These soft baked Carrot Cake Donuts are the perfect way to enjoy cake for breakfast. They bake up light and fluffy and are topped with a cream cheese frosting. Perfect recipe for Easter brunch or for anyone who loves carrot cake.
Why We Love This Recipe
Carrot cake is one of my favorite cakes of all time. It makes me feel like I am eating a healthy dessert because: A. there are carrots in it and B. there is pineapple in it.
The last time I checked, carrots and pineapple were still healthy fruits and veggies. So, that makes these carrot cake donuts perfectly acceptable for breakfast, right?
I love that this carrot cake donut recipe because it has fruits and veggies in it, AND the donuts are baked not fried.
They bake up light and fluffy, are perfectly spiced, and have cream cheese frosting. Best way to eat "cake" for breakfast!
Key Ingredients Needed
These easy carrot donuts come together in no time using simple ingredients you have in your pantry.
- Butter - Unsalted butter gives you the opportunity to adjust the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Brown Sugar - Sweetens the donuts and keeps them soft.
- Greek Yogurt - Adds moisture and reacts with the other ingredients to make the donuts light and fluffy. You can also use sour cream if you like.
- Crushed Pineapple - Make sure to drain the pineapple well and save the juice for the cream cheese frosting.
- Carrots - Use the small side of a grater to shred the peeled carrots into small pieces.
- Spices - Adds a great homemade spice flavor. Use this cake spice recipe to make your own spice blend.
- Flour - Use the fluff and spoon method to make sure you are adding the right amount. See how to measure flour correctly.
How to make Carrot Cake Donuts
Get ready to enjoy carrot cake for breakfast with these easy baked carrot cake donuts.
- Preheat the oven and spray a regular donut pan with nonstick spray with flour in it. This will keep the donuts from sticking to the pan.
- Beat the butter, salt, vanilla, and brown sugar until light and creamy. Add the yogurt, drained crushed pineapple, and grated carrots and mix again.
- Add the flour, spices, and baking powder and soda and mix in gently until everything is combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into a large ziplock bag and cut one corner off. Make sure it is large enough that the carrots and pineapple can squeeze through too.
- Fill the donut pans with batter and bake for 10 minutes. Let the donuts cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing them and letting them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix together the frosting ingredients until creamy. Dip the tops of the carrot cake donuts in the cream cheese glaze and sprinkle with chopped walnuts and orange sprinkles.
Because these donuts have cream cheese frosting on them, you need to keep them in an air tight container in the refrigerator. They should keep for 2-3 days. Let them sit out for a few minutes before serving to remove the chill and to let them soften up slightly.
If you do not frost the donuts, you can keep them in a container on the counter for a few days.
- Do NOT use the already shredded carrots from the grocery store because they do not have enough water content in them for baked goods. Freshly grated or shredded carrots are the best in baked goods.
- Fill a large ziplock bag with the donut batter and cut one corner off. This makes filling the pans much easier.
- Do not fill the donut cavities more than half full or they will be too big and take longer to bake.
- Let the donuts cool completely before dipping them in frosting. If the donuts are warm, the icing will melt and slide right off.
More Carrot Cake Recipes
Coconut, pineapple, raisins, and carrots make this Loaded Carrot Cake recipe the best Easter dessert! Add a pan of this easy cake to your holiday plans!
These sweet Cream Cheese Carrot Cake Muffins are soft and delicious and will make you think you are eating carrot cake for breakfast.
This sweet Homemade Coconut Bread is loaded with veggies making it acceptable to eat “carrot cake” for breakfast.
This spiced Carrot Bundt Cake is loaded with carrots, nuts, and raisins. It is a soft, dense cake that is great for Easter parties or dinners.
"Veggies are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie" Jim Davis
I love this quote! It is now my life motto! LOL! Power to the VEGGIES!!!
(original photo from January 2012)
*The post for these Carrot Cake Donuts was first published on January 29, 2012. The photos were updated and the post was republished April 12, 2019.