Neapolitan Fudge and a trip to the Duncan Hines Test Kitchen

Three layers of cookie and fudge make this Neapolitan Fudge a knockout treat when it comes to dessert!

Neapolitan Fudge - three layers of cookie and fudge in one delicious bite of fudge

I realize that it is October, and that there is pink fudge staring back at you.  You will understand in a minute!  Plus Neapolitan is kind of an all year round kind of flavor…right?

Earlier this summer I entered this Neapolitan Fudge into the Duncan Hines Spring Bake Off contest!   Imagine my surprise and pure delight when I got the email notifying me that my recipe had been chosen as one of the 10 winners!  We were at the movies when I opened my email…I think I about knocked my husband over when I went running over to tell him that exciting news :-)

Fast forward to just a few weeks ago.  Duncan Hines hosted an absolutely fun event for the bake off winners, their blog program, and some trip giveaway winners.  We all met in New Jersey at the Duncan Hines Test Kitchen for a weekend of fun and treats.
SAMSUNG CSC

The first night we all came together for a meet and greet with dinner and dessert.  Guess what dessert was???  :-)

Chef Joe and his team made the bake off winners recipes for us to all try for dessert.  How cool is that!?!

Duncan Hines trip 3

It was so exciting to see my fudge with a fun name tag on the winners table.  Seriously goes in my books as one of the best days!

The scariest part though…getting up in front of everyone and saying what your dessert was and how you used the Duncan Hines Frosting Creation in it.  The one thing that scares me to death is public speaking, so believe me, my knees were knocking together as I walked up and talked my way through that.  Mine was probably the shortest description.  LOL!

I ate way too much good food that night.  I felt it was my blogger’s duty to test every single dessert on that table.  Ok, I actually only ate half of every one!
Duncan Hines trip collage 4

On Saturday morning we arrived at the Pinnacle building for a red carpet entrance.  Duncan Hines is just one of the brands that they test there.  (Some other ones include Mrs. Butterworth, Bird’s Eye, Lenders, Vlasic, and Aunt Jemimah.)

Everyone had their own “Sweet Star” with balloons on the red carpet and an adorable red apron.  What a fun way to be greeted at the building!!!   My star is now on my desk to remind me of the amazing weekend we had!

Duncan Hines trip collage 2

Some of the fun things that awaited us that day was a cake decorating demo from Wilton.  Did you know that Wilton only uses Duncan Hines cake mixes in their recipes?  Just a fun fact I learned.

We also spent some time in their Ideation Room learning about dessert trends and food science.  All the walls in the room are white boards.  They use it just for that…ideas and inventions.  How fun would it be to work there, although with all the recipe taste testing, I might need some new pants soon.

Chef Joe is the head pastry chef at the DH test kitchen.  He spent all afternoon showing us how to make caramel, mousse, meringue, chocolate curls, sugar bubbles, and pie crust from a cake mix.  It was so exciting to watch him work.  He loves what he does and his passion was definitely evident as he created sugar magic right in front of us.  We learned so much and I can’t wait to try some new things in my kitchen.

Duncan Hines trip collage 3
Something else that made this trip so exciting and fun was that I got to spend the weekend with some of my best blog friends.  It was so neat that we all ended up there as bloggers or winners together.  Dorothy, Ashton, and Aimee have become some of my best friends through blogging.  Love that we got to experience this sugar trip together!

Duncan Hines trip collage 1

I also had the chance to meet and chat with Toni, Becca, and Averie.  It is always so much fun to connect with your computer friends in real life because it makes that relationship so much stronger.    It was also great to reconnect with Kristy and Nikki again.  We had a blast staying up late at night just chatting about blogging and how to manage it all.  These girls are all amazing, and I am thrilled to be on this blog journey with them.

Duncan Hines totally pampered us all weekend long.  It was incredible to see their generosity and hospitality in action.  This is definitely a weekend I will remember for a very long time.

Duncan Hines trip 10

Now how about some fudge?  If you are still reading you need a few pieces of this to get you going again :-)

This fudge idea actually started with my husband.  He is great at throwing out fun baking ideas that I get to create.   I must say this was one of my favorites that he came up with.  My twist to it was the chocolate cookie crust.  Aren’t we a great team?

I love the Duncan Hines Frosting Creations.  They are meant to flavor frosting for cakes, but…I like to use it in things like popcorn and other kinds of fudge.

Two kinds of fudge and a cookie crust…yup, I think I need to make another batch.  Who wants to make fudge with me?

Stay up to date on all the BruCrew baking here:

FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN

Neapolitan Fudge

Yield: 72 pieces of fudge

Neapolitan Fudge

Chocolate cookie crumbs give this vanilla and strawberry fudge a fun twist to the neopolitan flavor.

Chocolate Crust
4 cups crushed chocolate cookie crumbs
12 Tablespoons butter, melted
Vanilla Fudge
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup marshmallow cream
Strawberry Fudge
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup marshmallow cream
1 packet Duncan Hines Strawberry Shortcake Frosting Creation

1. Combine the cookie crumbs and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. In a saucepan combine the white chocolate chips, butter, and sweetened condensed milk for the vanilla layer. Stir over medium low heat until melted and creamy. Stir in the marshmallow cream. Pour over the crust in the prepared pan. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
  3. In another saucepan combine the white chocolate chips, butter, and sweetened condensed milk for the strawberry layer. Stir over medium low heat until melted and creamy. Stir in the Strawberry Shortcake packet and the marshmallow cream. Gently pour over the vanilla layer. Refrigerate 4 hours or until completely set. Cut into 72 small squares. Store at room temperature in a loosely covered container.

Other fun ways to use Frosting Creations in fudge:

Thin_Mint_Fudge_Brownies_2

Thin Mint Fudge Brownies

Mocha Mallow Fudge 2

Mocha Mallow Fudge

*BruCrew Life was provided a trip to the Duncan Hines kitchen for winning the bake off contest, but no other compensation was given.  All opinions are 100% my own.

Comments

For anyone reading this post, I ATE THAT FUDGE and it was the BEST THING I ATE ALL WEEKEND on the trip. Duncan Hines is great, but they’ve got nothing on Jocelyn’s fudge. It’s SO GOOD!

Jocelyn it was awesome meeting you and thanks for including me in a few pics in your roundup of the weekend. It was so much fun (such a whirlwind!) and I love the story behind this fudge and how it came to be and your hubs just throwing out ideas! Pinned!
    Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..White Chocolate-Topped Cinnamon Chip Cinnamon BarsMy Profile

I am so glad I finally got to meet you too. I honestly feel like I already knew you from reading your blog for so long though. Seriously I am so glad you liked the fudge so much…I think it is one of my absolute favorites too :-)

2. BA Bonetti says

Looks yummy! My husband, who is Neapolitan, wants you to correct the spelling. It’s an a, not an o, following the e.

That is so awesome! Way to go you!!!! I don’t mind public speaking as much as I don’t like singing in front of a crowd…which is why I was never in any musicals during my drama days of high school, lol! I’m going to have to make these for my daughters. I have a feeling that they will love them!
    Chels R. recently posted..Crockpot Southwestern White Chicken ChiliMy Profile

Woohoo! Congrats! What an awesome time it looks like you had! And that fudge looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe! And I’m so glad it was all about Duncan Hines, because seriously….they ARE the BEST of all the cake mixes! No question! I’ve not tried the frosting creations packets yet……but I’m definitely headed to get that strawberry shortcake flavor……cuz I NEED to make this fudge! LOL
    Regan recently posted..Where did September go???My Profile

5. Cindy Todd says

I don’t think I can get the Duncan Hines Strawberry Shortcake Frosting Creations in Canada. Do you have a alternative suggestion to get the pink layer?

6. Katie says

While this fugde looks like it will taste amazing, I followed the recipe to the letter and it does not turn out.
    The proportions of the crumb bottom and each of the fudge layers is incorrect. If you glance at the proportions of each layer, you can see that each of the fudge layers is not even 75% of the cookie volume (~4 cups cookie to less than 3 cups fudge). This makes it nearly impossible to spread each layer of fudge. Perhaps the cookie layer should be halved and done in a much smaller pan.
    Also, to attain the colours in the photo, you must have used food colouring. The flavour packet alone did not produce that pretty pink.

I have actually made this a few different times and the head chef at Duncan Hines made this too without any problems. I am sorry to hear you had problems with the recipe. The measurements are all right. If you look at the picture again, you will see that the crust is smaller than both layers of fudge together. What size pan did you make yours in? And did you allow enough time for it to set up properly? And no, I did not use any food coloring at all in my recipe. The frosting packets will give a pretty pink.

• Katie says

I made the fudge in a 9×13. After setting all afternoon, I cut some for dessert and found the crust too crumbly as well. It tasted great, but doesn’t look anything like the photos. My strawberry layer looks salmon coloured. But it was delicious!

I am really sorry it didn’t work out for you. You could always use more butter in the crust. As for not setting up, honestly I always make fudge the night before and let it set up in the refrigerator overnight. It does take a little longer for it to get hard. I am glad you enjoyed the taste. Food coloring would help get a brighter pink if you like. It must have been my lighting and camera…but I do remember mine being pretty pink.

• Katie says

Thanks for your reply :)
            Have you every tried baking the crust? I had someone suggest that option as well and was wondering if you or anyone had tried that.
            It was delicious, even if it didn’t look as pretty as the picture :) I like the texture — I think some of the texture is thanks to the marshmallow fluff!

Ok, so the texture of this fudge is what I love the absolute most. You are right that it is from the marshmallow…it is seriously addicting. I haven’t tried baking the crust, but I definitely think it would help it set up more and be harder like what you are looking for. Maybe 8 minutes or so?

This fudge looks incredible! I wouldn’t have thought of using frosting or marshmellow cream to make fudge. genius! I have never been that great with recipes that require layering, but I’d be willing to try to pull this off:)

8. Sarah says

I was just wandering what kind of chocolate cookies u used? I got Oreos, will that work and would I take the cream off?

9. Ameya Anil Vartak says

In India marshmallow or marshmallow cream are rare find at least in my city pune so please tell me the substitute for it to make fudge.
    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Ameya Vartak.

I am so sorry to hear you cannot get the ingredients for this fudge. Unfortunately there is not a substitution for this. You could google it and find a recipe for homemade marshmallow cream that you could use in place of the store bought.

10. Nadja says

Let me say first: great pics! You ladies look like you had the best wkend ever! :-)

… your fudge looks divine. Saving the recipe and will give it a try. I just love the colouring.
    I assume Marshmallow cream is the same as Marshmallow fluff (pleeeze say ‘Yes’, because that’s the only Marshmallow stuff we can buy here in the store….).

All the best from Holland :-)