Sour Cream Banana Donuts

This Friday morning it is a chilly 0* outside.
I am thinking it is a good day to stay inside…
my body is not a fan of temperatures that low.
So for now I am warm and toasty inside
and not going out until forced to.
I think maybe we should bake some Sour Cream Banana Donuts to celebrate.

What to do on such a bright cheery FROZEN day?
Put on some slippers. Check.
Crank the heat a little more. Check.
Maybe do a little more cleaning. I will think about checking that one.
And definitely eat a donut or two. Check.

Why is it that donuts are an acceptable breakfast food?
If I told you I was going to eat cake or pie,
I am sure it might bring on a disapproving nod or two…
then there are those of us who would just cheer loudly:-)

Cake and donuts have the same exact ingredients,
so what makes one a breakfast item and the other dessert?
Just curious.
It definitely isn’t going to stop me from consuming either…
anytime soon!

Remember these Apple Cider Donuts I made?
this is kinda the same recipe…

actually NO it isn’t…
I just read through both,
and I completely changed up the ingredients for these
Sour Cream Banana Donuts.

The only thing that would have made these better
would have been sprinkles!!!

Sour Cream Banana Donuts

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour
1 c. chocolate chips
1 tsp. shortening

1. Preheat oven to 375*
  2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside. Cream the butter, salt and sugar until smooth. Add egg and sour cream and beat again until creamy. Add the bananas and beat one more time. Slowly add the flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Spray your mini bundt cake pan with non stick spray. Fill the cavities about halfway and bake for 12-15 minutes. The tops should spring back when finished and be nice and golden brown.
  3. Combine the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until melted and smooth. Dip the donuts and let set.

Notes

I baked these in a mini bundt cake pan. You could also bake them in a donut pan for a slightly shorter bake time.

Comments

oh my, I am totally making these. I just got a donut maker for Christmas, and I am looking for new recipes. Yum Yum. You have so many great recipes. I am your new follower. Visiting from creatingmemorieswithallieroo.blogspot.com. Thank

Those donuts look so delicious!! I was complaining about having to get out in 20 degree weather this morning – I will stop complaining. ;)

Also, had to let you know that I will occasionally justify eating a cupcake/brownie, etc. in the morning for breakfast by saying “it’s no different than eating a donut”.

Stay warm!!

Well now I don’t see any reason why ‘banana’ donuts aren’t a good breakfast food, after all they have fruit in them and fruit is definitly and OK breakfast food. Go for it!

Thanks for sharing this recipe.
    We donut eaters of America need to unite!

Ok, since it’s -14 degrees here, I have to try these! Do you think they would work without the bananas? (We don’t have any here!) YUM!

5. Hi, I'm Susan! says

these look so delicious!!! question, what kind of pan did you use and how many donuts does this recipe make? thanks!

You had me at “donuts”! And the sour cream and bananas just put them over the top into the deliciousness stratosphere! I saw your link-up over at Tickled Pink, and had to click over and visit. I was happy to see a familiar “face”, as you were kind enough to take part in “A Little Birdie Told Me…” at Rook No. 17 last week. If you have a chance, I’d love to have you drop by again to share this recipe in this week’s linky. Also, I featured your recipe for the peanut-butter parfaits! Have a great weekend, Jenn

Wait. I’m still stuck on the whole “donut pan” thing. How did I not know such a thing existed? Where have I been?

Regardless of where I have or haven’t been, these donuts look incredible. Seriously. Amazing. Wow.

Jocelyn, these look so yummy and what great flavor combinations. These would be perfect for tomorrow morning. I love cooking something a little nicer and more complicated on Saturday morning.

Those look amazing! I have had the same thoughts regarding cake and donuts which is why I feel absolutely no guilt when I eat cake for breakfast. :) I definitely need to try these…and the apple cider ones too. Yum! Thanks for linking up to my party!

These look soo yummy.. wish I could grab one off the screen.. and normally I hate donuts.. and btw I DO eat cake and pie for breakfast.. especially carrot cake, pumpkin and apple pie because they have fruit and veggies! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

Jocelyn, this recipe continues to have me going all Homer Simpson catatonic! Yum! Thank you so much for continuing to be such a wonderful participant in “A Little Birdie Told Me” on Tuesdays. Your recipes are always such a highlight!

• Jocelyn Brubaker says

You could definitely bake them in a muffin pan but make sure to increase your baking time to about 18-20 minutes. Keep an eye on them because I am guessing on that time, since this recipe was tested with a donut pan.

12. GiftedMama says

I made these as muffins today. Took a long time to cook through. They are delicious and have a nice texture.