recipes!
A few years ago I made this praline cake with apples that has been our favorite fall cake. That is until we made THIS new apple cake recipe.
It is is soft and moist and has so many chunks of fruits and nuts in each bite. Plus, the creamy maple frosting is absolutely incredible!
Why Make This Cake
You are going to love the sweet and nutty flavor in this cake. Loaded with fruit and nuts, it's a delicious way to celebrate the start of the season.
This apple cake has four cups of chopped apples and applesauce in it, so it has an amazing apple taste. It's a great dessert to make ahead of time because it gets better each day. The moisture from the fruit really helps keep it moist and delicious.
The best part about this apple walnut cake is the maple frosting on top. It adds a creamy fall flavor that is absolutely out of this world.
Get ready to bake this fall dessert after picking apples with your friends and family this fall.
What You'll Need
Baking this apple walnut cake recipe is easy because it calls for common ingredients that you may have on hand already.
For the Apple Cake
- Sugar - A mixture of granulated sugar and brown sugar sweetens the cake.
- Applesauce - This is used in place of any oil or butter and makes it a super moist cake.
- Eggs - Holds and binds the ingredients together.
- Maple Extract - The secret ingredient to a dreamy fall taste.
- Apple Pie Spice - This mixture of spices adds a delicious warmth.
- Mix In's - Diced apples, chopped walnuts, and raisins add a delicious flavor to this fall cake.
- Flour - This recipe uses all purpose flour. Learn how to measure flour correctly, so your baked goods turn out correctly every time.
For the Maple Frosting
- Butter - Set it out while the cake cools, so it will be soft when you are ready to make the frosting.
- Cream Cheese - Just a small amount adds a creamy rich flavor to the frosting.
- Maple Extract - Gives the perfect maple flavor without overpowering everything.
- Powdered Sugar - Sweetens and thickens the mixture.
- Heavy Cream - Thins it out and also adds a light fluffy flavor.
How to make Apple Walnut Cake
It is quite easy to make this apple cake from scratch in just a few minutes. There are no complicated steps or instructions.
Make the Cake Batter
- Beat the applesauce, sugar, eggs, and extract in a large bowl until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir gently.
- Fold in the chopped apples, walnuts, and both kinds of raisins.
Bake the Cake
- Grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan.
- Spread the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake until done.
- Remove and place on a wire rack until completely cool.
Make Maple Frosting
- Beat the softened butter, cream cheese, salt, and extract in a medium mixing bowl until creamy.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar and heavy cream until it is combined.
- Increase the mixer speed and beat a few extra minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Spread the maple icing on top of the cake and sprinkle with more chopped walnuts and a little bit of apple pie spice.
Counter - An unfrosted cake can be kept in a sealed container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Refrigerator - Keep the frosted cake in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Tips and Tricks
Make sure your maple apple cake turns out perfect every time with our easy tips.
- Use your favorite apples in this recipe. We usually use Gala apples for most of our recipes.
- Chop the apples into small bite sized pieces. We do not recommend grating or shredding the apples because it will add too much moisture to the batter.
- Toast and cool the walnuts before chopping them. This will add another depth of flavor that is so good.
- Feel free to leave the nuts and/or raisins out of the cake, if you do not like them.
- Do not over mix the cake batter. Stop mixing once everything is coated or combined. This will give you the best texture when the cake is baked.
- Make sure the apple nut cake is completely cool before adding the frosting. Even a slightly warm cake can make the frosting melt into a puddle.
What are the best apples to bake with?
Some of the best apples to use in baked goods are Fuji, Granny Smith, Gala, Honeycrisp, and Jonagold. You want to use a firmer apple that will hold its shape as it bakes.
The key to a really good flavor is to combine different apples in your recipes.
Do you need to peel apples when making cake?
That is totally up to you. There is no need to remove the apple peels before adding them to baked goods. The unpeeled apple chunks add a touch of color and texture.
Can I freeze apple cake?
Yes, you can freeze an apple cake. I do recommend freezing it without the frosting though. Make sure the cake is completely cool, then wrap in a few layers of plastic wrap and foil.
Place the wrapped cake in the freezer for a few months. Unwrap and thaw overnight in the fridge. Add the frosting right before serving.
More Apple Cake Recipes
- Apple Crumble Cake
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
- Apple Cranberry Cake
- Upside Down Caramel Apple Cake
- Cake Mix Apple Cake
- Apple Snickers Cake
- Toffee Apple Cake
- Apple Cider Cake
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for this Maple Apple Walnut Cake was first published August 2017. The pictures and post were redone and republished August 2022.