Peanut Butter Easter Bunnies

Peanut Butter Easter Bunnies - homemade peanut butter filled chocolate bunny candies.  My kids go crazy for these!

Why is it that as a kid
things seem so much larger than what they really are?

My husband just cracks up
when I talk about the chocolate bunnies
we used to get in our Easter baskets.

I swear they were 2 feet tall and solid chocolate!!!!

He just laughs at me and says,
“Do you realize how much one like that would cost?
“There is no way your parents bought 5 of those!”

I don’t care how silly I sound…
I still say they were that big :-)
and I always ate them ears first!!!!
They pretty much lasted a good month or more!

This time of year also brings back
great memories of going to my grandparent’s house
for our annual Saturday egg hunt.
The best part was the huge peanut butter eggs
that had our name on them!!!
(they were at least a pound each)

They were the absolute best!
I am not sure where they got them…
but they were delicious!

The peanut butter filling in these bunnies
totally reminds me of those eggs.

GUESS WHAT?

You know where I am going with this right?
Yup, my kids are getting huge peanut butter eggs
with their names on them this year.
I think it is a great tradition to start up!

First I decided to fill an old bunny candy mold
that I had from when I was little….
but you could totally shape it into eggs
and dip those too.
(some time this week I will be making those big eggs)

Peanut Butter Easter Bunnies

Peanut Butter Easter Bunnies

Homemade peanut butter cream filling inside a chocolate candy bunny shell. These are so fun to fill Easter baskets with.

6 Tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup marshmallow cream
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
8 ounces chocolate CandiQuik (or your favorite melting chocolate)

1. In mixing bowl, cream butter, peanut butter, marshmallow cream, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the sugar.
  2. Melt the chocolate CandiQuik according to the package directions. Paint the inside of your candy mold with chocolate. Refrigerate for 2 minutes. Check mold to see if there are areas that need a second coat of chocolate. Refrigerate again. Fill with peanut butter mixture leaving room for more chocolate. Spoon a small amount of chocolate over the top of the peanut butter mixture covering everything. Refrigerate until firm. Flip the mold over and pop out the bunny.

Notes

*You can also shape the peanut butter mixture into eggs and freeze for 20 minutes. Then dip into the melted chocolate, set on waxed paper, and add some sprinkles.

Comments

1) I would give my left breast for one of those bunnies.

2) The huge peanut butter eggs you mention sound very similar to what I always had while I was growing up in the U.P. of Michigan: http://www.saykllys.com/index.php?sPage=fudge_easter_eggs

Now, I don’t see the PB option on the list anymore, but I know that they used to have them, and that if you bought them in the store, they’d write your name on it for you.

I’m sure it’s not the exact same thing, but still, if you ever want to get nostalgic and try something similar, Sayklly’s has the BEST chocolate I’ve ever had in my entire life.

Love your blog, by the way, even if I am a hopeless lurker. :)

This recipe sounds great :) I remember huge hollow bunnies when I was little and for some reason, I still prefer a hollow one – I like the thin chocolate that melts in your mouth!

I have a question, where do you get your molds for your chocolate treats? I have looked for egg molds all over our city so I could make the homemade cadbury eggs and can’t find any. Thanks!!

These look amazing! I’d love to try making these.

Thanks for linking up. I’d appreciate it if you would add a link in your post back to Tasty Tuesdays so more people can join in on the fun!
    Alissa

5. Jocelyn says

I agree…oh no you didn’t!!!!!

I have got to try this out…there goes the 3 pounds I lost last week!!!!

I remember those huge Easter Bunnies and yes they were 2 feet tall!!!

Have a great one!!!

My husband and I talk about the sizing thing all the time! I took him to the McDonalds I used to go to as a kid because the playground was huge. Ummm, it’s not huge anymore! I swear it was bigger! : )

Anyway, these look absolutely delicious!

Peanut butter and chocolate are my absolute fave! Can’t wait to try your recipe… the bunnies look fantastic! And yes I agree… yes they were 2′ tall… or bigger, when we were kids! ;)

dumb question, but I’m assuming I could use melted marshmallows in this recipe. And as super amazing as you seem and as sure as I am that we would be best friends if we met, I am convinced you are set to sabotage any efforts I have to curb my sweet tooth!

Peanut butter @ chocolate bunnies. A recipe straight from Heaven I’m sure! My grandparents owned Aleyeska Candy Kitchen in Anchorage, AK for many years and they had a mold for solid chocolate Easter Bunnies that was so big you couldn’t begin to finish the bunny in – even a week!

Yum! I love peanut butter and chocolate! I don’t have a bunny mold, but I’ll have to make this recipe anyway! How about an Easter Choo choo train? :-)

I would love to try this recipe, it looks great. However it will have to wait now until I lose some weight. :) Hubby and I just started a diet…not fun!

Thanks for sharing.

Yum yum!!! Just saw you on the It’s a Keeper Thur. Hop! Stop on over at my blog and link up this tasty recipe in my Easter/Spring Recipe/Idea Hop! If you have others, feel free to link up! I’ll keep it going for a few months so you should get some visits from it!!!

Have a great weekend, SusieQTpies at Scraps of Life

*I’m following you now on Facebook and follow your blog via GFC!

They not only sound delicious, but they’re beautifully, done Jocelyn. I do some chocolatiering every year for Easter, but didn’t make any candies with centers this year. Next year, however, your bunnies are on my “must-make” list. I’ve been looking for a good PB filling recipe and yours looks like the ultimate!

Thanks for keeping up the inspiration on “A Little Birdie Told Me…” at Rook No. 17!

Jenn

Those are great! And too funny the giant bunnies! I agree with you! That and different landmarks seemed to take hours and hours to get to but now as an adult I can’t figure why I thought that 15 minute trip took hours and hours…
    Thanks for linkg up to Making It With Allie!
    Alliemakes.blogspot.com